Is it ok to eat dairy, when there is a meat by-product?

Do you think it could become acceptable for us (vegetarians) to eat veal because it would mean that

• Total voters
M

MFornander

Dairy products in themselves are not meat, obviously, yet the production of some dairy products and in particular milk have an inevitable meat by-product. In the case of milk it is a calf, most of these male calves are killed at birth or exported abroad where regulations are usually poor.​
My question to you is; Do you think that it is wrong that we buy products that contribute to the unnecessary killing of animals?​
If so, do you think it could become acceptable for us (vegetarians) to eat veal because it would mean that they are reared in a welfare-friendly way in England and would be saving them from a fate of either no life or a painful life?​
Please let me know what you think :)

Personally, I think the reasons you described are reasons to STOP dairy, not START veal.

Yes, but most vegetarians eat/drink dairy produce, hence why they are not vegan. Do you think that vegetarians should therefore become vegan?

Yes, I do. If your goal is to boycott as much animal abuse as possible, I feel being a vegetarian should only be a stepping stone to veganism. The cruelty in the dairy and egg industries are just as bad as meat. I see no difference between someone who eats dairy and eggs and someone who eats meat.

Thank you, I think your opinion is very valid. These industries definitely do not get scrutinized as much as pure meat production does.

I put it on both forums to get a balanced insight

I dont see why that would happen. I am only interested in how people view the ethical dilemma that comes with deciding not to eat meat but eating dairy products still.

I dont see why that would happen. I am only interested in how people view the ethical dilemma that comes with deciding not to eat meat but eating dairy products still.

Just from experience. I noticed that you haven't said "Hi" in the introduction thread. That's a great place to start.

I am sorry for any offence caused, I am new to this forum and I have never been part of a forum. I hope that the thread sounds better now. I am not here to argue I am just generally curious as its a subject that really interests me

Hi, Possibly transitioning, in the research stages I guess I could say

Hi, I dont want to be part of this forum anymore how do I delete my account? Thanks

Probably a mod will be along and will do it.....non-mods can't close accounts.

You're probably surprised that the debate between vegetarians and vegans is a pretty old one.

Yeah, I think I need to go think about this on my own and then if I decide to change I will return here. Thanks everyone for an interesting debate :)

Just a note from a vegetarian: Eating veal will never become acceptable for vegetarians because it is meat. We do draw a line. We may eat dairy and eggs, but we don't eat meat.

Now please let this thread die.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
Why are there 2 of these threads?

Perhaps the threads are multiplying. I will come back in an hour and there will be 16.

They said they posted one in vegetarian and one in vegan sub forums to get the opinions of each group.