Living in the United States vs Europe

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan

I thought this was a quite interesting monologue, and I find myself agreeing with her on many points. She talks about topics such as fear for crime, public transit, ads and materialism, work-life balance, housing, communal areas, and eating out vs in. Would be interested in hearing opinions from others who have visited both continents! I realize the video is a bit one-sided, and I'll add that personally I've always thoroughly enjoyed my visits to the U.S. I also feel like I've had some great culinary experiences in the U.S. (great vegan food!), and I never personally felt unsafe anywhere I visited over there.

Reactions: Poppy and Val
It's a shame that the video is so long plus the she repeats herself non stop. It would have also been interesting to
know what she did for a living whilst she was in Europe.

When you compare Europe to to the US, one must bear in mind that Europe is made up of different countries, cultures, languages and some countries are richer than others.

What she points out about crime, wanting to own a large house, shopping experiences and TV ads are true of both continents. In Europe most countries have little space, hence the smaller roads and houses/flats. The public transport system is far more developed because historically we had an Industrial revolution. The major difference with US TV ads are that pharmaceutical companies promote medication if not they are all basically the same.
It would be too difficult to compare dining within the two continents due to so many different ways that people dine out within Europe alone. I would
say that there are far more fast food options in the US but in Europe we are not far behind. I've had mainly good experiences in the US and find that dining works out cheaper compared to France.

One thing that did stand out to me in the US , is that the shopping and dining experience is better as the staff
seem far more motivated. Having said that the whole shopping experience in the UK compared to France is far better
as the staff are far friendlier. So, sometimes even within Europe, experiences can be totally different.
However, I didn't like the thrift stores in the US as they didn't seem clean and the stuff
wasn't displayed elegantly as in the UK. In the latter some towns have up to 30 thrift stores and the experience is totally different. The staff seem very motivated to help charities. In France we only have 2 main charities who have either a huge warehouse or a place on the outskirts and the stuff is usually junk and the staff on the whole are not friendly. I actually donate my stuff to US and UK charity shops and it's more meaningful for me to haul the stuff in my suitcase.

I think that you can feel safe or unsafe anywhere as it depends on the neighbourhood and town where you live. Whilst visiting the US, I have always felt very safe in houses that I've stayed in and shops that I visited. On the other hand, many of the Mediterranean countries feel unsafe due to thefts and home invasions. Where I live, you have policeman with machine guns in the centre of town. There are far more crimes in larger cities everywhere.

Saying that there are lots of fresh produce markets in Europe and that Americans don't eat fresh food is untrue. I don't know one single person who goes to the market over here and many buy ready made food. It all depends, on where you live and what you do during the day. People who work will either have home deliveries or go to the hypermarket. At our local market it is mainly the elderly and tourists that go there. During my various stays in the US, all the meals were made of fresh produce.

So, I think that her version is one sided and it is difficult to put one country or continent into a category. Whilst there are
many things that may be true of one country, it doesn't mean that all the people live in that manner.

I might want to start my post with stating that I have not lived in the US for any long time. My knowledge is basically that of a total of possibly 2 months spent there on business trips. I have mainly lived in Europe and Asia so far.

Nevertheless, I do interact a lot with Americans, follow American news and, of course, much of the media I consume (books, movies, TV, internet) is produced in the US, so I do have some kind of an outsider's view.

Please allow me to use a very recent event in the US to illustrate my personal opinion of the US and its inhabitants:

NYPD Looks Into Shocking Video of Officers Wrestling a 1-Year-Old From His Mother’s Arms

To shortly summarize the story, a black 23-year-old woman with her 1-year-old baby went to the Brooklyn Human Ressources Association that was packed. She sat down on the floor with her baby. A security person informed her that she is not allowed to sit on the floor. Very likely she asked the security person what else she was supposed to do as there were no free seats and 'gave some lip'. The security person replied by calling the police, which arrived and proceeded to arrest the woman for sitting on the floor. The officers in a very aggressive way yanked her baby from her hands, handcuffed her and arrested her. The story ended with her being held without bail for resisting arrest and child endangerment. After some time, the NYC administration is now "looking into the incident", with several politicians so far expressing dismay about her treatment.

This raises, to me, some thoughts about the people involved.

1) The security person(s) and the other people working at the HRA - supposedly social services workers: How in the world would you consider it a good idea to call the police on a mother with a baby for sitting on the floor? Is that how "social services" are handled in the US?

2) The other people sitting there - how is that even possible? Let's be very honest - in the event that something similar to this happened in Europe, if a mother with a 1-year-old baby comes and does not find a seat, and nobody immediately himself volunteered to give up his seat, by the time a security person starts to berate the mother for sitting on the floor, I personally would be way to ashamed to continue to sit on a seat and look at that mother being threatened with the police. I simply could not stay sitting and mind my own business, and I guess a good portion of people would think the same. How is that even possible that able-bodied people continue to look at this, and say to themselves "Well, lucky I have a seat, too bad for her" ???

