US Legal rights for animals feature

silva

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Ari Melber interviews renowned philosopher and author of the new book, “Justice for Animals,” Martha Nussbaum on his new series "Open Mind", on MSNBC.
Wonderful to see in the opening video the contrast of various rights being fought through history, and the idea that one day animals too will see some justice

Nice to see these ideas arguably going slowly a bit more mainstream. Assuming this went out on TV then I would guess hundreds of thousands of people have seen it or will see it. There are 40,000 views on the Youtube version of this alone (after 22 hours).

By the way, if you are very educated on vegan ethics and animals you won't learn much new from this (I skipped over a few bits), I'm just glad this is getting this viewing.

By the way, if you are very educated on vegan ethics and animals you won't learn much new from this (I skipped over a few bits), I'm just glad this is getting this viewing.
years ago, here on VF, there was a thread that I contributed to. We discussed how previous movements, like women's rights, civil rights, etc gained credence over time. And we speculated if the same could happen with animal rights.
It was heartening to see that someone else thinks so and was able to justify it so much better than I ever could.

Coincidence?

The renewed mainstream media interest in Nussbaum's book and the release of Chicken Run 2.

A message of liberation

Dawn of the Nugget makes a strong case for the liberation of animals from all farms. And it pulls it off without telling its audience what to do, because its target is the meat industry and its protagonists are chickens. There is no other world they could wish for than one where none of their kind is killed for food. This will probably make that idea more palatable to many.​
Maybe none of the messages I saw in the film were intended by the filmmakers. But the only way not to see those messages is to ignore all the context in which this film was made. The proliferation of intensive chicken farms in the UK and elsewhere. The callously misleading advertising by the meat industry. The fact that billions of chickens – who are sensitive, feeling individuals – suffer and die every year just so people can eat chicken nuggets.​

Reactions: PTree15 and Sax