Is it always wrong to buy pets?

veggichorizo

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hey! So I've been vegan for a year(ish) and I've come here to ask other vegans something that I've been thinking about doing because I don't know any vegans in real life and so of course they'd pretty much be 100% OK with this and couldn't offer any useful input at all lol

Basically I like cows, and I do live in a rural area and I would like to have some pet cows. Thing is, there isn't really any way for me to actually get any cows unless I buy them from someone because, you know, it's not like rescues that take livestock animals are very widespread. One can buy dairy bull calves for $50 or less here but that's supporting the dairy industry, isn't it? Ofc those calves aren't going to go on to live full, beautiful lives as it is but maybe I'm only thinking about that because I happen to want to buy them in the first place.. I can't decide if I'm being selfish/exploitative or not...

Thoughts?

Reactions: CountessKerouac
There are few absolutes in real life. so there is few always rights or wrongs.

Of course you can't release a cow or bull into the wild. but if you have the pasturage, you could provide a cow or bull with sanctuary. And if you pay for an animal and then keep it in your pasture - well you then you have rescued it.

This would be a big responsibility, tho. I have no idea what kind of mainanince a cow needs but there must be some. supplemental feed, vitamins, medicine, vet bills....

You could take this one step further and provide a home to an animal or animals that needs sanctuary. Maybe call the local vet or animal rescue organization. they should be able to give you some good advice and maybe they even have some kind of waiting list. or maybe put you in touch with like minded individuals.

It doesn't happen around here that often but I sometimes hear about animals like goats, donkeys, and chickens who need to be adopted.

Why buy when that simply as I realised when I bought turkeys means more produced and contributes to farmer profits ?

There are sanctuaries with limited space for cows they have who could do with funds or homes for cows given up by farmers ceasing the animal business.

Reactions: Lou
Hey! So I've been vegan for a year(ish) and I've come here to ask other vegans something that I've been thinking about doing because I don't know any vegans in real life and so of course they'd pretty much be 100% OK with this and couldn't offer any useful input at all lol

Basically I like cows, and I do live in a rural area and I would like to have some pet cows. Thing is, there isn't really any way for me to actually get any cows unless I buy them from someone because, you know, it's not like rescues that take livestock animals are very widespread. One can buy dairy bull calves for $50 or less here but that's supporting the dairy industry, isn't it? Ofc those calves aren't going to go on to live full, beautiful lives as it is but maybe I'm only thinking about that because I happen to want to buy them in the first place.. I can't decide if I'm being selfish/exploitative or not...

Thoughts?
Yes, you should never own a person, if you do you are a slave owner.

Thoughts?
From the title I expected dogs or cats, which are bred to sell as pets. Of course to that is an immediate no.
Animals bred to be used and killed would be a different angle. I would suggest getting in contact with a farm sanctuary for advice on this, after all they're experts in rescues.
Do you really know about the needs of cows? Are you willing to live with more than one, so they have companionship?

Reactions: Lou
Welcome to the forum! Please do a lot of research on cows. And as suggested by others contact a farm animal sanctuary. In my early years, I lived on a small dairy farm and caring for the cows involved pasture for them with a water source (of course), shelter, and supplemental feed. They are large animals and will need a good deal of space. Cows are intelligent and a herd animal so you would have to figure out how much room is needed for the number of animals you have.