Living as a vegan or vegetarian in the UK

Everleigh

Forum Legend
Reaction score
This is kind of a question for anybody on here who lives in the UK or who has perhaps visited and know where there is relatively a high volume of vegan grocery stores,thrift stores and just a good all around place to live for vegans and vegetarians in the UK?I have a friend who is thinking of moving to the UK in the near future and they just wanted to know if I could give them some suggestions.

We've lived in the UK for 8 years now. I haven't been around to a lot of places though, but generally, I think it's better in the south, with the exception of some bigger cities up north. London obviously has everything, including the all-vegan grocery store Veganz which is opening later this year I think, and also several Whole Foods stores, many, many vegan / vegetarian restaurants etc, but I don't personally like big cities like that.

Things are more expensive in the south than the north, so they need to factor that in if it's a concern.

Personally, if I had the money and could somehow find suitable employment, I think I would want to live somewhere posh on the south coast.

We've lived in the UK for 8 years now. I haven't been around to a lot of places though, but generally, I think it's better in the south, with the exception of some bigger cities up north. London obviously has everything, including the all-vegan grocery store Veganz which is opening later this year I think, and also several Whole Foods stores, many, many vegan / vegetarian restaurants etc, but I don't personally like big cities like that.

Things are more expensive in the south than the north, so they need to factor that in if it's a concern.
I'll let them know.I think they were thinking about Manchester but I don't know.So ,I'll have to let them know the info on London too.

Hi Everleigh,

Brighton is probably one of the most vegan and veggie friendly places to live in the UK with an excellent huge independent health food store. There's lots in London too, although that's more spread about.

Glastonbury is pretty good too - lots of vegans and veggies there. I'd say Brighton is the best place though. Bristol is pretty good too.... with lots of veggie cafes and eating places and vegan group meet ups.

Check out www.happycow.net for listings of in these cities.

Trinity