News KFC to expand vegan chicken offering

David3

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
United States: During the month of February, Kentucky Fried Chicken will be serving its vegan "Beyond Fried Chicken" at 66 restaurant locations in Tennessee and North Carolina. This month-long trial will serve to measure public demand for vegan chicken alternatives.

1580354554015.png

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC

MoreGreens

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've read that KFC will cook their vegan fried chicken in the same oil as all the other food, which isn't that big a deal for the people they're marketing toward. But, as with Burger King, vegans shouldn't expect to roll up to KFC and get a legit vegan meal.

That KFC chose Nashville is tricky, imo. We have a fantastic vegan soul food restaurant called The Southern V (with beautiful 'fried chick'n') as well as a couple of vegan soul food popups. I doubt it will be the local vegans who run to KFC waxing poetic over their long lost fried chicken. Still, I hope it's a success, if only to cut down on overall animal death.

PTree15

Beach bum
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I haven't stepped inside a KFC in almost 30 years. :D I might want to try this, though.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas

beancounter

The Fire That Burns Within
Reaction score
I'm glad fast food places are starting to offer veggie options.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I wonder why.

It's a way for them to expand their customer base of course, but we're a demographic group that (relatively speaking) isn't very big.

The investment needed to implement the vegan option seems like it would out weigh the potential payoff by a wide margin.

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I'm glad fast food places are starting to offer veggie options.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I wonder why.

It's a way for them to expand their customer base of course, but we're a demographic group that (relatively speaking) isn't very big.

The investment needed to implement the vegan option seems like it would out weigh the potential payoff by a wide margin.

Yes.:confused: