Is it ok to judge someone for what goes on in their mind?

Blobbenstein

Reaction score
Can people really help what goes on in their minds?

I was just thinking(reading another thread) that is is wrong to judge someone for body issues like obesity, or anorexia, but issues like those often spring from issues in their minds. (The brain is also part of the body too by the way. :p)

Take obesity; obese people often get thought of as greedy, as pigs, which isn't so much a judgement of their bodies, as their minds, and self.
So if it is ok to judge someone for the way their minds work, this reinforces some components of judging people for their bodies, IMO.

People can't help being fascist, or neocons. People can't help despising fascists and neocons.

Can't we all just get along....?

upload_2014-8-6_9-0-59.jpeg

I have to assume you are talking about calculated personal decisions rather than thoughts affected by mental illness.

In that case, people definitely do have control over what they do, and they should definitely be held accountable for their actions which may hurt others.

I suppose you could argue determinism or something but on our personal level, in our world, in day to day life, people should absolutely have to live up to that standard of decency, and by not doing so they are opening themselves up to scrutiny and deserved judgment.

In that case, people definitely do have control over what they do
yes but that control is part of the process of their mind. People have to take responsibility for their actions, because nobody else really can, I agree, but everyone is different, and has vastly different upbringings and experiences, which mould their mind.

I think people have to be held to account for their actions, but that doesn't mean we have to really judge them....although I do.

I think some people judge me for the way I have lived my life...perhaps they think I am lazy for example....but then a few years back, I looked over my life and wondered whether I really had much choice....maybe I made the only choices I really could.....maybe I know better now, but I didn't then.....maybe I was lazy, at times, but there were also issues about shyness, etc etc.......maybe I have lived a fairly optimal life....only it has turned to ****....maybe it is my fault, or maybe it isn't.....maybe a highly successful actor, scientist, artist etc....is just living the life they want....who wouldn't want to be successful?

No, as instinctual thoughts often are uncontrolled or even undesired, but it's probably possible to gradually condition yourself.

You do have the freedom whether to voice them openly or not, however.

I think people have to be held to account for their actions, but that doesn't mean we have to really judge them

?????

"Man arrested for murder. Police hold him accountable, but refrain from judging him, because what goes on in his mind isn't his fault."

What you're saying just doesn't make any sense. At best it's contradictory and at worst it's pointless.

If a zombie attacks me I'm not going to judge it (in regards to perceiving it as evil or bad, not in regards to putting it through a legal trial). It isn't the zombie's fault, just doing what its instincts tell it to do. I'm still going to shoot it on the face out of personal interest, but it's nothing personal.

The distinction between passing judgment and the act of judging in court is important, btw, if we want to avoid a debate based only on semantic interpretations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blobbenstein
yes, if you want to reduce the murders(or for any crime) that occur in society, you have to offer a deterrent. Send a suspect to court, and if found guilty they go to prison....doesn't have to be about viewing them as a 'bad' person.

I might elaborate, yes it is if they use said thoughts to commit heinous actions. Cuddling them and giving them a bouquet of chrysanthemums and telling them you are there for them,

will not stop someone who has thoughts of wanting to take advantage of other people, and acts on such thoughts.

I might elaborate, yes it is if they use said thoughts to commit heinous actions. Cuddling them and giving them a bouquet of chrysanthemums and telling them you are there for them,

will not stop someone who has thoughts of wanting to take advantage of other people, and acts on such thoughts.

so what will stop them, and do your actions constitute as judging them?

If I were judged by what goes on in my mind I probably would have been handcuffed, strapped to a rocket, and launched into the sun by the time I was 12.

Yes, but people are not fully developed when they are under 18 or so. It is different with adults.

so what will stop them, and do your actions constitute as judging them?

Probably nothing. Depending on their reasons to do bad things. If they are out for revenge or it is a cry for help, they might be reached, but if they are just mean or greedy (avaricious) then they will probably do what they want whatever anyone says.

I think some people judge me for the way I have lived my life...perhaps they think I am lazy for example....but then a few years back, I looked over my life and wondered whether I really had much choice....maybe I made the only choices I really could.....maybe I know better now, but I didn't then.....maybe I was lazy, at times, but there were also issues about shyness, etc etc.......maybe I have lived a fairly optimal life....only it has turned to ****....maybe it is my fault, or maybe it isn't.....maybe a highly successful actor, scientist, artist etc....is just living the life they want....who wouldn't want to be successful?

Also, the things you are describing above are hardly bad. I am talking about serial killers and fraudulent investment bankers etc... your situation does not show any moral weaknesses, only some problems doing some things that other people find easier to do.

In fact your problems kind of mirror mine in some ways. In the world, people who are "powerful, driven, focused, dynamic" etc are often lauded and valued and admired, but I have a sort of light, unfocussed energy and I am not very good at getting much done and I am not really a very powerful person either... but I realised a while back, who cares anyway? I dont have to be how people think I should be.

I don't know the answer to my OP....what's the point in not judging peope, if I only end up judging people for judging people...o_O

But judging people for what goes on in someone's mind still seems like judging a rock for being a rock....so it's a rock; you can build a house with it, or chuck it at someone, or jungle with it..

but maybe judging can put pressure on people to re-evaluating their lives, but too often it is just a way for people to blame others for their own problem; scapegoating......I think scapegoating just leaves the goat feeling resentful, rather than getting the goat to see that they are in the wrong....see what I did there?:p

I don't know the answer to my OP....what's the point in not judging peope, if I only end up judging people for judging people...o_O

But judging people for what goes on in someone's mind still seems like judging a rock for being a rock....so it's a rock; you can build a house with it, or chuck it at someone, or jungle with it..

But a rock can't think.

The apt comparison here would be to the person utilizing the rock in this example, rather than the rock itself.

I'm totally fine with judging the person who threw the rock at someone, because they threw a rock at someone. Of course, their motivation matters. In fact, this is just a bizarrely difficult analogy to work with.

I'm still not entirely sure what you're getting at with this thread. Do we judge people for doing things? Uh, yes? That's how human interactions work?

I think that Blobbenstein doesnt like to be judgemental.