Kale...how to disguise it?

Sunny

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I want to add more Kale to my diet but I am not very keen on it. Our shop generally only has curly Kale. I don't know if that type taste different than the other kinds but I really struggle to eat it, even when I have tried to mix it in with pasta and a sauce for example. So, my question is, can anyone share some ways they might disguise it in foods or perhaps sauces? A recipe? I tried buying a bag of "sliced greens" and using that instead (as it would keep coming up in my search for Kale on the grocery website) but that was almost as bad and the family were not impressed.

1. 1. Remove kale stalks. To separate kale leaves from their stalks, cut along the edge of the stalk with the tip of the knife, or tear the leaves away with your hands.
  2. 2. Chop into smaller pieces. Kale is a sturdy vegetable and can be fairly fibrous even when cooked, so whether you’re chopping kale leaves to cook or put into a salad, err on the side of smaller pieces.
  3. 3. Massage your kale. In a large bowl, toss your kale leaves with small amount of olive oil and lemon juice, then massage with your hands for three to five minutes.

Dark green leafy vegetables (like kale) are popular worldwide in soups! The hot broth makes the greens more tender, and disguises their (sometimes bitter) flavor.

Lentil and kale soup:
Kale-and-Lentil-Soup.jpg

Vietnamese pho soup (can be made vegan):
Vegetarian-Vegan-Pho-Recipe-7.jpg

Portuguese caldo verde soup (can be made vegan):
1676502570784.jpeg

I want to add more Kale to my diet but I am not very keen on it. Our shop generally only has curly Kale. I don't know if that type taste different than the other kinds but I really struggle to eat it, even when I have tried to mix it in with pasta and a sauce for example. So, my question is, can anyone share some ways they might disguise it in foods or perhaps sauces? A recipe? I tried buying a bag of "sliced greens" and using that instead (as it would keep coming up in my search for Kale on the grocery website) but that was almost as bad and the family were not impressed.
First off, there are many varieties kale and they do taste different. I've had kale from farmers markets that tasted worse than grass! Honestly, while I have had good curly kale, all the ones I've disliked were curly. I regularly but what's known as dinosaur or lactino kale. It's smooth broad very dark green leaves
I simmer chopped greens in just enough water--I really like it pretty soft, then add a sprinkle of lemon, and lots of nutritional yeast

How about chard? I'm making some tonight, it's quicker cooking and I actually like that one less cooked. I'm sauteeing in some water then adding to mushrooms and onions i'll sautee in a bit of oil to carmelize

I do agree on the soups. A white bean with corn and potatoes, garlic and kale is a favorite of mine.

A friend of mine makes an excellent kale salad. I wish I had the recipe! The kale is chopped fine and has nuts and dried cranberries and raisins and a nice tasty dressing.
I like kale salads. I don't 'massage', but I do put some oil based dressing on when i make it for lunch either night before or the morning. Any fat based dressing would be ok if oil free, like cashew or tahini based
I like olives dried cranberries citrus segments shredded carrots and walnuts or chickpeas

I definitely second the suggestions to add kale to soups. I've even added it to chili, along with kabocha squash, frozen corn and cornmeal and a bit of extra cumin. And plenty of tomato, of course.

I think kale can sometimes be somewhat bitter, and can benefit from being combined with plenty of other veggies that are sweet or at least not bitter, especially in soups where all the flavors can meld together. I aways use the stalks because to me they're the most delicious part.

Roasted kale chips were a fad for a while:
I've never tried to do this. It sounds like a lot of work-- I prefer it boiled in soups; that is easier for me.
I know some people like it this way, though:

I overheard someone at a farmers market talking about it-- I never would have thought to roast kale!
Apparently if it is done right, it should be crispy, sort of like the roasted seaweed chips you can buy.

Thing outside the box . . .
I've made regular sauerkraut--just cabbage and salt, but I've never tried something like this (it sounds good though!):

Of course, if you and your family don't particularly care for it, there are a lot of other nutritious greens!

Last edited:
One more soup idea

I also saw really good stuff when I used the search on this forum for 'kale'

And @Lou just mentioned this in another thread

Another idea--kale crackers?

