Question Is zinc a heavy metal?

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I was discussing supplements with a friend who is a chemistry engineer, and he pointed out that zinc is a heavy metal. He said this is a problem at least in fish farming because the fish farmers use zinc to keep their fish healthy, but the excess zinc falls to the ocean floor where it accumulates and is more or less a heavy metal pollutant.

Should I be worried about supplementing with zinc?

I was discussing supplements with a friend who is a chemistry engineer, and he pointed out that zinc is a heavy metal. He said this is a problem at least in fish farming because the fish farmers use zinc to keep their fish healthy, but the excess zinc falls to the ocean floor where it accumulates and is more or less a heavy metal pollutant.

Should I be worried about supplementing with zinc?
I like this particular site. It comes up with quite detailed and full articles about nutrition.:p This exact article reviews the types, benefits, dosage recommendations, and potential side effects of zinc supplements. I hope you find, at least, some answers to your questions.:)
Zinc Supplements: Types, Benefits, Dosage, and Side Effects

I like this particular site. It comes up with quite detailed and full articles about nutrition.:p This exact article reviews the types, benefits, dosage recommendations, and potential side effects of zinc supplements. I hope you find, at least, some answers to your questions.:)
Zinc Supplements: Types, Benefits, Dosage, and Side Effects
I learnt a few things there - I didn't realise there were different types of zinc and that they have different 'elemental' zinc content, for example. Thanks!

hmmm . . . sounds to me like it is kind of difficult to 'overdo it' with zinc supplements, but it is possible? I thank you for this thread, since it has inspired me to learn something new! :)

at one time I was taking a multi that had about 15 mg of zinc*. At the time was in the habit of taking my multi before breakfast - and frequently I would get nausea and a few times I threw up.

It turns out that zinc can have some adverse effects. especially if taken on an empty stomach.

Zinc and vitamin C might help fight off a cold.

Zinc supplements are generally well tolerated, though they've been associated with adverse side effects like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach pain in some people

* The RDA for Zinc for men is 11

• Informative
Reactions: bEt
This site has some interesting discussion of zinc, but I didn't find a list of references on the page.

One of the first things in the article is that it wasn't until 1963 that zinc was recognized as a necessary nutrient in humans.

It also says,

"Zinc is needed for insulin to work well. It’s also involved in protein and DNA synthesis. Bone and teeth need zinc for good mineralization. Zinc is also needed to prevent birth defects.

Zinc works in the exchange of carbon dioxide between the lungs and the bloodstream. It's also part of enzyme functions in the liver and intestine."

Yes, it's true that zinc can be toxic when it accumulates in large amounts. One potential solution is using higher levels of bioavailable zinc sources that are more efficiently metabolized by the fish. Other options to reduce zinc pollution include using advanced filtration systems or changing the type of feed used.

• Informative
Reactions: bEt