Is there a way to not watch threads by default?

Tom L.

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Strict vegetarian
I come to VeggieViews often enough, so I'd like to set my account so that I don't have to either "unwatch" threads or get a lot of new-reply notifications. I thought I had done that, but I guess I didn't.

The settings Blobbenstein linked to will work for future threads that you post in, but it won't do anything with threads you're already watching. It's of course possible to unwatch each of those threads individually, but there was no way to do all of them in one go ... until I wrote my fantastic add-on. Unfortunately it's not working right now, but I'll see if I can resurrect it again later tonight.

The settings Blobbenstein linked to will work for future threads that you post in, but it won't do anything with threads you're already watching. It's of course possible to unwatch each of those threads individually, but there was no way to do all of them in one go ... until I wrote my fantastic add-on. Unfortunately it's not working right now, but I'll see if I can resurrect it again later tonight.

Sure, now you make a fix. I had to go through 20 pages of individually checking threads to unwatch... talk about tedious, but at least I can start using my email again. :p

Is there anyway you can make watching treads and emails to be an "opt in" rather than an "opt out". I can't imagine there are too many people that really want to get emails every time someone responses to a topic they posted in.

My add-on should be working again now - this thread explains how it works.

Sure, now you make a fix. I had to go through 20 pages of individually checking threads to unwatch... talk about tedious, but at least I can start using my email again. :p
Sorry about that ...
Is there anyway you can make watching treads and emails to be an "opt in" rather than an "opt out". I can't imagine there are too many people that really want to get emails every time someone responses to a topic they posted in.
I think for new members it is an opt-in, and has been for a while. However, I didn't want to forcibly change a setting like that for existing members.

Thanks, everybody! I knew about unwatching threads, but it seemed like every time I posted in it again, I was watching again. I thought I had changed my default to not automatically watch threads, but I guess I didn't.