L.A. council votes to ban stores from selling non-rescue dogs, cats, rabbits

RabbitLuvr

I love rabbits.
Reaction score

Los Angeles lawmakers on Wednesday voted in favor of an ordinance that will make L.A. the largest city in America to ban pet stores from selling dogs, cats and rabbits obtained from commercial breeders.
The ordinance, which the City Council voted 12-2 to approve, targets puppy mills and is designed to cut down on the tens of thousands of animals euthanized each year in city shelters.
Under the law, individuals will still be allowed to buy directly from breeders, and pet stores will be allowed to sell animals that come from shelters, humane societies and registered rescue groups. Stores found to be selling animals from breeders may face misdemeanor charges and a first-time penalty of $250.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/10/la-pet-store-sales-ban.html

I wish this covered *all* animals sold at pet stores, but this is great news for dogs, cats, and rabbits in Los Angeles!

Reactions: thefadedone
They should do that here in the uk as well ...i got my cats from a friend who cats had kittens and they where free
There is a shop near to where i live that sells cats ...they look healthy but i still wouldnt buy from them

I hope this type of ordinance spreads anywhere outside the city of Los Angeles. Where I live, there are animal shelters with perfectly nice animals available for adoption. But there are also a lot of pet stores with animals for sale. These are not in the city of Los Angeles, but in other cities in Los Angeles County. In Downey, the city where I work, there is a county-run animal shelter, and a couple blocks away there is a pet store. Commercial breeders and puppy/kitten mill operators can still supply their animals to pet stores outside the city of Los Angeles. It would be nice to see a county ordinance, but I'm not sure that will ever happen.