Is it me or is vegan footwear expensive?

Garry Z.

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum. I have been eating plant-based for about two years. I have not bought any leather shoes since then. I have been feeling pretty guilty about still wearing my leather boots and I am now transitioning into throwing them out and making sure all of the clothing I will be wearing will be cruelty-free. Aside for Matt and Nat, doesn't it feel like fashionable vegan boots (at least for men) seem overly expensive?

This reminds me of skateboard clothing. Skateboarding is filled with a rebellious bunch who are anti-establishment..yet when you look at their gear, you aren't getting anti-establishment prices. A skateboarding hoodie can easily run you over $100.

Garry Z.

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
It's not you.

I'm wearing all my existing shoes until they wear out.
Same here. I just feel like an *** being around other vegans talking about the natural rights of cows while wearing their skin on my feet. Forgive me vegan gods.

• 👍
Reactions: kelli

Lou

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Vegan apparel has made great leaps and strides since I started being a vegan. So you don't get to complain or I will start telling you how ten years ago there was just Doc Martens. and only one style and one color. we had to walk barefoot to school. when it snowed we wrapped our feet in barb wire for traction. it was all uphill, too. Both ways.

as far as prices go.... look how long a shoe lasts you now. and then divide the number of years it lasts. That is the annual cost of buying vegan footwear.

The other part of buying vegan footwear is that almost all inexpensive shoes are without good working conditions. Sometimes by children. By looking for ethical shoes you are also being not funding factories that have poor working conditions and/or child labor.

But yeah, it's hard. We do what we can and buy what we can afford.

• 👍
Reactions: TofuRobot

Garry Z.

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Vegan apparel has made great leaps and strides since I started being a vegan. So you don't get to complain or I will start telling you how ten years ago there was just Doc Martens. and only one style and one color. we had to walk barefoot to school. when it snowed we wrapped our feet in barb wire for traction. it was all uphill, too. Both ways.

as far as prices go.... look how long a shoe lasts you now. and then divide the number of years it lasts. That is the annual cost of buying vegan footwear.

The other part of buying vegan footwear is that almost all inexpensive shoes are without good working conditions. Sometimes by children. By looking for ethical shoes you are also being not funding factories that have poor working conditions and/or child labor.

True that I did not take into account the ethical factory standards involved. Great point.

TofuRobot

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Same here. I just feel like an *** being around other vegans talking about the natural rights of cows while wearing their skin on my feet. Forgive me vegan gods.
I know. And then there's the non vegans who are looking for things to discredit you. I just keep doing my thing. I cannot change the past, I can only move forward.

TofuRobot

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan

As long as they last, it's really not expensive. I have spent over $200 on leather shoes before, that are still going strong. I'm totally willing to spend that much on vegan shoes instead (the next time I'm ready to invest).

Last edited:
  • 👍
Reactions: Lou
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
beforewisdom Missing the NAVS Vegan Summerfest General 0
ivyonyx Becoming Vegan Transitioning 11
E Most Moving Vegan Movie/Documentary General 0
J UK Query From a New Vegan Transitioning 8
effortDee Vegan Cheese Options Food & Drink 3
GreenT UK Is 'Vegan' Expensive? Frugality 26
I The perfect vegan recipe book! Marketplace 0
Shir Gutman Product Vegan Pharmacy-Herbalism & Aromatherapy Marketplace 0
A I Ate Dairy After Being Vegan For Over Two Years! Support 16
P US 5 years vegan with no regrets Introduce Yourself 6
Food Master 🍍 US The best vegan recipes🥗 Products 0
E Poll: Your Vegan Inspiration General 17
E Nutrition & Diet Veganism Is More Than Just Being Vegan Health & Body 12
C Vegan Retreat Products 0
tlandry27 Vegan Personal Trainer and Aspiring YouTube Chef Introduce Yourself 2
T Survey-vegan consultancy workshops General 4
S New Vegan Cosmetics Brand Products 0
M Advice for transitioning vegan & food suggestions Transitioning 5
E News Vegan Blog Content Philosophy 2
W HomeFree vegan cookies Marketplace 2
A Can a pet cat be vegan? Animals 33
BoomerandJen Vegan Organic Clothing and Accessories Products 1
H Need These 100% vegan (chemical free) products Products 0
N Why you should go vegan General 5
B Product Vegan Scented Soy Candles & Premium Home Fragrance Marketplace 0
H vegan for life Introduce Yourself 3
David3 Usher switches to vegan diet General 2
Kirtisharma Looking for Vegan Perfume Products 2
H Nutrition & Diet Dr Greger/Stroke/Vegan Health & Body 8
Mork Best vegan Faux Meat brands? Food & Drink 16
Jaydoesitgood Social pressure to be the"Good Chill Vegan" Support 10
R Help-Wish to Be Vegan Again-Tempted by halloumi & goats cheese! Food & Drink 1
VeganForum Vegan For Life: Updated,Revised,Expanded & All-New Health & Body 5
R Benji and How to go Back to Being Vegan Transitioning 5
Graeme M Vegan and Farmer Connections General 6
meib Online live vegan cooking classes Marketplace 0
Jaydoesitgood Anyone wanna make a vegan childrens book? Products 0
shyvas Vegan Food Brands that Sell Meat/Dairy Food & Drink 1
P New vegan-Need recipes & advice Pls Support 15
F US Vegan Animal Communicator Support 5
NYC Gardener Going from Veganish to Vegan Transitioning 29
K UK Vegan cosmetics and nutrition Marketplace 2
R What are the most realistic vegan cheeses? Food & Drink 28
Chris509 Funny- Many stories can have vegan facts in them Philosophy 2