Large-Scale Survey of Vegans, Vegetarians, and Meat Reducers

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

"Nearly half of all meat reducers, vegetarians, and vegans are replacing part of their meat consumption with vegetables. While this may have some health benefits, it may also leave people lacking sufficient protein and calories, and therefore leave them feeling lethargic. Vegan advocacy organizations should be more explicit that the public should replace meat with items such as beans, lentils, grains, and vegetarian meats."

Yes to this! There really needs to be more emphasis on beans, lentils, grains, tempeh, tofu,and vegetarian meats. There seems to be a rise in the whole food plant based movement, but I've notice the focus on these protein sources seems to be lacking.

My usual problem isn't lack of protein causing lethargy, it's from a lack of enough carbohydrates from oats and grains in my diet - but I'm strange.

My usual problem isn't lack of protein causing lethargy, it's from a lack of enough carbohydrates from oats and grains in my diet - but I'm strange.

Yes - I think everyone is unique.
Beans and carbs often make me fee letharic. Yet lots of veggies, some fruits and fatty foods like avocado, seeds and coconut make me feel on top of the world.
I think the important thing is for people to learn to listen to their own body and eat what works best for them.

I feel ill when I eat vegetarian 'meats' - they are usually full of wheat, gluten or soy based stuff with all kinds of things in there that my body just wants to reject.

Reactions: Dropkick
With the proviso that I'm more interested in what it says about a (high carb) vegan diet than blowing m'own trumpet ..

I've been back in training (black belt level karate) for about 10 weeks, after 6 years of sedentary chain smoking, now.

At 54 my strength and endurance is outstripping 99% of the chaps who are 30 years my junior already.

All I have to say about a vegan diet (inherently) lacking sufficient protein and calories is .... MY FAT ***!!!