Is it time to stop using the V-word?

SummerRain

I dreamed that God would be forgiving.
Reaction score
I just came across this video....

I thought I'd share.

I generally sort of resent having to describe myself as vegan... I think that by subscribing to a label that describes ethics/etc you run the risk of thinking about "what's vegan?" rather than "what's moral?"... which for me is a big negative of identifying as "vegan". But I do call myself vegan, because it makes it easier socially - for people to know what you do/don't eat, and also I think having a label means people take your dietary requirements more seriously. I.e. they think of them as something you never eat, rather than a preference.

While I don't call myself vegan, I use the word to identify what I will/won't eat, use, wear, etc.

I think we should continue using the word in the "right" way; as originally intended. Currently, the word is being constantly being misused and misrepresented in the media and people in general. I think it's kinda tragic.

Reactions: thefadedone
This is a fascinating topic!

I spent about 10 years calling myself vegan. Which was actually fine.

Then I stopped calling myself vegan for the next 8 years and instead said I ate a compassionate diet (because my husband thought it was a bit too much of on off-putting 'label' for people). I catered for events (with exclusively vegan food without even calling it vegan!!! Everyone loved the food so much they actually started asking loads of questions and going vegan). So, I guess that worked too.

Then about a year or two ago - loads of people I knew started randomly saying 'oh I've been vegan for a couple of months etc'. I felt as if I might be doing the vegan world a disservice by hiding behind the 'I eat a compassionate diet' front. So I started calling myself vegan again.

Now - I am totally and utterly a VEGAN by name and proud.... I tell people I am making vegan food and everyone seems totally cool with that. In fact, the people I encounter seem to equate vegan with being quite cool, healthy and better in so many ways (at least the people I come across).

I'm not sure that I agree with any of the points in the video.
It feels dis-empowering.
It reminds me of the 'hand-over-your-power-to-the-bully' scenario, which feels wrong to me.

I have always found that people have been respectful to my being a vegan, although I do appreciate that it isn't quite so straight forward.. I wonder though if this has to do with my own attitude. I love all sentient life (including people) and don't judge meat eaters as 'bad', so they don't feel threatened by me. I don't feel that I ever have to defend my perspective. I know in my heart what my truth is and don't have to prove it to anyone.

The guy in the funny hat convinced me!

I'm a 'non-speciesist' from now on :)

Probably I'll still use the word 'vegan' from time to time.

That's only because I don't want to have go through all the "what if a monkey made you a sandwich?" nonsense again ...

Reactions: mary1