US Jackfruit

splendidlife

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Flexitarian
Hey guys,

Who eats Jackfruit? I'm thinking of launching a Jack fruit related product I'm working on and am interested to see how popular it is?

I've heard its a great meat substitute?!

Cheers,

Felix

Attachments

• jackfruit-tree.jpg
    jackfruit-tree.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 3
I don't like it other than in seitan ribs, and just to change up the texture. I dislike it on it's own.
I've never had it ripe, and don't think I would like it from descriptions.

Reactions: splendidlife
I cook it in my crockpot with bbq sauce and spices. I make pulled jackfruit with it. I use it on bread with slaw or tacos with kimchi.
Make sure you get the kind in brine or in water not syrup.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, Where do you buy it? I'm from the UK and don't know of many places. Do you think its getting more popular worldwide?

Really? I'm more of a Lidl man, I'l have a look, do they come already broken up or as whole fruit?

Thanks guys, Where do you buy it? I'm from the UK and don't know of many places. Do you think its getting more popular worldwide?

You will likely find it in the Asian section of your grocery store, unless you're looking for fresh. That's where I would find it in my grocery store. As for fresh jackfruit in the UK, I have no idea.

My two cents: It's okay in texture, in my humble opinion, but if I was to make something along those lines, I prefer mushrooms. Like King Oyster, for example. And for its popularity, it seems to be popular here. We have jackfruit products available in our grocery store. They sell it like a pulled pork type product, vacuum sealed in some sort of BBQ sauce, I think. I've never tried it that way, but I have tried recipes using canned. As I said, it's okay, but there are better things, imho.

Nice Sainsburys do it too, thanks.

Would any of you Jack fruit lovers be interested in buying Jack fruit related products made from the wood of a Jack Fruit Tree?
There is not much out there at the moment and I am looking into doing this.

Thanks,

Felix

Nice Sainsburys do it too, thanks.

Would any of you Jack fruit lovers be interested in buying Jack fruit related products made from the wood of a Jack Fruit Tree?
There is not much out there at the moment and I am looking into doing this.

Thanks,

Felix

Jack fruit wood probably belongs to the high-end furniture market. You need to go after the affluent consumers.

I have heard that, I was thinking that its a lovely looking wood, though I am still trying to find out if Jack fruit wood is a sustainable resource. hmmm...

Hey guys,

Who eats Jackfruit? I'm thinking of launching a Jack fruit related product I'm working on and am interested to see how popular it is?

I've heard its a great meat substitute?!

Cheers,

Felix

I haven't been impressed.

I've tried several products. Always too sweet. Extremely low protein.

I don't like jackfruit at all. I find it too sweet, I'm not sure if it the sauce or the jackfruit itself.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas