It's funny how the shape of pasta matters.

Blobbenstein

Reaction score
It's odd that I get bored of particular shapes of pasta. I really like one for a while and then get tired of it..It's only a shape. I shop online so can't always see what the shape is, and there isn't much choice at Tesco anyway.

What shapes do you like?

I quite like spirally ones.....macaroni is good sometimes. I've been eating spirally spaghetti recently, fusilli lunghi. Nice with Vegusto no-moo melty.

2782205066_3c9c5837b0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52 and ledboots
Depending on what I use it for, I use different shapes. Like the shells capture more hunks of sauce and diced veggies, while with skinny spaghetti the sauce sticks to the strands. I like your curly kind. The most common kind I use is fusilli.
58065f554d75b26ed66e198dd2277a49.jpg

While looking for a photo I found this interesting site about pasta shapes and usage.
Pasta Shapes Dictionary | Pasta Fits

Depending on what I use it for, I use different shapes. Like the shells capture more hunks of sauce and diced veggies, while with skinny spaghetti the sauce sticks to the strands.

My wife believes that the shape of pasta alters its taste, I tend to agree due to the above quote. I love all shapes of pasta but fresh fettuccine served with a white sauce and a good glass of wine is my favorite :)

Reactions: ledboots and KLS52
My all time favorite is any kind of super thin spaghetti, i.e. capellini or vermicelli. While I love fettuccine, I do not like linguini at all...weird.
I live (That's supposed to be love but live works too, lol) pasta and can enjoy almost any shape. Of the non spaghetti types I most like rigatoni and penne.

Reactions: ledboots
Typically you want to match the thickness of the sauce with the thickness of the pasta to complement the flavor. Also, the shapes to hold the sauces. A heavy sauce to a thicker pasta, a lighter sauce for a lighter, thinner pasta. With soups a smaller pasta. Of course there is stuffing pasta and layering pasta.

At home I just eat 100% whole wheat pasta so the shapes are somewhat limited. I just stock thin spaghetti for when I make tomato sauces, pesto, etc and penne for things like pasta salad. I don't get sick of those two shapes.

Reactions: KLS52
Typically you want to match the thickness of the sauce with the thickness of the pasta to complement the flavor. Also, the shapes to hold the sauces. A heavy sauce to a thicker pasta, a lighter sauce for a lighter, thinner pasta. With soups a smaller pasta. Of course there is stuffing pasta and layering pasta.

Ah! A pasta connoisseur! :)

My absolute favourites are linguine and Orecchiette. The pasta has to be dry, wholewheat, durum and organic.

I also like buckwheat pasta however as it is very expensive, I only have it as an occasional treat.

I'm not a fan of egg and fresh pasta.

I used to only like spaghetti and macaroni, but these days I eat all of them.

I quite like fresh (no egg) thick "noodle" pasta. Seashell-shaped pasta is nice too. Orzo is an interesting one.

On an everyday basis, I prefer wholewheat pastas for their fibre.

The most common ones I use are regular spaghetti (not thin), seashell, macaroni, rotini, and either ziti or mostaccioli, depending on which one the store carries. It definitely depends on the sauce as to which shape of pasta I use.

I've tried whole wheat and rice pastas, but just couldn't get used to the taste.

I like angel hair or thin spaghetti, penne, ziti (for baking it, yum) and the tri-color twisted pasta (I forget the name) for when I make a cold pasta salad. I also love bow tie pasta for when I'm doing a greens and pasta mix with olive oil and garlic.

As SuicideBlonde said, it's all about the right shape for whatever sauce you're using. For instance, vermicelli/angel hair is great with a drizzle of olive oil, fresh herbs and fresh tomatoes, but it becomes a soggy mess with heavier sauces.

Indeed.

That little tidbit of information (different sauces work best with different pastas) is normally in the introduction of any halfway decent Italian cookbook.

I personally am partial to Lasagnette, but they are normally hard to find:

lasagnette.jpg

Best regards,
Andy

Reactions: ledboots and KLS52