January Health Challenge (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to jump back on the health challenge! I really "let myself go" over the last few months. I have been afraid to get on the scale! I hope I can get myself motivated to do some walking as well as eat better.

I'm getting back into my exercise routine. Today, I did a 3-mile walk with my sister and two friends. It was chilly out, but the walk was invigorating.

Reactions: Val
For me, January is finally scope month! :D I have my scope 8th January. My last day with dairy will then be 7th January, as I can't eat before scope anyway.

So for January, it's getting back on my vegan diet again that will be my health focus. It ususally take a couple of weeks to get everything out of the system.

I have plan to joining a gym, but at the moment, I do have to get lesser pains. All the exuses you know, but lifting weights aren't what I'm happy to do, when I struggle to open a jar because my hands don't work proper. :p

My monthly resolution is yoga every day. So far so good! I've also had walks on the two days it wasn't pouring. Got on the scale today and I'm on the light side of where I've been these last four months - so yay! Chasing granddaughters around must have burned some calories!

My sister and two friends with whom I sometimes walk/work out are doing monthly challenges to keep us all on track for a healthy 2019. So this month we are calling it jiggle-free January, hehe, and are working on toning. We are doing small sets of situps, crunches, lunges, light weights, etc., throughout the month in addition to cardio. I did 15 situps and 3 pushups today and I walked 4 miles outside. It was chilly, but the sun was out, so I wanted to take advantage before the clouds roll in. We are getting rain tonight and tomorrow.

Reactions: Mikkel and Val
I kicked back on WW and dropped 2.7 lbs. I didn’t gain as much as I did last January, when I went back on the program after gaining 12 lbs of the original weight that I lost when I first started in May 2014, so this time will be a easier I think. I like how it’s already working after only three days.

Not doing well with exercise as it seems one issue after another keeps holding me back...it started with the hip/pelvic/back issue in November, which lasted a good six weeks, then I didn’t sleep well for 2-3 weeks and now I have a really bad cold since Monday. But everything in due time.

Reactions: Mikkel
I kicked back on WW and dropped 2.7 lbs. I didn’t gain as much as I did last January, when I went back on the program after gaining 12 lbs of the original weight that I lost when I first started in May 2014, so this time will be a easier I think. I like how it’s already working after only three days.

Not doing well with exercise as it seems one issue after another keeps holding me back...it started with the hip/pelvic/back issue in November, which lasted a good six weeks, then I didn’t sleep well for 2-3 weeks and now I have a really bad cold since Monday. But everything in due time.
I'm sorry about all the physical/sleep struggles. That has to be so frustrating. I hope you feel better soon. There is one nasty cold going around, I guess. My friend in Maine, who never gets sick, has had back-to-back colds.

I'm still sore from my upper body workout two days ago. Holy cow! I figured out how to use the assisted pullups machine, something that had previously intimidated me. I must have lifted too much weight because I am sore as f***. I should have mostly recovered by now... I'll lift less weight next time.

Worked out legs last night. I must have gone too easy on it, since I don't feel very sore today.

I'm finding it really useful to keep a workout journal. I now have the habit of coming home, showering, and then writing down the amount of weights, sets, reps, for each exercise. I'm now able to look back several weeks and visually see the progress I've made. Next step: Take a photo of myself! I want to be able to take an "after" photo in a few months and see the comparison.

My goal now is to target my upper lats a bit more as well as the side and rear deltoids. I need stronger lats to be able to do pullups. As for the deltoids, I just want my arms to look awesome. Maybe I should also do some bicep curls and tricep extensions.... I'm kinda getting addicted to weight training!!

I am proud to announce I took a 2 mile walk at Beresford Park! We used to go walk there a lot some time ago. It is such a beautiful day, I felt I HAD to get out. If I can motivate myself to go there a couple times a week AND get back on that evil treadmill....
I have been doing squats every night before bed for months now and I do lift my little 3 pound weights a few times a week. I need to start counting calories again.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I went swimming again last night. I only lasted about 15 minutes, but I kept my heart rate up with 4-lap intervals and 1-2 minute rest periods between sets. I wish the pool at the gym was bigger; each lap is only 13m (avg pool is 25m or 50m).

I've been walking outside the past few days. Today, the weather is icky, though, so I'm going to focus on lower-body toning: squats and lunges.

I’ve done zero in the form of exercise but doing really well with Weight Watchers.

Reactions: Poppy
I'm not sure if this is healthy or not, but I've been cooking more pasta dishes. I figure it's an easy way to get in more veggies. The dish with the fresh fennel and radicchio was delicious. The cauliflower ditali was kinda blah. I still need to make the orecchette with broccoli rabe.

Then I made some stuffed sweet potatoes. Those were pretty decent, and they're supposed to be freezer friendly. So tomorrow I'll make a few more and stuff them in the freezer.

I also tried chia pudding, which wasn't too bad. Next on the list is overnight oats.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
So far I've done
- took my scope, results come in March
- remove dairy from diet again
- started to weigh my food and count calories. I'm using MyFitnessPal for it
- Signed up for a Freeletic membership. And had my first work out today from a 12 weeks weight loss program. It was HARD. :p

I've been more or less sitting at my current weight since October. And I'm fine with it. I'm down 14 pounds from my high, am wearing a single digit size (which I'm a small person, so that's good). Everything should be peachy. But here's the weird thing - suddenly I feel really heavy. And I've weighed myself a few times in the past week or two just make sure I'm still where I think I am - and I am. So what's with the mind tricks? :argh:

Think I'm ready to start eating better again :rolleyes:
I have a lot of fresh veggies and fruits and a plan to cook and prep for the week on Sunday!
Exercise is still hard for me! I know if I eat healthier I'll be far more able, and apt, to do it!

This time I am NOT going to think about my weight!

Status
Not open for further replies.