Keeping a pet: vegan or non-vegan?

PlantEater

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I really like dogs and would really love to own a dog someday. Is it vegan or buy or adopt a pet and feed it pet-food? What if the pet in question is a service-dog for a disabled person?

Flowrydabae

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
When you buy, it's bad. When you adopt, it's cool, but only when you treat the dog like an individual, and let the dog's feelings be recognized. That's kind of hard to do since they don't speak any human languages. (Jokes. Ugh).

Poppy

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Dogs can be great family members, and there are certainly plenty available who need homes. They also thrive being vegan and there are lots of commercial vegan dogs foods available. The problem with dogs is that you might be surprised at how expensive they can be - vaccinations, licensing, microchipping, heart worm preventative, flea and tick control, injuries, illnesses (some chronic), and boarding or dog sitting just to name a few. So do your research before hand. As someone who volunteers a lot of time in a shelter, I can tell you that many, many dogs are surrendered because their owners simply cannot afford to keep them healthy and occupied.

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I think a pet is one of the gray areas for vegans. I could easily construct pro and con arguments for having a pet being vegan.

However, IMHO veganism is all about compassion. And I can't think of a more compassionate thing than to rescue an animal, take it into your home, and to care and feed it for the rest of your life.

Also, there are vegan dog foods many vegans make their own homemade vegan dog food. Considering how crappy most commercial dog foods are feeding a dog homemade food is an improvement.

One of our members, @Vegan Dogs , is an expert on this subject. And even knows all about vegan cats. Look up some of her posts.

TofuRobot

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
The problem with dogs is that you might be surprised at how expensive they can be - vaccinations, licensing, microchipping, heart worm preventative, flea and tick control, injuries, illnesses (some chronic), and boarding or dog sitting just to name a few.
And not just expensive in terms of money, but time. It's not cool to leave your dog home alone all day long, they need company just like we do. It's a commitment of at minimum 5-8 years, up to 20 or more maximum. It's one reason why after my own dog passes I have decided no more pets. It's just not fair unless you can give them the time and care the need and deserve.

Vegan Dogs

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
The op was honest..pets are primarily about the use....pleasure of entertainment animals as pets give us

I admit that

I got turkeys out of realisation those were not useful pets and readily bred and killed to feed referred pet dogs ones

I feed my pets all vegan dogs cat turkeys there is no life saving otherwise