Lab-grown dairy proteins

David3

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
New Culture Foods has developed processes for producing actual dairy casein, without animals, using genetically-modified yeast. Casein is what makes dairy cheese stretchy - something that vegan cheeses don't yet do very well. The company will be conducting public taste tests this year.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
Casein is well documented in turning on cancer growth/mutation.

Reference-The China study by Dr T. Colin Campbell.
I think that the company's primary goal is to make non-animal, but truly convincing, mozzarella cheese for pizza. The motivations are environment and animal protection.

In April I added a post about this .

The company Perfect Day is another pioneer in this field. And the company Brave Robot is already got animal free ice cream in store.

I think that the company's primary goal is to make non-animal, but truly convincing, mozzarella cheese for pizza. The motivations are environment and animal protection.
That would be amazing!

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
So it seems like it’s down to people deciding for themselves. I hate that. 😁

Reactions: silva
what do you mean? isn't deciding for themselves the best? Do you want me to decide for you?
Yes please. Lol.
I think I prefer “some” things to be more black and white.

Ok how about this?

If you only reason to be vegan or Plant Based (P-B) is for the animals you may choose lab grown dairy products (LGDP).
If you are vegan for a combination of animal rights and environmental causes you may choose LGDP
If you are also concerned with your health - don't choose lab grown. I think the milk protein casein causing cancer is still a concern.

I expect to try all of these things just for curiosity sake. But probably won't get any of these things more than once. I don't feel I need the ice cream. There are so many good P-B ice creams out there already. I haven't had real mozzarella in years and P-B mozzarellas have come a long way over the last ten years. However if the LG mozzarellas is really really good - I may get it for my pizzas. Or order it on PB Pizzas when it becomes an option.

How do we all stand, ethically, on lab grown dairy products and casein? Do we think it conflicts with veganism or not? I'd be interested to see everyone's thoughts. On one hand, it's dairy, on the other hand, we need to find out, has it hurt an animal to be made? I know that for lab grown meat they're still having to remove stem cells (I think?) from cows at the moment.

I don't think ethics is a Real Issue - even with lab grown meat.
Health wise - lab grown meat is just as healthy/unhealthy as regular meat. Oh wait. it might be healthier because one would assume the lab grown meat would be free of herbicides, pesticides, added hormones, bugs bacteria and the other contaminates that gets into meat during its processing.
I guess that goes with lab grown dairy products too.
Also I love Forks Over Knives, but it seems like the casein -cancer connection was a bit overblown.

The sticky issue might be in the labeling. It can't claim to be plant based. Not sure if it can claim to be vegan.

Reactions: Brian W
I'm plant-based primarily because of my concern for animals, but I care about humans (including myself) just as much if not more. Dropping dairy and egg was harder for me than quitting first meat, and then fish. I'd love to have credible, cruelty-free simulations of those foods again, but if I'd wind up harming my own health in the process... forget it. I'm suppose I'm fortunate that I've always eaten and enjoyed a wide variety of healthy foods (as well as some not-so-healthy foods, formerly... there's a company in my area that makes, among other things, a chocolate chip cookie which should be classified by the F.D.A.- or maybe the D.E.A.?... as a physically-addictive substance.)

In regards to labelling, technically plant and vegan are absolutely the same.

The only differentiate is made in the morals behind the terms.
It seems like we at the VF are spending a lot of time on definitions and labels.

I'm not sure if plant based and vegan are technically the same. For instance these synthetic products don't harm or exploit animals so they are technically vegan. but not plant based.

It seems like we at the VF are spending a lot of time on definitions and labels.

I'm not sure if plant based and vegan are technically the same. For instance these synthetic products don't harm or exploit animals so they are technically vegan. but not plant based.

I wouldn't be willing to eat the lab grown products because I know the adverse health problems caused by eating animal products. But, I also realize that most people are not going to give up eating animal products.

Providing an alternative that will save animals from suffering and slaughter; well I say Hell Yeah!

Last edited:
I'm fully in favour of lab-grown meat and dairy and I know I am going to weaken and eat some. The problem is, when I was an omnivore, for a number of years on the top of my left calf muscle was a vein that was protruding and very dark coloured. My blood pressure was always slightly low but close to ideal so it wasn't a straightforward blood pressure issue. Some months after starting a plant-based diet, this vein became totally normal - under my skin and the right colour. I would like it to stay that way, so maybe I will need some self control when lab-grown becomes available.

• Friendly
Reactions: Tom L. and Emma JC
@Brian W
That sounds like a varicose vein. They don't seem to be correlated with blood pressure or diet. They seem to be hereditary. PG women get them a lot. and I think obesity and lack of exercise are risk factors. But they are not anything to worry about. but I'm glad yours went away.

Reactions: Brian W
I haven't had any problem giving up cheese. There is only one cheese I miss: Parmesan. If I could get a cruelty free version of real parmesan; I would go for it. Spaghetti with plant based meatballs really needs some lab grown parmesan.

I haven't had any problem giving up cheese. There is only one cheese I miss: Parmesan. If I could get a cruelty free version of real parmesan; I would go for it. Spaghetti with plant based meatballs really needs some lab grown parmesan.
I can't find it anymore... but I know they still make it. It was my favorite for many years. Around here the stores don't carry it and when I try to buy it online its "not available".
come to think of it - I should try online again.

Go Veggie!

• Disagree
Reactions: shyvas
That's probably the last cheese I'd miss :laughing:
What do you think of Follow Your Heart?
I really don't remember a thing about how parm tastes, but I like FYH
I was thinking about that -- who tastes tests vegan cheeses? Do they pay people who eat dairy as taste testers?
I compared some vegan cheddar to dairy cheddar kinda recently and preferred the vegan. I know better than to do that with pizza cheese :rofl:
Yeah, the health factor would be a big deal. I know quite a few omnis who've given up dairy and totally recommend it!