Animal Rights Lady Dinah’s Cat Emporium

SummerRain

I dreamed that God would be forgiving.
Reaction score
I saw a post by Fat Gay Vegan (Save Some, Eat Some: read it here) about this and I was intrigued.

Lady Dinah’s Cat Emporium is a cafe in London that is also home to rescue cats.

The website says:
Our venue is designed with the emotional and physical needs of our resident rescue cats in mind and we do our utmost to give them the time, space and resources they need to form a harmonious household. We provide a safe, comfortable place to live and a home where they can exhibit their full range of natural behaviours.
There's also a section talking about animal welfare on their website.

The Fat Gay Vegan blog argues
I don’t like the concept of any animal being on display, no matter how loved. As I walked past the front of the cafe recently, it struck me how much it looked like a pet store. People can stand at the window and stare at cats inside.

I don’t think I would ever go on a safari to look at animals. I would never go to a zoo, even if the establishment had a pristine record of animal conservation. I hate hobby farms and baby farm animal exhibits at fairs.

Loved and cared for animals on show are still animals on show for human enjoyment. I believe this is a practise that needs to be questioned, challenged and changed.

How do you feel about it? Would you go there (apparently they have vegan options)? Do you oppose or support it?

The comments on the blog are interesting too.

Personally, I think that in an ideal world maybe people wouldn't profit from cats in this way (indeed, I wouldn't have domesticated animals at all). But in the real world, it's better that these cats are well cared for with a home in a cafe than they're still in a rescue centre - I think it also promotes the idea of rescuing cats , which is a good thing, and somewhat out weights the negatives in contributing to the idea that animals are for our entertainment. Overall, I think it's a good thing, as long as the cats are genuinely well cared for and can leave the shop environment if they choose to.

I definitely think that there are much much bigger animal rights problems to concern about and wouldn't spend time trying to oppose it.

I do think it's ironic that the place isn't vegetarian... save some animals, serve others. :rolleyes: Illogical.

Reactions: Tom L.
I've been following them on Facebook since they first started working on it.

Over all I do think it's a good idea. The cats get rescued and get attention. I don't think it's at all like a pet shop. They aren't kept in cages with fingers poking in at them, they are free to come and go as they please. A pet free world would be ideal, but it won't happen as long as breeders can make money.

Cat cafés seem to be quite popular in Japan at least.

I would go to one myself, and I assume that they are good for those who cannot have cats at their houses.
Since the cafés often seem to accommodate stray cats for the most parts, you can avoid giving money to the pet industry.

I do think it's ironic that the place isn't vegetarian... save some animals, serve others. :rolleyes: Illogical.

There have been quite a few local/regional humane societies that have had fund raisers which included hot dog and hamburger sales. A lot of people complained about them doing that, but they didn't care.

I am glad they are rescuing cats but I just can't help myself feeling uncomfortable about it. Something just doesn't sit right with me, so I guess I'm on Fat Gay Vegan's side. I live in Greater London and my cat-obsessed boyfriend has already mentioned going there. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable enough to refuse to go, will report back if I do.

Re: the meat on the menu. Just another cuddletarian I guess - not uncommon at all. I'm glad they're catering to vegans though. The sample menu has a few bits on it. Not the best but doable for a meal.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/natio...w-york-20140423,0,6804291.story#axzz2zp0v6N4J

The idea has come to the States! It would be great if we had cat cafes in Los Angeles, especially since there are a lot of rental units here where cats aren't allowed.

And yeah, going to one of these places and finding non-animal-friendly items on the menu isn't surprising to me in the least. I've mentioned elsewhere on the board that at the Aquarium of the Pacific down in Long Beach, California (and at other marine aquariums, I'm sure), they have tuna fish on the cafeteria menu. It's the same disconnect that has people seeing a movie like "Chicken Run" and then going home and having a chicken pot pie or an omelet or something.

Reactions: Tom L.