Live Theatre

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
The thread to discuss live plays, musicals, performance art, one-person shows, cabaret, etc. (For discussion of straight music concerts, please see this thread: Music - What bands / concerts have you seen lately? )

Anyway, "Hamilton" has come to Los Angeles and I'd love to see it, but if it's as popular here as it is in New York, it may already be difficult to get tickets for a good seat. :confused:

We saw The Quill's (regional Shakespeare group) outdoor version of Love's Labours Lost a few weeks back and thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately their new show (Macbeth) isn't receiving very good reviews.

Last edited:
I haven't been to a live performance in years but really would like to go to the Athens Theater right downtown Deland sometime. There is an active performing arts community and the theater is a historical building that was restored a few years ago.

Athens Theatre - DeLand, Florida

I haven't been to a live performance in years but really would like to go to the Athens Theater right downtown Deland sometime. There is an active performing arts community and the theater is a historical building that was restored a few years ago.

Athens Theatre - DeLand, Florida
Same here. I really need to check out local theater groups, as the prices for shows in New York and Boston are super expensive. The closest I've come is going to a movie theater to watch the National Theatre Live performances on the big screen. I've seen Hamlet, Frankenstein and Othello, which were all wonderful. I love Rory Kinnear.

I haven't been to a theatre in years either. I used to have to go and see plays (mostly Shakespeare) with my class when I was at school and college.

One play I went to see as an adult and really loved was The Woman in Black. There is one famous scary bit when almost everyone in the audience jumps.

It's a coincidence that this thread popped up as I was looking at a local theatre and what was on there yesterday. They have a show called Vivaldi by Candlelight that I might go to. It's obviously just music and not a play, although the musicians (Locrian Ensemble) dress up in traditional period costume.

Reactions: PTree15
I haven't been to a theatre in years either. I used to have to go and see plays (mostly Shakespeare) with my class when I was at school and college.

One play I went to see as an adult and really loved was The Woman in Black. There is one famous scary bit when almost everyone in the audience jumps.

It's a coincidence that this thread popped up as I was looking at a local theatre and what was on there yesterday. They have a show called Vivaldi by Candlelight that I might go to. It's obviously just music and not a play, although the musicians (Locrian Ensemble) dress up in traditional period costume.

That last one sounds interesting. I love Vivaldi's music and I think it would be fun to hear his music played by musicians in period dress. Sort of like going to a Renaissance Fair where the performers wear era-appropriate costumes.

Reactions: PTree15
A couple months ago I was alerted to a new proposal for Bay City Players. It has long been a gripe of mine (as well as Jerry) that they keep doing the same kind of "safe" predictable crap (with a couple exceptions), and are constantly reviving old shows... they're not taking risks, ya know?? :dismay:

Then I saw this (from a meeting my mother attended)....

DownStage.jpeg <---- That's the kinda thing Jer & I have talked about for years! A more intimate setting, sort of black-box style (but on the apron)....

So with this in mind, I went searching for some lesser-known shows... preferably riskier ones (due to language/subject matter/etc.) with extremely small casts. Jer & I have also talked (for a couple years now) about doing a production of Misery together.... :D

And I found this site yesterday! :) Small Cast Size

Let's see... I left off in the Gs....

Oh, and lookie here...
INDIE THEATER NOW WILL END OPERATIONS ON SEP 26, 2017. LAST DAY TO PURCHASE PLAYS IS SEP 4, 2017.
**sigh** Figures. :brood: I'll have to find other means....

Last edited:
Review: A Wondrous ‘Pinocchio’ With That ‘Lion King’ Magic

06pinocchio-1-master1050.jpg

06pinocchio-3-superJumbo.jpg

The Mouse Trap & Jeeves Takes a Bow. I attended both plays whilst I was in Canada. The latter was hilarious and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I also saw an English play over here last year which was performed by a local group of British actors. I can't remember the name of the play but the theme was about a couple of Brits in Provence. Not too bad but not a memorable evening.

I wish that I could go to the theatre more often as it is one of my favourite pastimes.

https://www.cowichanvalleycitizen.c...ow-as-trilogy-concludes-at-chemainus-theatre/

I guess that fits here nicely, but last week my wife and I decided to visit the OPERA :)
A colleague's husband had fallen ill, and they had some tickets for "The Magic Flute" the same day at the Hannover Opera house, so she was looking to sell the tickets as they could not go themselves.

It was very nice, especially as my wife had never before been to see an opera. During my formative years in Vienna, Austria, of course, it had been expected of a somehow cultured person to attend an opera now and then, but I also had not been to the opera for a long time, preferring classical concerts instead.

What surprised me was the amount of racism and misogyny present in the piece - of course, as the opera had been written 225 years ago, it is not up to today's standards, and I also understand that the director can not simply change the lines and the story, still, it was surprising to encounter it again (even more so as the program booklet illustrated that Mozart supposedly was a very progressive person - for his time - and is believed to have been trying to get women admitted to freemason groups).

One thing connected to that which I did not like at all was the director's decision to depict one of the main figures, the "Queen of the Night", as a hysterical woman (hard to describe it anyhow different). This left a bad aftertaste in my mouth and made an otherwise pleasant experience less than perfect.

Other than that ... it was fun - now, while there is IMO no other way to describe opera than as "objectively boring" if you compare it to, say a movie, and I knew basically what was going to happen in every scene (which is a requirement, as you typically can not understand what the singers are singing, even if you understand the language), I was still sitting there with a stupid blissful grin on my face for most of the time, enjoying the impression and the music.

I was going to book tickets for Rope the other day, but then I thought that the Hitchcock film wasn't one of my favourites so I decided against it.

I want to go to the theatre at least one more time this year.

I was thinking about going to see Gore Vidal's The Best Man as I saw one of the actors talking about it on TV yesterday and she was saying that it was very relevant to American politics today. It is set in the 1960 Democratic party convention and is about two candidates fighting to achieve the presidential nomination.

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
I was thinking about going to see Gore Vidal's The Best Man as I saw one of the actors talking about it on TV yesterday and she was saying that it was very relevant to American politics today. It is set in the 1960 Democratic party convention and is about two candidates fighting to achieve the presidential nomination.
I was on costume crew for the local production of that show a couple years ago.... LOL