News Islamist terror attacks in Lyon (France), Sousse (Tunisia) and Kuwait

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
A man has been decapitated and several others injured at a factory in France in what President Francois Hollande has called a terrorist attack.

Two men drove into the Air Products gas factory near Lyon, French officials said, before several explosions were heard.

One of the suspects, who was investigated by police in 2006, has been arrested.

The dead man was found with Arabic inscriptions on him and an Islamist flag was found near the site.
More: France attack: Man decapitated in attack near Lyon - BBC News (26. June 2015)

I'm reading that the decapitated man in Lyon was the arrested man's boss. So perhaps not a completely random act of terror.

I'm reading that the decapitated man in Lyon was the arrested man's boss. So perhaps not a completely random act of terror.

Ah, perhaps a personal grudge morphed into a political/religious act to try to justify a murder.

Actually, IMO, probably all acts of terror are that, in one way or another.

I find these attacks so shocking if they were related. They seem so random and how would anybody be able to predict them.

I am sitting at home hearing my neighbours out of my window having a Ramadan celebration in their garden. They live peacefully with all of my other other neighbours and their community.

It makes me sick that if it was an "Islamist" terrorist attack that the Koran has been hijacked by these c**ts.

Well, i heard of this horrible terracts yesterday, but posted in a gripe thread (my local news are slow and stupid). They say, that most of victims are british... So sorry to know that!

I have no idea what the solution would be to try and stop these awful people.

I think it would help if some of us, and the politicians could acknowledge the appeal of radicalisation.
Every bloody year the establishment tried to radicalise us to glorify in war, every poppy day....yet you try to get the people who would order up Trident ,to acknowledge the appeal of jihad to young Muslims, and they'll clam up.

It's meant to be the worst terrorist attack on British people since 7/7. I have no idea what the solution would be to try and stop these awful people.
On the left side of the political spectrum you're typically not alone in feeling like that. Conservative and right-leaning politicians on the other hand always seem to know the answer: close the borders, surveillance of friends and foes, extra-judicial killings with drones, legalization of inhumane interrogation techniques, keeping suspects locked away without charges or sentencing. And in a climate of fear, those are measures that people are increasingly willing to try, instead of addressing the root causes of radicalization.

IS are meant to use very sophisticated grooming techniques to attract people. I just can't wrap my head around why people join IS, especially since some of the girls joining IS were meant to be intelligent young women. I think back to when I was a teenager and I can't imagine joining a bizarre medieval death cult! Do you think they have some prior knowledge about the people they attract and they target them? Maybe they were bullied or had some type of emotional problems and they see the cult as providing some type of community or family, like young people joining gangs. I don't know...

They probably cut through all the ******** that the media fill the west with, but then they probably present more ******** to take its place. Change is as good as a rest.

IS are meant to use very sophisticated grooming techniques to attract people. I just can't wrap my head around why people join IS, especially since some of the girls joining IS were meant to be intelligent young women. I think back to when I was a teenager and I can't imagine joining a bizarre medieval death cult! Do you think they have some prior knowledge about the people they attract and they target them? Maybe they were bullied or had some type of emotional problems and they see the cult as providing some type of community or family, like young people joining gangs. I don't know...

I especially have a hard time understanding women joining. It seems to me that when an organization kills people by putting them in cages and burning them alive or drowning them, that should serve as a red flag to anyone with the slightest sense of decency, no matter what their political views.

what do you think that is?
At the heart of the issue is injustice, both real and perceived.
I especially have a hard time understanding women joining. It seems to me that when an organization kills people by putting them in cages and burning them alive or drowning them, that should serve as a red flag to anyone with the slightest sense of decency, no matter what their political views.
Maybe they're thinking that this level of cruelty is necessary in order to defeat their enemies, which are so much better equipped and funded. Maybe they're thinking they will return to more humane methods once the "revolution" is over.

At the heart of the issue is injustice, both real and perceived.

Maybe they're thinking that this level of cruelty is necessary in order to defeat their enemies, which are so much better equipped and funded. Maybe they're thinking they will return to more humane methods once the "revolution" is over.

Meh, I don't think so. It's a lot easier and cheaper to put a bullet in someone's head, slit their throats or even behead them, than to go to the effort of killing them in these particularly cruel ways. And the beheading is visually effective too.

Meh, I don't think so. It's a lot easier and cheaper to put a bullet in someone's head, slit their throats or even behead them, than to go to the effort of killing them in these particularly cruel ways. And the beheading is visually effective too.
Especially cruel treatment and public executions of prisoners instills fear in their enemies. Fear can be a very effective weapon. Iraqi forces often seem to flee without a fight when ISIL forces attack, presumably because of fear.

Especially cruel treatment and public executions of prisoners instills fear in their enemies. Fear can be a very effective weapon. Iraqi forces often seem to flee without a fight when ISIL forces attack, presumably because of fear.

That's why I mentioned beheading. I think that raises visceral horror too, and has much the same effect on its potential victims as the burning and drowning.

IMO, there is something irretrievably damaged in the psyche of someone who can intentionally torture someone to death, whether the being who is tortured is a human or a nonhuman animal.

Reactions: ledboots