Lack of vegetarian or healthy cooking television shows

Alexia

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I do enjoy watching food shows on the television, but since vegetarianism and gluten free cooking is so popular, I'm surprised there aren't more shows dedicated to it.

I watch other shows and then have to adapt the recipes. Maybe in the US they may have a show on the Food Network, but I never saw it. They could alternate weeks with vegan/vegetarian/low sugar/low fat/gluten free/dairy free. Is there such a show? Maybe I should consider putting one together?

It would be great to see vegan cooking shows, it would be an awesome way to get the word out too. I don't have service, I hate tv lol.. but I do watch vegan cooking "shows" on Youtube to get more ideas :)

I know Jamie Oliver has done vegetarian episodes of some of his shows but I'm not sure if they're shown often in the US. I know there are vegan episodes of things such as Cupcake Wars as well. I agree there should be shows that actually focus on things like this though. Food allergies too. There's certainly not enough of them.

It's a shame because a lot of people either learn to cook or get interested in learning to cook on shows like this. it's obvious that they're just responding to market forces. Most people aren't vegetarians so most shows are going to cater to that. Some people, as dumb as this sounds, are pretty offended by vegetarians so they might view a show on vegetarian cooking to be propaganda. That might limit the number of shows that have vegetarian options as well.

That's why I prefer watching YouTube videos instead of television shows. There are lots of relatively small, undiscovered vegetarian or vegan cooks on YouTube. And they are not any worse than the chefs on the television shows! :)