Literature A Personal Essay on Vegan Life in the Country

Vee1

Believe....
Reaction score
Hi,

I just posted this on the blog. Thought I would share :)

LIFE SURROUNDS ME

One Saturday afternoon my toddler, my dog and I walked a few blocks to a local sports oval. We were on our way to meet my husband who was participating in a charity cricket tournament. My husband is Canadian and had never played cricket. I was excited to witness him playing for the first time. My daughter and I strolled and chatted as we walked the 5 minutes or so towards the highway in the direction of the oval. As we approached I heard what sounded like shrill and excited voices. I was a little perplexed. The event was to raise money for charity and no doubt there would be quite a few people attending. The noise I heard, what I thought to be cheering and screaming, seemed to be way too loud and pronounced for a small country event. I remember seeming puzzled by the noise and thought that there must be a great deal of enthusiasm for what was happening at the oval.

REALISATION

As I got closer to the oval I could see a small crowd of people. They were milling around and as yet there was nothing happening on the cricket pitch. This did not seem right considering the ruckus I heard. I turned my head up the highway and then it hit me. I saw a large transport truck parked in the rest stop about 100 metres away. A wave of realisation rushed over me. The feeling of disgust and sorrow I often feel these days pulsed through my body. I knew that what I heard was not excitement or cheering but squealing pigs crammed in the truck on their way to slaughter. Their agony was so pronounced it was jarring. No doubt their fear was heightened by the fact that they sat crammed in a truck on the side of a highway going nowhere. Being intelligent animals I am certain that their upset was heightened by the fact that they knew eventually they were going somewhere.

IT NEVER ENDS

It is hard to describe the sadness of such a moment. I could not take my eyes off the truck as I continued to walk to my destination. All conversation with my daughter had stopped and we walked not saying a word. I wondered what she could hear though being only 3 years old I did not want to ask her. As her mother I want the innocence of the world around her to remain for as long as possible. Her education on how the world operates and maintains torture and specieism will come soon enough. This event haunted me for days and weeks. This moment stayed with me even longer because the noise I heard was so loud and so real. Living in a rural town the feelings of sorrow for the treatment of animals sits mostly silently within me. I am an outsider. There are few people who would even care about such a jarring event and when living so close to the highway the volume of animals I witness crammed in transport trucks is staggering.

There was a time when I could not look at these trucks. I would turn away if I saw them approaching. Even empty ones passing by would send a shiver all over me. I knew that such a truck was on its way to pick up animals for slaughter or had just delivered them to die. These days I have decided to change that approach. I am not going to shy away from difficult situations where animal suffering is concerned. I need to witness their suffering and send my positive thoughts to the animals I see. I will look into the trucks on the highway and see who is inside. A few weeks ago I saw cows in a transport truck. The cows were black with soft eyes. I looked into the truck and saw two on the bottom row looking back, peering at me. I sent them a little prayer as I do these days. I reassure myself that I am doing the right thing by witnessing their lives and actually caring about what happens to them.

GUILT AND SADNESS

Recently I was passed by a transport truck full of sheep. This truck was so jam-packed that one of the sheep had it hind leg extended out through the rails. I was in shock. I wondered how painful must this be for the animal. I thought about what was going through its mind as it moved towards its death. How could someone not notice or care about a sentient being and its welfare? The only way I could reconcile this experience in my mind was to hope that the suffering of this animal was short-lived, that its death was swift to end its misery. I feel ashamed to admit that I was hoping for the end of a life however at my core I realise that for some beings ending their lives quickly is a more favourable end result than prolonging the pain of living.

These days I have to do a great deal of soul-searching in regards to animal treatment. As one of the few vegans in my community I know that I am considered to be some kind of a freak. I have seen the look of pity people give me. They clearly believe that I am some misinformed soul who knows no better. I have been judged and ridiculed behind my back. However I also find that there are many people are genuinely interested in my views and how I choose to eat and live. I know that there are people here who understand that plant-based diets are healthy and on some basic level humans want to be healthy. Mothers want their children to eat fruits and vegetables. Adults and Elders want to live longer and pain-free.

FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN

People fear what they do not know nor understand. There is also a level of fear in change and in farming communities animals as commodities is rooted in industry and livelihood. My best defence is to not judge others, to not blame or shame them or give them any reason to be fearful. I will continue to be loving and accepting and tolerant of different views. I am grateful daily to live in such a physically beautiful, peaceful place. I am blessed with unconditionally accepting family and friends. They may not agree with me or me them, however it is the difference which often binds us. I know we are not the self-imposed labels humans delight in assigning. I understand that what I give out comes back to me. The best I can do is to continue to honour and respect all sentient beings who cross my path in my daily life in the place I call home.

Interesting Vee1. I'm an ethical vegan of many years living in the UK with my wife and rescue dog. I study the philosophy around animal rights and have many interesting books on the subject. I'm also an activist and I can relate to much of what you've said. 🤔