3) The police - specifically the female officer who aggressively and rudely tries to yank the baby from his mothers arms, with no regard at all for the well-being of that baby? It looks like a football game with people tackling the other team's quarterback and trying to get him to release the ball. Everybody who is elder than 6 years should understand or know by now that is no way to treat a baby. In the first place, how could those people claiming to "protect and serve", who were summoned via a 911 (emergency) call, not a) inform the security person that a lady sitting on the floor and being uncivil does not constitute an emergency, and b) ask the assembled people whether there was not somebody to free up a seat so this whole situation could be remedied? No, they moved in on her for not doing as the powers to be told her, regardless of her health and well-being and that of her small baby. If they remind me of anything, then of the "Peace-Keepers", the fascist suppression force in the "Hunger Games" dystopian fantasy.

4) The people hearing about this incident - While there was, understandably, an uproar about this video, there were also a number of people who continued to claim that "it was her own fault" and "she was the only one to blame" ... for not doing as she was told. No real need to check those people's facebook profiles ... but for the sake of completeness yes, they are all white, yes they all have praise for President Trump on their timeline. They presumably use their own real names, complete with place of work to stand proudly and claim that if you are a criminal (for sitting down on the floor) you deserve what happens to you and your baby. I have to say that I can only hope that some of those are not real American people but paid Russian trolls.

So ... how is all that relevant for the question at hand?
What I personally think I have observed time and again is that many Americans are mainly motivated by greed, fear, egotism and quite likely racism. They do not care anything about compassion as long as showing no compassion can lower their personal taxes a little bit. They look down on poor people, sick people, old people, presumably because they themselves are lucky enough to be affluent, healthy and still young, so they see no need to be compassionate to others that are not as lucky.

While in Europe people are typically not enthusiastic about their personal tax burdens (which are much higher, on average, than in the US), everybody understands that taxes are a necessary evil in a society that is needed to build roads, finance universities, pay doctors' salaries and provide pensions for people who are retired. As I see history, the US was founded by a bunch of people who were unhappy about having to pay taxes to the English king (granted, at that time, those taxes were likely spent on more frivolous things), and it seems - to me - that this history has somehow infected the national character.

So, how it looks to me, Trump is not the cause of this. He is a mere symptom. In the 2016 election, 28 % of the voters actively voted for Clinton, 27 % voted for Trump, and 43 % did not care enough to vote. (Likely they felt it did not really concern them, or were fine with the possible outcome, so why bother).

To me that suggests that Trump - with all his greed, deceitfulness,hate, racism, fear-mongering, incompetence, arrogance and laziness ... is exactly the president that can claim to rightfully represent that country. Too bad for the roughly 30% who think otherwise and try to be compassionate ... and the rest of mankind who has to live with the results of that election and the resulting policies since then.

• Disagree
Reactions: shyvas
I think that living in or visiting a country are two totally different experiences. The latter being very short and usually in a more laid back atmosphere compared to actually working and living in a country, hence mingling with the population.

An important criteria to what differentiates a country is it's people. I very often hear of the same comment continuously made by many French people when they compare London to Paris.

Whilst they think that the latter is a far more beautiful city, they appreciate the atmosphere and vibe of London. This is even shared with youngsters who absolutely prefer London because it has quite a unique buzz.

When I fly back on easyJet from London the plane is always jam packed with French people. I usually hear all the positive comments and how they enjoyed the trip. I have also noticed the different atmosphere on UK based airline companies compared to French ones.

Reactions: KLS52
The latter being very short and usually in a more laid back atmosphere compared to actually working and living in a country, hence mingling with the population.

An important criteria to what differentiates a country is it's people.
Yes - the culture! It seems to me that the cultures within Europe are quite heterogeneous, i.e. a lot of quite distinct cultures, whereas within the U. S. it's not quite as diverse. And that is obviously only to be expected considering the history of the two, and the fact that the U. S. is a singly country whereas Europe consists of 44 countries.

Yes - the culture! It seems to me that the cultures within Europe are quite heterogeneous, i.e. a lot of quite distinct cultures, whereas within the U. S. it's not quite as diverse. And that is obviously only to be expected considering the history of the two, and the fact that the U. S. is a singly country whereas Europe consists of 44 countries.

I also think that it depends on the actual State. California and the southern states have a lot of diverse cultures as well as NY. I would imagine that all the fly over states do not have as many foreigners.

I also think that it depends on the actual State. California and the southern states have a lot of diverse cultures as well as NY. I would imagine that all the fly over states do not have as many foreigners.
There is definitely big differences within the U. S., just not as different as in Europe. For one, in the U. S. they mostly speak the same language - English, although Spanish is also becoming a major language. Whereas in Europe almost every country has its own language. I've read somewhere reputable (I think!) that your language even influences the way you think.

