Philosophy Is maths part of the natural world?

Like Nog was saying, a lot depends on what you mean by "the natural world". Are natural events a part of the natural world, even though events are not necessarily (natural) objects, per se? (Or are events perhaps merely attributes to the only thing that is a part of a natural world: natural objects?) How about relations between natural objects? How about natural states-of-affairs or facts? All these entities or concepts still very much involve natural objects. And yet even with them, it is already to me an open question, whether they are "a part of the natural world" -- or, maybe to put it another way, whether something like natural relations or natural states-of-affairs exist. So I think one would first need to figure out those, before moving into something that is more abstract, more idealized -- one degree further removed from natural objects -- such as mathematical laws or principles in logic.

I would say that many mathematical laws apply or are true of natural objects (they apply to the triangles you physically create, or to sets of objects that you compare and organize in physical reality). And in that sense, they could perhaps be seen as belonging to a group of facts or states-of-affairs which also includes ordinary natural facts ("the water is frozen"). But then, we would need to first establish what I was saying above, namely whether our "world" consists of, say, only spatio-temporal objects, or whether it also involves relations and facts, etc.

To me, talking about "the natural world" suggests the connotation of a world independent from human thought and culture, and so perhaps what the expression is aiming at is "independent existence" and/or "objective reality" (maybe those two are interchangeable?). But even those concepts are pretty difficult to define. Independent of what? Not of humans: many physical (and to me, natural) objects or processes exist in human bodies, and the fact that they wouldn't exist without humans obviously doesn't make them any less part of an independently existing, objective reality. Maybe it could mean "independent of being represented" -- if something existed even when there was no representation of it (in thought, in writing, in perception, etc.), then maybe it would "exist independently", be part of an "objective reality". But what does it mean for X to exist? 'Existence' would seem to just invoke those other terms (such as independence, reality or objectivity). The question of what we mean by X existing is merely just one way, among others, of asking the same question again, of whether such things as mathematical laws are a part of nature.

Maybe the issue should be framed in terms of sentences or propositions and their truth. Mathematical principles being part of the natural world, or of objective reality, would then mean that they would be true propositions or sentences even at a point in time where there was no representation of them. But would that be enough? Maybe English grammar or spelling rules could still be said to be true, in a future universe where all sentient life was eliminated, as rules pertaining to a product of human culture created in the past. When saying "'horses runned' is not correct but 'horses ran' is", the words 'horses' and 'run' could simply refer back to a time when the English language was used. And mathematical laws without current representation of them could then likewise refer to human-cultural objects of the past. So then we would need to insist that mathematical propositions be true in a situation where they were, not just "are not represented now" but also "have never been represented" (but then by thinking about those never-represented propositions, we would be representing them).

Everything is part of the natural world. Except for conceptual things that aren't really things but are represented by real things which are part of the natural world. Or so.

Can we agree that math is based on observation?

I do not think math is necessarily based on observation. Some math may have been 'developed' based on observation, some can also be explained based on observation, but it seems that there's a lot of math with the only connection to observation being that of symbols.

Instead, why not use the example, "parallel lines don't intersect." Most people with a basic knowledge of mathematics or reasoning skills would agree that this is true, self-evident, whatever, but if you ask a mathematician you will likely get, "it depends," or from a few, "absolutely not." It all depends on the postulates we believe going into the discussion.

Yet anyone who holds a sphere and is asked if parallel lines don't intersect will realize that Euclid may have been wrong.

I do not think math is necessarily based on observation. Some math may have been 'developed' based on observation, some can also be explained based on observation, but it seems that there's a lot of math with the only connection to observation being that of symbols.

I disagree. Even simple counting maths require discretizing the matter to be counted, and that is a subjective process. The counter and "discretizor" are placing the value on the process. This is all based on observation, or else it is random and pointless. If you choose to look at it abstractly, then it is entirely a human construct which, to me, implies human values which are inherently based on observation.

I didn't find ny meaning in your post. I was just hoping you could follow up with something meaningful. I don't mean that as a jab.

It was a very literal response to the thread title because when I tried to respond less literally the question seemed so vague as not to actually have any correct answer. I was more or less implying that I consider the 'natural world' to mean everything that exists.

It was a very literal response to the thread title because when I tried to respond less literally the question seemed so vague as not to actually have any correct answer. I was more or less implying that I consider the 'natural world' to mean everything that exists.

OK, but your definition of natural deviates pretty far from most others. I guess I was hoping for an explanation as to why.

OK, but your definition of natural deviates pretty far from most others. I guess I was hoping for an explanation as to why.

There's not very much to it. I just can't think of any objective reason why humans should be counted as above, beyond, or somehow outside of nature. Not that I can't see why we began to think of ourselves that way, it just doesn't make any sense to me to draw some line in our history and declare that we're no longer part of (what would otherwise be) everything.

I disagree. Even simple counting maths require discretizing the matter to be counted, and that is a subjective process. The counter and "discretizor" are placing the value on the process.

That's like saying gas, liquid or solid is a subjective idea, since humans have to classify it, and are thus putting value on it.

I disagree. Even simple counting maths require discretizing the matter to be counted, and that is a subjective process. The counter and "discretizor" are placing the value on the process. This is all based on observation, or else it is random and pointless.

I think your examples are just showing applications of math, not showing anything necessarily inherent to math.

Math is built on axioms. Simply change an axiom to the 'Not axiom' and you're moving away from observation. You can also simply add an axiom that is not inherent to observation.

So like I said, I can see that some math started from observation and some math describes observation, but I don't see it going any further.

If you choose to look at it abstractly, then it is entirely a human construct which, to me, implies human values which are inherently based on observation.

(bolding mine)

While I follow the first part, I do follow the second (bolded part). Human constructs do not necessarily have to be based on observation. I can imagine things I've never experienced.

I think your examples are just showing applications of math, not showing anything necessarily inherent to math.

Math is built on axioms. Simply change an axiom to the 'Not axiom' and you're moving away from observation. You can also simply add an axiom that is not inherent to observation.

So like I said, I can see that some math started from observation and some math describes observation, but I don't see it going any further.

(bolding mine)

While I follow the first part, I do follow the second (bolded part). Human constructs do not necessarily have to be based on observation. I can imagine things I've never experienced.

I think what I am commenting on is fundamental to what we regard as "math". Math is truly built on postulates, not axioms. Postulates are what we accept to be true. Axioms are based on postulates. Axioms are, by definition axiomatic. Ir's all human.

I understand that you can imagine things you have never experienced, but those imaginations are are limited to the options availed to you.

I think what I am commenting on is fundamental to what we regard as "math".

You stated 'simple counting maths require discretizing the matter to be counted' and 'The counter and "discretizor" are placing the value on the process. This is all based on observation, or else it is random and pointless.' That to me was an example, not fundamental to math. Does all math require counters and discretizors?

Math is truly built on postulates, not axioms. Postulates are what we accept to be true. Axioms are based on postulates. Axioms are, by definition axiomatic. Ir's all human.

I'm confused by your position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axiom

I understand that you can imagine things you have never experienced, but those imaginations are are limited to the options availed to you.

Well, I guess with this example we'll just have to agree to disagree.