Is Google evil? What are the alternatives?

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Recent developments seem to indicate it definitely isn't as saintly as they'd like to appear. Some would even say they're downright evil.

Google runs a number of online services, including the Google search engine, and they've also developed a very popular and nice browser, Google Chrome.

So if we wanted to avoid or limit our use of Google services and software, what are the alternatives to Google?

For search engines, there is one called DuckDuckGo which is increasingly popular. Don't really know much about it. For browsers, well there is Firefox, and I believe there is a number of other browsers based on the same source code. There is also an open source version of Chrome called Chromium. Internet Explorer (on MS platforms) and Safari (on Apple computers) should probably be considered evil. Other ideas?

What about Google services such as online maps, email, storage, translation etc?

IS, you don't delineate exactly why Google is considered "evil". What have they done to merit the label?

I know Christian righties here in the US don't like Google (witness the recent brouhaha over Google honoring Cesar Chavez on Easter Sunday instead of some biblical guy named Jesus), but as much as they'd like to, these people don't have a monopoly on morals. Is there any evidence from sane, secular people to back up the claim that Google is evil?

Why is Google evil now? Firstly it's because of their Chromebook computers where the OS will only allow you to install software on "cloud storage", not on the computer itself. And you can only install software ("apps") from the Google store. That is a waste of good hardware and an insult against the ethos of Linux which is the OS that the Google Chrome OS is based on.

I thought the point of Chromebook was all about the cloud stuff...also to prevent viruses getting on your computer.....but I'm not saying Google is all ok though.

I just use Google (and affiliated products). It's easy and usually gives me the results I want. I don't really care if they keep data about me, or whatever. :shrug:

I do have an issue with G+, and don't really use that anymore.

Why is Google evil now? Firstly it's because of their Chromebook computers where the OS will only allow you to install software on "cloud storage", not on the computer itself. And you can only install software ("apps") from the Google store. That is a waste of good hardware and an insult against the ethos of Linux which is the OS that the Google Chrome OS is based on.

that is pretty crap (and sounds a lot like apple who they are meant to be the opposite of) however im a bit disappointed. i thought you meant evil like, kills baby elephants evil.

i use firefox as ive always preferred the browser. sometimes i feel like people like chrome just because its 'in' not because they prefer it.

I downloaded Google Chrome the first day it was launched, and I was amazed at how fast it was compared to Firefox. Now, I'm so used to it, it would take some amount of effort to switch to something else. I might consider Opera as an alternative, as I've used it before and was satisfied with it in the past.

that is pretty crap (and sounds a lot like apple who they are meant to be the opposite of) however im a bit disappointed. i thought you meant evil like, kills baby elephants evil.

i use firefox as ive always preferred the browser. sometimes i feel like people like chrome just because its 'in' not because they prefer it.
I actually prefer chrome. I've been using it for quite a while now (don't even remember when I switched) and I use safari, firefox, and IE to test websites and I still prefer chrome. I guess it's really just a personal style kinda thing.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr and Mel
I downloaded Google Chrome the first day it was launched, and I was amazed at how fast it was compared to Firefox. Now, I'm so used to it, it would take some amount of effort to switch to something else. I might consider Opera as an alternative, as I've used it before and was satisfied with it in the past.
same here.

I use Chrome too, and will admit I like it a lot ... But I've decided I will try to see if I can install the open source Chromium browser instead which Chrome is based on.

I've used Chrome for quite some time on my home computer, and I do prefer it over Firefox, which is what I switched from. It is much faster and I prefer the style. I'm not just using it because it's "in." :confused:

My work computer has Firefox, and while it works ok, I just don't like it as much. It's annoying to use Chrome before work, use Firefox at work, then go back to Chrome at home.

I use Safari on my iDevices, though I do have Chrome loaded on them and I like that I can access the bookmarks on my home computer on my phone, if I want, though I don't like the mobile Chrome as much as the desktop version.

Reactions: Queerasaurus Rex