Nutrition & Diet June Health Challenge

AeryFairy

Anachronism
Reaction score
It's June! Time to set ourselves new health goals!

Previous thread: May 2013

I'll leave the old thread open for a bit so people can post their end results.

My goals are gonna be pretty much the same for a few months. I'm entering a tough mudder challenge in 2014, so I need to get super fit for that. My current fitness level is pretty much nothing - I can't run at all, I have some muscle but very little stamina, and although I can swim fairly well, I don't go often enough to be able to deal with what the challenge will put me through.

So my goals are: to be able to skip with a rope for 2 minutes, to lose 7lbs, and to be able to run for pretty much any length of time without feeling like I'm going to pass out afterwards.

I did so poorly AGAIN in May I really have to step it up this month. Same goals to eat healthier and stay on track with the walks every day I can. I did well this past week; walked for an hour 4 days. This depends on my days off; this week will get 3 days. I have to lose 5 pounds quickly so I can fit in my shorts! Too hot now and I refuse to buy BIGGER!!

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
These were mine last month:

- continue eating well, smoothie for breakfast at least 5 days a week and at least 5 a day EVERY DAY

- yoga ( or similar) at least twice a week

- run at least twice a week (build up distance on Mondays) and start doing physiotherapy exercises again to help knee out

- try to get in a swim once a week

- get as much sunshine as possible

I've really got back into the swing of running regularly and I'm still doing 30 day yoga challenge. Also drinking a smoothie pretty much everyday but probably only get 5 a day 4/7 days a week. Didn't swim last month.

So my plans are to keep up regular running and yoga and see if I can't get my eating habits a bit healthier. Will try to get at least two swims in.

I failed to meet any goals in April and didn't even set any in May. Not sure how well I'll fare in June. But I did hula hoop for half an hour this afternoon. I was surprised that I haven't lost much ability, I'm pretty much right where I left off last year. (Though my ability was pretty low to begin with.)

I'm also going to try to leave for work early enough each day to get in an extra half-mile walk in the morning. (My work has two half-mile walking tracks marked off - one inside and one outside. I try to walk a half mile at morning break, and again at afternoon break.)

So we'll see how things go.

I would like to try to hula hoop but the last time I tried I failed miserably! Tried with a cheap one from Walmart. I really can't spend a bunch of money on a "professional" hoop.

I would like to try to hula hoop but the last time I tried I failed miserably! Tried with a cheap one from Walmart. I really can't spend a bunch of money on a "professional" hoop.

Trust me, getting a weighted adult hoop makes all the difference :)

I'd like to hoop some more too but I haven't really got the space. I could take it outside but there are strange people out there.

I've always wanted a proper hoop - I'd never been able to do it until I was part of this awesome gym where I used to live. It was a small female-only place, really cheap membership, and I would spend about four hours a day there working out and chatting to the lovely staff. They taught me how to hoop, and would let me borrow gym equipment to take home with me for the weekend. Haven't done any hoop since then, but I think it would be an awesome addition to my skipping.

Wow...tough muddier, go AF!

I haven't been able to do exercise really atm. Will hopefully try & ease back into it soon :) & maybe finally start down yoga. That'd be nice.

I may try to get one of those weighted hoops at TJ Maxx next time I see one. I did get some information from someone in a hoopers group on sparkpeople.com also. I need to do some searching on ebay or amazon too! I think the hooping would help get rid of this "muffin top." :D

Reactions: KLS52 and yally
AeryFairy -- WAY COOL on the tough mudder challenge. I hope your team kicks butt!
My goals are pretty much the same as last month's:
Lose 4 pounds (I managed 5 in May, so happy, happy about that)
Continue with my cardio/weights regimen (at least 5 days of cardio and 3 days of weights)
Continue drinking at least 48 ounces of water a day.

I have my big hiking trip to Oregon in three weeks, so I want to keep up the plan. Hopefully I will be 10 pounds lighter than I was last year when I hiked in Colorado. :)

Well, I met my weight loss goal for Feb-May (dropped from 177 to 160 lbs in 4 months), so I'm done dieting for now. Though technically, I'm still on the border between average and overweight for my height, according to my body mass index, so I could probably stand to lose another 5-10 lbs. But I'm tired of dieting for now, and I'm no longer in need of larger pants, so I'm not worried about it for now.

Now I want to focus more on exercise. Since moving to Chicago in October, I've been commuting to work by train, which involves about 35 minutes of walking to and from the train stations every week day, which is a lot more than I used to do when I lived in Florida and drove everywhere. So my legs are in pretty good shape, but I need to focus on other areas.

I should probably pull out my juggling supplies and work on that some. It's good exercise for the arms, and I can do some of that stuff in my apartment, though the ceiling height is a limiting factor for some things. Actually, it may be higher than the ceiling in my last apartment, though I'm not sure, so I'll have to mess around and see if I can work on 6 balls easier than I used to be able to in my old place. Also, my nephew juggles, and now that I live close enough to see him weekly, I'll want to be able to teach him some stuff, so I should probably practice some.

As mentioned in the May thread, I pulled out the rollerblades for the first time in a year or two last month. Now that the weather's warmer, I'd like to do that more often, too. My neighborhood seems pretty good for it, and I'd like to try and find some parks or beach front areas that would be good spots for skating, too.

Another thing I was thinking of is that I tried the 100 push ups and 200 sit ups programs a year or two ago, but didn't stick with them. Those could be good to try again, too. Those are also more structured, so if I commit to them, I'm more likely to stick with it, rather than the "maybe I'll juggle/rollerblade this weekend, if I feel like it". I need to google those to find those pages again.

--Fromper
:juggle:

I was able to get a walk in today...went a little farther than yesterday. :)
Two days in a row and counting!

I can't handle the scale right now. I know it will upset me. So I'm going to concentrate on building up my stamina first and worry about the weight a little later on.

Reactions: PTree15
I was able to get a walk in today...went a little farther than yesterday. :)
Two days in a row and counting!

I can't handle the scale right now. I know it will upset me. So I'm going to concentrate on building up my stamina first and worry about the weight a little later on.

Good for you!! Once you get in the habit, it is so much easier! I had to really force myself to get back to it at first but now I walk an hour on my days off. I work on my feet as well so I think even my work days count for something. The scale can be so daunting. Last week I burst into tears when I saw the number on there. :(
I did lose the 2 extra pounds though... I weigh once a week or I would get too obsessive about it.

Reactions: KLS52
I've seen the weighted hoops in TK Maxx over here if any UKers want a cheap one. I have an even-cheaper normal one from the £1 shop but I cannot hula hoop to save my life.

Erm, June challenges.
- Actually join a gym. This sounds stupid, but I HATE the idea of an induction, its putting me right off. id rather just sign a disclaimer and kill myself on the machines. So maybe my goal should just be to do the bloody induction
- Start up swimming again
- Dont eat any sugary food or drinks (other than in fruit and sriracha)