Joan Jett kicked off Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade float for being a vegetarian

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Joan Jett switches from Macy's South Dakota float after ranchers protest

By Michael Martinez and Carolyn Sung, CNN

updated 6:18 PM EST, Sat November 16, 2013

(CNN)
-- Rock star Joan Jett was removed from a parade float representing South Dakota in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade after ranchers protested her appearance, saying she's a vegetarian and a critic of their livestock production.

Jett is a supporter of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, the world's largest animal rights group that promotes a vegetarian diet and condemns factory farms and ranches.

"I've decided to switch from South Dakota to another float because people's political agendas were getting in the way of what should be a purely entertainment driven event," Jett said in a statement Saturday. "I will remain focused on entertaining the millions of people watching, who will be celebrating a great American tradition."

The trade group for ranchers in South Dakota complained about Jett's placement on the state's float for the New York parade, CNN affiliate KEVN reported.

"So, of course, when we learned that about Miss Jett, we were rightly concerned about her representing South Dakota and a state that is so heavily reliant on agriculture and livestock production to drive our economy," Jodie Anderson of the South Dakota Cattlemen's Association told the station.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/16/us/joan-jett-macys-parade-float/index.html

I don't know how she was picked for that state's float anyway, but it's not surprising that they would freak out over her outspoken views on factory farming. After all, a factory farm is a happy, pleasant place where the animals get to frolic in the sunshine before being slaughtered, right? :rolleyes:

At least she'll still be in the parade. When I first saw the headline on HuffPo, I thought it was Macy's who kicked her off and I was all set to boycott Macy's. Maybe now I don't have to.

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts' Facebook page if you want to leave a supportive message. https://www.facebook.com/joanjettandtheblackhearts

I love Joan Jett. It was the meat people in the state of S Dakota that booted her off the state's float. Those "farmers" wield a lot of power there economically. JJ is going to be on another float.

Macy's is innocent in this matter--luckily, because I get a 40 percent discount there (at certain weekends per year) because my daughter is an employee. :)

Reactions: thefadedone
I am still going there in a few weeks because of some Keuring items I seen i wanted. I don't shop there often to even boycott. I should be boycotting them because they took over marshel fields in chicago land and chicagoland people are upset about it.

Delete

So much so it posted twice, lol.

The only i know is I love rock n roll, my sister was playing that in the background my dad was interviewing her before prom in the mid 80's , its on film.