This first one isn't https
Sketch-Free Eating: Seedy Kale Crackers + Smoothies (sketch-freeveganeating.blogspot.com)

Homemade Crispy Kale Crackers | Mother Of Health

Yet another take on kale chips
Vegan Cheesy Baked Kale Chips. - The Pretty Bee

What to do with the stems?
Kale Stem Pesto [Vegan] - One Green Planet

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunny
You've all been very helpful with ideas. I am loving the soup and stew ideas in particular and will give them a go. Thank you.

@Sunny I love kale! It's quite nutritious- but unlike spinach or broccoli (two of my other favorite leafy vegetables- which are also nutritious), it's much easier to grow, in my experience. I've been posting my kale-growing endeavors in the Gardening forum.

Lots of folks say kale tastes bitter, but that hasn't been my experience- although it is definitely tough/chewy compared to spinach, cabbage, or mustard greens. I've come to think that my taste buds are somewhat insensitive: I can eat a peeled whole clove of garlic or a wedge of lemon or lime. (I drink water right after the lemon/lime, swishing the water in my mouth well, because the acidic juice can damage your teeth-so it's also a good idea todo this after you eat orange, tangerine, or grapefruit).

What is it about kale that you don't like?

Reactions: bEt and Sunny
@Sunny I love kale! It's quite nutritious- but unlike spinach or broccoli (two of my other favorite leafy vegetables- which are also nutritious), it's much easier to grow, in my experience. I've been posting my kale-growing endeavors in the Gardening forum.

Lots of folks say kale tastes bitter, but that hasn't been my experience- although it is definitely tough/chewy compared to spinach, cabbage, or mustard greens. I've come to think that my taste buds are somewhat insensitive: I can eat a peeled whole clove of garlic or a wedge of lemon or lime. (I drink water right after the lemon/lime, swishing the water in my mouth well, because the acidic juice can damage your teeth-so it's also a good idea todo this after you eat orange, tangerine, or grapefruit).

I am new to the forum and didn't even realise there was a gardening section- can't wait to check it out!
We can only really get the curly Kale (every now and then the Cavalo Nero (sp?) becomes available but I have only found it a little better. I don't like the texture, the sharp edges (like eating Gorse HAHA!- ok not quite) and not so keen on the taste either but I continue to try to use it in dishes because of it's nutritional value, particularly calcium. I think I may have to find an alternative. The shop were seling Kalettes for awhile- have you ever had them? they are a cross between sprouts and Kale. they were delicious but were available for only one or two years then never again....

Reactions: Tom L. and bEt
I am new to the forum and didn't even realise there was a gardening section- can't wait to check it out!
We can only really get the curly Kale (every now and then the Cavalo Nero (sp?) becomes available but I have only found it a little better. I don't like the texture, the sharp edges (like eating Gorse HAHA!- ok not quite) and not so keen on the taste either but I continue to try to use it in dishes because of it's nutritional value, particularly calcium. I think I may have to find an alternative. The shop were seling Kalettes for awhile- have you ever had them? they are a cross between sprouts and Kale. they were delicious but were available for only one or two years then never again....

Perhaps you've been undercooking kale as there are no sharp edges as you have mentioned. Why don't you try making colcannon using kale instead of cabbage?

I'll check out the gardening thread as greens would be very much worth growing. Garlic blended with lemon and a bit of olive oil (or not if oil free) is so good on greens, again with loads of nooch. Maybe my favorite food to have with nutritional yeast
One thing about kale is I always try and chop in bite size pieces as it can be a bit to chew, and kinda choke me if I swallow a piece
Perhaps you've been undercooking kale as there are no sharp edges as you have mentioned. Why don't you try making colcannon using kale instead of cabbage?

Oh yeah! Love colcannon, with either cabbage or kale, or collards

Excellent idea- "bubble and squeak" without the frying! We only seem to have regular access to the curly kind which has the "sharp" edges/texture. Yes maybe I have been undercooking it.

Personally, I don’t force myself to eat things I really don’t like. I can’t imagine that there aren’t other alternatives that would be just as good as kale? But then again, I’ve been wrong before. 😁