'Jihadi John' may have been killed by US airstrike

M

Moll Flanders

I saw this on the news earlier and they were saying that when he was young, he was violent and angry. And that he was in anger management classes as young as 10 I think. Which made me wonder if some of these people were joining Isis, not because they believed in their cause, but because they enjoyed being violent and killing people, and this would give them the opportunity to do that.

eta: fixed a typo which is now immortalized in two quotes below. :p

Last edited:
I saw this on the news earlier and they were saying that when he was young, he was violent and angry. And that he was in anger management classes as young as 10 I think. Which made me wonder if some of these people were joining Isis, not because they believed in their cause, but because they enjoyed being violent and killing people, and this would give them the opportunity to that.

I think that's definitely true, not just of ISIS, but of all kinds of violent extremist causes. They may believe that they believe, or may actually believe (that distinction is difficult to draw!), but what attracts them to extremism is the opportunity to act out on their personal issues.

New footage shows Jihadi John in his school days - Channel 4 News
I saw the Channel 4 news and they have some footage of a documentary taken when he was at school and he seemed quite withdrawn and shy. They were saying that he was self-conscious about his breath at school and often used to put his hands over his face and I thought of the way he used his mask to hide his face in the videos.

When we think of people as they were when they were children....

Very interesting article. I didn't think about the possibility that some of the recruits thought they had no other choice. A lot of young men and women here join the military because they are desperate and feel they have any other options, not because they want to protect their country, so it isn't very far fetched that the same would hold true for other countries. This was especially true during the Bush administration when jobs were nearly impossible to find.

What I Discovered From Interviewing Imprisoned ISIS Fighters