Nutrition & Diet July Health Challenge

AeryFairy

Anachronism
Reaction score
You know the drill, guys! Post your health goals, get support, share your health tips, and so on!

Previous thread here.

I did poorly last month, but I've recently started going running and swimming with a good friend, so I'm hopeful for this month.

Goals: lose 7 lbs (currently 182) and get my time for running a mile to under 10 minutes (currently 14 minutes).

Went running and swimming today. Shaved a whole two minutes off of last week's mile time, and swam 20 lengths of the pool (half using just my arms). Feeling pretty pleased with myself.

I'm still in! Continuing to try and get morning walks in when it isn't raining or my knee isn't acting up. The other benefit is it gives me an incentive to eat healthier and cut out some of the junk food. So I'm still on the right track... Hope to stay on course.

Reactions: AeryFairy
I am in too. Same goals; lose some weight and eat healthy. I can't stand to be out in this heat so exercise is a problem for me. I really need to join a gym; we shall see if I can make that happen when I get myself moved. There is a Planet Fitness in Deland not far from where I will be living so I am hoping I can swing it. So until then I am going to try to cut back more on my portions and TRY to do a workout routine from sparkpeople.com once in a while. I really HATE exercise though. :D

Reactions: AeryFairy and KLS52
I'm in, too! Pretty much the same goals: Lose 4 pounds this month, keep up my weights three times a week, and keep up the cardio for five or six days a week. I have another trip planned for September and it will include some hiking in the Grand Canyon, so I have to stay in shape. Water, water and more water. I did really well with that during my hiking trip, so I want to keep it up. I think being hydrated helps combat muscle fatigue.

I want to start exercising again. My cat is using my mini trampoline as a bed now as I haven't used it for ages.:oops:
2013-06-30155623_zps6abafd14.jpg

I'm going to take my dogs out in a minute and then do at least 5 minutes of bouncing today and gradually build up the time over the next few days. I used to be able to do about an hour at a time and it's very good exercise as it stimulates your lymphatic system.:)

I also want to make sure I'm taking my supplements and vitamins with my breakfast and to drink more water.

I have the same trampoline! I used to be good for 40-50 minute workouts...I loved it. The trampoline is supposed to be low impact for the knees but for some reason the last time I tried it I had a problem. If I find/get my knee brace I may try it again.

Funny story...so I went up into the attic and found, what I thought was the knee brace right away. Yooray!!:starshower:

I was looking at it, thinking, it seems a bit small, but heck, they are rubbery, stretchy things let's give a go. :???:

I got it just over my ankle when I realized, this is not a knee a brace...it's a brace for the elbow. :hd:

Let me tell you, I had a heck of time getting it off...I thought I was going to have to cut it, lol.
So if you've never tried to put an elbow brace on your knee, don't! At least it's nice to know that if I'm ever the only person left on earth, I will still be able to make myself laugh. :rofl:

I did find an ace bandage and wrapped my knee with that. Worked really well so I got a good walk in. :)

I've got a big one. I did a brief elimination diet, after years and years of endless tummy troubles, lethargy and mystery pain. It appears that gluten is a problem. One that I don't want to deal with. Anyways, the only thing that matter this month is avoiding all gluten. Exercise, sure, blah blah, but it's a huge challenge for me to accept that this seems to be a genuine problem for me and that I need to do something about it. I don't want to be one of those people, but here we are.

I can't even believe how good hooping makes me feel. Even if there were no other benefits, the near-constant pain in my arm and breast completely disappear while I'm hooping, and for awhile afterwards. I think the arm and upper body movements are helping to move scar tissue left from surgery and release trapped fluid that's causing pain.
I've started learning more new moves, which keeps it interesting and fun.

I'm going to take my dogs out in a minute and then do at least 5 minutes of bouncing today and gradually build up the time over the next few days. I used to be able to do about an hour at a time and it's very good exercise as it stimulates your lymphatic system.:)

I also have a mini trampoline! Until last weekend, it was just in the way, and had to be moved around constantly so the rabbits wouldn't eat it. But now I've rearranged my office so I can keep it in there all the time.

I need to try to use it regularly again, as bouncing does have a beneficial effect on the lymphatic system. I could feel the difference even after five or ten minutes of bouncing.

I've got a big one. I did a brief elimination diet, after years and years of endless tummy troubles, lethargy and mystery pain. It appears that gluten is a problem. One that I don't want to deal with. Anyways, the only thing that matter this month is avoiding all gluten. Exercise, sure, blah blah, but it's a huge challenge for me to accept that this seems to be a genuine problem for me and that I need to do something about it. I don't want to be one of those people, but here we are.

:hug: Don't worry about being "one of those people." Just focus on what you need to do for yourself to feel healthy.

I only managed 5 minutes of bouncing yesterday, I am so out of shape.:D I'm aiming for 10 minutes today.:)

It's typical as I've been trying to drink lots of water but I have even worse bags under my eyes, I'm not sure if it's to do with my hayfever and rubbing my eyes though.

I got it just over my ankle when I realized, this is not a knee a brace...it's a brace for the elbow. :hd:

Let me tell you, I had a heck of time getting it off...I thought I was going to have to cut it, lol.
So if you've never tried to put an elbow brace on your knee, don't! At least it's nice to know that if I'm ever the only person left on earth, I will still be able to make myself laugh. :rofl:

:rofl:

Reactions: KLS52
I have been very naughty food wise & as a result slipped back into some bad habits.

Anyway, finally feel completely better so getting back into exercise which will improve mindset & motivation for a healthy diet so much. :) plus with two weeks off I can really concentrate & have time for it all & get back into the swing of things.

Oh, man, so sorry. That has to suck. I hope you are feeling better, though, now that you know what's up.

RabbitLuvr! Fantastic on the hooping. That's awesome that you are getting relief from your constant pain and that you feel so great when you hoop!
KLS...lol...that totally sounds like something I would do re: the brace. :D
AF: Way to go on the weight loss!!
Raggle: Good for you for getting right back on track.

I was a bit naughty on the food for 4th of July (mostly too much beer, lol), but I did walk and ride a bike, so all was not lost. Today I am taking it easy on food. I had a wonderfully delicious salad of mixed greens with cucumber and onions and banana peppers. I think I am addicted to banana peppers. Man, they are so good. Anyway, I am having a light food day. Too hot to exercise outside, so I will do some videos inside my air-conditioned apartment. :D

Reactions: AeryFairy and KLS52
I did 50 minutes on the treadmill on an incline (varied throughout) and climbed 1,385 feet this morning. I need to stay in hiking shape for my next trip -- to Arizona in the fall. I took yesterday off because I think I had a touch of a stomach bug or something. Felt much better this morning.

I haven't so much challenged myself, but I've been making it a habit to document what I consume in a little journal for the past 22 days (including coffee, beer, etc.) - in doing so, I think I've become more aware of portion control and junky snacking. I've lost around 12 pounds! :rofl:

Wow, CrowCaw, that's great!! It really does help to keep track of what goes in because, man, it can add up quickly.

Reactions: CrowCaw
Chased after the grandchildren for two days and walked around Mystic Aquarium both mornings for three hours each. I need a vacation.

Reactions: PTree15
This morning's workout was 30 minutes on the spin bike and 15 minutes of weights. I am really liking the spin bike.

Reactions: CrowCaw