Is it me or is vegan footwear expensive?

Garry Z.

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum. I have been eating plant-based for about two years. I have not bought any leather shoes since then. I have been feeling pretty guilty about still wearing my leather boots and I am now transitioning into throwing them out and making sure all of the clothing I will be wearing will be cruelty-free. Aside for Matt and Nat, doesn't it feel like fashionable vegan boots (at least for men) seem overly expensive?

This reminds me of skateboard clothing. Skateboarding is filled with a rebellious bunch who are anti-establishment..yet when you look at their gear, you aren't getting anti-establishment prices. A skateboarding hoodie can easily run you over $100.

TofuRobot

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
It's not you.

I'm wearing all my existing shoes until they wear out.

Garry Z.

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
It's not you.

I'm wearing all my existing shoes until they wear out.
Same here. I just feel like an *** being around other vegans talking about the natural rights of cows while wearing their skin on my feet. Forgive me vegan gods.

• 👍
Reactions: kelli

Lou

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Vegan apparel has made great leaps and strides since I started being a vegan. So you don't get to complain or I will start telling you how ten years ago there was just Doc Martens. and only one style and one color. we had to walk barefoot to school. when it snowed we wrapped our feet in barb wire for traction. it was all uphill, too. Both ways.

as far as prices go.... look how long a shoe lasts you now. and then divide the number of years it lasts. That is the annual cost of buying vegan footwear.

The other part of buying vegan footwear is that almost all inexpensive shoes are without good working conditions. Sometimes by children. By looking for ethical shoes you are also being not funding factories that have poor working conditions and/or child labor.

But yeah, it's hard. We do what we can and buy what we can afford.

• 👍
Reactions: TofuRobot

Garry Z.

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Vegan apparel has made great leaps and strides since I started being a vegan. So you don't get to complain or I will start telling you how ten years ago there was just Doc Martens. and only one style and one color. we had to walk barefoot to school. when it snowed we wrapped our feet in barb wire for traction. it was all uphill, too. Both ways.

as far as prices go.... look how long a shoe lasts you now. and then divide the number of years it lasts. That is the annual cost of buying vegan footwear.

The other part of buying vegan footwear is that almost all inexpensive shoes are without good working conditions. Sometimes by children. By looking for ethical shoes you are also being not funding factories that have poor working conditions and/or child labor.

True that I did not take into account the ethical factory standards involved. Great point.

TofuRobot

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Same here. I just feel like an *** being around other vegans talking about the natural rights of cows while wearing their skin on my feet. Forgive me vegan gods.
I know. And then there's the non vegans who are looking for things to discredit you. I just keep doing my thing. I cannot change the past, I can only move forward.

TofuRobot

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan

As long as they last, it's really not expensive. I have spent over $200 on leather shoes before, that are still going strong. I'm totally willing to spend that much on vegan shoes instead (the next time I'm ready to invest).

Last edited:
  • 👍
Reactions: Lou