Question Keep or Throw away leather & wool clothes?

MHC

Newcomer
Reaction score
I've been eating vegan for about four to five years now, and over the past year have began buying only vegan clothing: cotton or synthetics vs. wool; vegan shoes, belts and gloves. My question is about what to do with my older, existing items of leather and wool, especially since I tend to keep my clothes and shoes for a long time and still have a lot of leather.

I feel uncomfortable sometimes wearing leather or being seen by others wearing leather, lest doing so seems to condone or encourage it. And yet, another part of me feels strongly that, having already been killed and processed into clothing, the even worse, and more life-devaluing approach would be to "throw away" the usable skin or wool of an animal. Twice now, wearing very worn leather has given me the opportunity to tell someone that I'd rather wear unfashionable, worn but usable leather than unnecessarily kill another animal.

It's been suggested to me that I donate or give away my non-vegan clothes, as that would alleviate my own negative feelings and make me more of an "advertisement" and advocate of non-animal clothing, but that seems to me to be almost as bad as just using them myself til they wear out. The stuff will still be out there, being worn and seen and possibly facilitate others continuing to wear them. Plus, every time I put something leather on I think about what it means and it reinforces my resolve. Literally I guess, it becomes like a "hairshirt"

I'm curious as to what others have done.

I think I gradually replaced my non-vegan clothes and shoes as they wore out. It took a while.

I don't particularly see a problem with donating your items to charity as long as you feel you can afford to replace them. The items already exist, and someone should be wearing them. If you want to be a walking, living advertisement for veganism (every vegan's dream, I imagine :p ), then you might as well support vegan alternatives and buy vegan items.

I can see your point about wearing non-vegan items until they're just rags and falling apart, and thereby being able to initiate conversations about our relationship with animals and animal products. However, there is then a danger that some of your acquaintances will think veganism means some kind of hobo lifestyle or involves a poverty vow.

So I'm afraid there is no clear cut answer to this.

Reactions: ledboots
Can't speak from personal experience, but I suggest as an idea give away or sell. The reason is that whoever ends up with the clothes may not purchase other clothes as a result, possibly leading to reduced demand for animal exploitation.

I had saved up and bought a suede jacket right after becoming vegetarian, I didn't know suede was leather. Hey, I was young and not into fashion, so I didn't know. o_O
Anyway, I ended up giving it away, and the person I gave it to (30+ years ago) is now also a vegan and does rescue. :D

I just replaced stuff as it wore out - I was a broke student and all that. But nothing I owned particularly looked like leather/wool - it was annoying trace bits here and there, like leather uppers in trainers and 5% wool in my only pair of "smart" trousers - so I didn't particularly feel like I was a walking advert for the stuff.

I guess my advice is, do what you can and what you're comfortable with.

I started off thinking 'yeah ill just let it wear out' but ended up replacing it early as I stopped feeling comfortable even trying to wear it and would rather do without. Maybe you could give it to a charity that sends clothes to poorer countries? That way you're giving a person in need clothing, but at the same time you're not creating a demand as they are unlikely to buy any more. Up to you though I wouldn't judge either way.

To me wearing something til it's so tatty it falls apart is saying "there is no vegan alternative to leather, so I have to make do" and could give across that image. there are soo many alternatives to leather and wool and it's rare that you have no other choice but to wear it. If there is that situation (health and safety gear, for example) I am sure some vegans will be happy to give suggestions :)

Some omnis love playing a game where they spot an item of clothing and get really smug "Omg you have leather shoes!! Hypocrite!!" before I explain they're actually faux. I prefer being able to win that game :p

Reactions: PTree15
I think donation to charity is okay. Better to have discarded leather shoes than no shoes at all, etc.

I also agree ... I would typically not throw away such items if they can still be used, but rather donate them.

However, I noticed that with a pair of leather winter shoes I had kept from my pre-vegan days for the possible occasion of very cold weather, that I did not want to wear them again, so I ended up wearing less warm vegan shoes with extra socks instead, and giving those leather shoes away, too.

I don't feel as strongly about suits (although I of course would not buy any garment with wool, but it does not horrify me as much as leather which is the part of an animal that was killed). Luckily, due to job changes I am not required to wear suits any more, unless for special occasions, so I do keep a few of my old suits around.

I am not a vegan, but the consensus among vegans who discuss this seems to be that it is ok to keep and keep using non-vegan clothing until it wears out. Or give it away.

I am not a vegan, but the consensus among vegans who discuss this seems to be that it is ok to keep and keep using non-vegan clothing until it wears out. Or give it away.

I'm not vegan and also think that the general idea is to give to someone in need.

I couldn't wear or use any of it myself for a number of reasons when I went vegan, so as I was able to find replacements (hiking shoes took a while but everything else was fairly easy to replace) I gave stuff away to charities. Even cleaning products I was able to find a program through our local City where you bring cleaning and other chemicals to a waste facility warehouse and drop them off there and other people can come there and pick out stuff to use for free so none of it is actually thrown away.

There are also programs like this one (see link below) where you can donate fur and other animal derived clothing to rescue organizations that use them to help wild animals feel more comfortable as they are cared for and reintroduced into the wild:

Cuddle Coats | How Cuddle Coats Works

Thanks all, the various options and perspectives are most helpful. I'll go through my remaining stuff and see which option is appropriate for each.

Keep and use until worn out or donate. It would do no good to throw away. Do what works best for you.

People's perceptions are going to be there own. I was eating some Field Roast deli slices at work the other day. I'm sure people thought it was meat vs "grain meat" since I work with a bunch of meat eaters.

It was your own fault, kita. You shouldn't have been smacking your lips and making all those Mmmm, yummy sounds. Although I know it's difficult with Field Roast