If someone offered me the chance to live in the US I would take it like a shot. Despite the politics/Trump/gun issues.:p

I would love to live somewhere like San Francisco/ Manhattan/ Portland/ Laguna beach/ Malibu etc...

I would have to be rich though, I have heard from other people that you need about $1 million if you wanted to move there.

I quite like living in London, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere in Europe! Maybe Switzerland, if anywhere.

If someone offered me the chance to live in the US I would take it like a shot. Despite the politics/Trump/gun issues.:p

I would love to live somewhere like San Francisco/ Manhattan/ Portland/ Laguna beach/ Malibu etc...

I would have to be rich though, I have heard from other people that you need about $1 million if you wanted to move there.

I quite like living in London, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere in Europe! Maybe Switzerland, if anywhere.

Same here as my choices would also be Malibu, SF, UK and Switzerland.

I knew that you had to have quite a huge sum to be able to qualify for a permanent residence visa for the US. However, $1m sounds very little to my mind. :p Perhaps it does depend on which state you decide to live in.

Last edited:
I must admit I find U. S. politics so distasteful, both domestic and foreign policy, that at least for the time being, I don't think I would want to live there even though I have in-law family there. I wouldn't really want my daughter to grow up in a country that is increasingly hostile to women, so dominated by religion and with the gun violence, school shootings and other mass shootings on top of that. And also the issues of lacking affordable health care and the unhealthy fast food culture.

I must admit I find U. S. politics so distasteful, both domestic and foreign policy, that at least for the time being, I don't think I would want to live there even though I have in-law family there. I wouldn't really want my daughter to grow up in a country that is increasingly hostile to women, so dominated by religion and with the gun violence, school shootings and other mass shootings on top of that. And also the issues of lacking affordable health care and the unhealthy fast food culture.

That seems like a bleak picture. Why do so many people want to emigrate to the US ?

I knew that you had to have quite a huge sum to be able to qualify for a permanent residence visa for the US. However, $1m sounds very little to my mind. :p

Oh wow, really?:eek::D

I follow a couple on YouTube and they are retired (very young, in their thirties!) and they are able to travel in an RV around the US and I find it very interesting to see the places they go to. There seem to be lots of pretty little towns in the US. I'm always surprised by how much space there is there!

Oh wow, really?:eek::D

I follow a couple on YouTube and they are retired (very young, in their thirties!) and they are able to travel in an RV around the US and I find it very interesting to see the places they go to. There seem to be lots of pretty little towns in the US. I'm always surprised by how much space there is there!

You may be right but $ 1 m isn't a lot once you buy a home and get medical insurance etc.

A road trip must be very exciting as there are a lot of faraway places that seem nice to visit. I have been to the West, East coast plus Florida. I have never been to the mid west states or to Oregan.

That seems like a bleak picture. Why do so many people want to emigrate to the US ?
I think many of these people come from places that are even worse off, often somewhere south of the border, and they choose to go to the U. S. because it's the only developed, wealthy country they realistically can hope to settle in.

Last edited:
You may be right but $ 1 m isn't a lot once you buy a home and get medical insurance etc.

Yes, insurance must be a problem because of the expense.

I was thinking I wouldn't mind living in Dublin as well. Some of my family moved from London to outside Dublin and they really love living there, they live in a more rural area though and I wouldn't like that. Scotland is meant to be good for vegans, but I think I would find it too cold.:p

Yes, insurance must be a problem because of the expense.

I was thinking I wouldn't mind living in Dublin as well. Some of my family moved from London to outside Dublin and they really love living there, they live in a more rural area though and I wouldn't like that. Scotland is meant to be good for vegans, but I think I would find it too cold.:p

I've never been to Ireland or Scotland. I think that they may be a bit too remote for my liking.

Oh, yeah, I meant to say yesterday that there is a young woman on YouTube, Sarah Nourse, who is from the US but married to a Swiss man. She has lived in Switzerland, Berlin, New Jersey and now back in Switzerland and she posts videos about the differences between the US and Switzerland. Quite interesting. They are both vegan too.

I've never been to Ireland or Scotland. I think that they may be a bit too remote for my liking.

I've never been to Scotland either. I should visit there one day.

Reactions: Val
Oh, yeah, I meant to say yesterday that there is a young woman on YouTube, Sarah Nourse, who is from the US but married to a Swiss man. She has lived in Switzerland, Berlin, New Jersey and now back in Switzerland and she posts videos about the differences between the US and Switzerland. Quite interesting. They are both vegan too.

I've never been to Scotland either. I should visit there one day.

We could do a road trip.:p

Last edited: