Just thoughts on

• Thread starter Deleted member 14798
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 14798

How do you feel about used products which aren't vegan? Since no animal would be harmed now, would you personally buy or wear anything made with animal products? I know some people get obsessed about foreign cars but feel better about used ones since no one is working again to build those. I personally don't wear animals products either way just on how I'd feel with it. I'm curious how others feel about it.

To me it's mostly dependent on needs and resources.
I've had so many shoes vegan, or mostly vegan (as in not labeled vegan), and I still find my leather ones,same brands, wear farrrrrrr longer, and provide more support. I have foot problems and finding the right fit is a huge problem. I've replaced the vegan ones I liked with used ones as I have not found comparable new designs.
If I had more finances I would most certainly buy the more expensive vegan shoes, but as of now, I still mostly wear my years old leather ones, and honestly, glad I have two pairs

Same with the used cars I've had--ethical production is on my list, but not high enough to change my mind when it came to value. My current car I drive has leather seats, but it's financial value for me was too high to ignore.

If I were/when I, am able to have enough money to meet my wants more I most certainly will!
I've been debating when I'll ready

I do not identify as vegan because of these lax standards, though I do not feel they are needed for others in terms of being vegan, I def adhere to the 'possible and practical". If you have the means and ways to choose vegan over others is what I base that on. i am more comfortable saying "mostly vegan" or vegetarian

To me it's mostly dependent on needs and resources.
I've had so many shoes vegan, or mostly vegan (as in not labeled vegan), and I still find my leather ones,same brands, wear farrrrrrr longer, and provide more support. I have foot problems and finding the right fit is a huge problem. I've replaced the vegan ones I liked with used ones as I have not found comparable new designs.
If I had more finances I would most certainly buy the more expensive vegan shoes, but as of now, I still mostly wear my years old leather ones, and honestly, glad I have two pairs

Same with the used cars I've had--ethical production is on my list, but not high enough to change my mind when it came to value. My current car I drive has leather seats, but it's financial value for me was too high to ignore.

If I were/when I, am able to have enough money to meet my wants more I most certainly will!
I've been debating when I'll ready

I do not identify as vegan because of these lax standards, though I do not feel they are needed for others in terms of being vegan, I def adhere to the 'possible and practical". If you have the means and ways to choose vegan over others is what I base that on. i am more comfortable saying "mostly vegan" or vegetarian
Agree on the "possible and practical." Everyone is in different situations and has different definitions of possible and practical based on their own experiences. I've never liked leather seats in cars, but I'm not entirely sure the fabric ones I have weren't produced with non-vegan supplies.

I have the same issue with vegan shoes. They are mostly out of my price range, but I try to get vegan sneakers if I can afford them. There are less expensive shoes that are constructed with man-made materials, but they don't often offer enough support. My financial situation took a hit three years ago when I got laid off, so I really have to watch my pennies these days (not that I didn't before, but now it's even more vital).

As far as used non-vegan items, I don't think I could wear a used leather jacket or leather shoes. It would creep me out, but I do still have wool sweaters that pre-date my going vegan, and I still wear them in the winter. I've slowly replaced them with sweaters made from materials that aren't from animals, but those wool sweaters last forever. I've donated a few over the years because I'd rather someone by used, as it's one less item that required new animal death or exploitation.

I would never buy used leather or wool unless there was a compelling reason. Never in clothing!
The car though--I got a great deal from a car my mechanic knew, and those heated leather seats saved me when my heat went went out!
I do much prefer cloth, but it wasn't something I felt I should pass on for that reason
I used to be far more sensitive than I am. I very deliberately transitioned from those feeling as it was both affecting me mentally and really making it much harder to be vegan! that was years and years ago. I'm far more pragmatic now

The responses make me think of another inquiry. Are animals products which don't harm animals okay? Such as free range eggs from chickens one knows or wool from free range sheep or alpacas one knows? Or anything else like those?

The responses make me think of another inquiry. Are animals products which don't harm animals okay? Such as free range eggs from chickens one knows or wool from free range sheep or alpacas one knows? Or anything else like those?
In my mind, no, because the animal is still being exploited by humans, and a goal of veganism is to avoid animal exploitation.

Whether someone feels they're okay is subjective, but would not be vegan as they would eaten by the hens or other animals if left alone
I also would be disappointed by someone calling themselves vegan using eggs or honey as it contributes to their status as an acceptable food
I don't have an opinion on wool, if you rescue a sheep that was bred for it's wool it would certainly need to be sheared. Maybe sheep wool is good for animal orphans? I always suggest people who end up with fur coats to donate to animal baby rescues

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
I do buy second hand stuff that might not be from a vegan company or made cruelty free.
However I no longer buy fur or leather second hand but there is a lot of suffering behind products that is not directly made with animal parts too.
If i buy new stuff they are always cruelty free and vegan, but when drifting i feel less ashamed not being to picky since it is already made and has been used and will go to waste if no one buys it :)

I feel that if you are vegan for the purpose of protecting animals then you should still avoid foods made from an animals! I have recently just found a company that has caught my eye for anyone wanting eco friendly and vegan paints, Victory Colours is the name of the company. I feel there is not much like this on the market, such beautiful colours to choose from as well:heart_eyes: