Are soy products safe to consume?

zki

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I have soy milk w/coffee daily.
I have soy milk 3x / wk. with oats - fruits - nuts or seeds.
I have TVP 2x / wk.(textured vegetable protein - don't know why it has the word vegetable in its description when its basically hulled soy.)
I have Tempeh 2x / wk. I would have no problem adjusting any of those by adding more legumes - The products I mentioned are all fast & easy though...
Thanks in advance for helpful comments.

I have soy milk w/coffee daily.
I have soy milk 3x / wk. with oats - fruits - nuts or seeds.
I have TVP 2x / wk.(textured vegetable protein - don't know why it has the word vegetable in its description when its basically hulled soy.)
I have Tempeh 2x / wk. I would have no problem adjusting any of those by adding more legumes - The products I mentioned are all fast & easy though...
Thanks in advance for helpful comments.

Sounds ok to me. There is a lot of misconceptions about soy. Most of them are advanced by the dairy industry. According to Dr. Gregar you should keep your soy intake below 3 - 5 servings a day

TSP or "textured soy protein " is still under copyright of the company that invented it in the 1960s, hence the TVP you see a lot on packaging. I had wondered for years until I found that nugget out.

Oh wow, I didn't realize it came down to the studies from one bad-acting source like that! o_O Yuck.

I used to see them - the Weston A. Price Foundation (WAPF) - at environmental events. Their message had a lot of surface appeal: "Nourishing Traditions", "traditional foods", "ancestral peoples". They also promote organic and "biodynamic" farming. I'm guessing that's how they've attracted so many people.

They also promote a lot of high-animal-fat foods - lard, bone broth, raw milk, butter from pasture-raised animals. All that fatty food probably attracted people, as well.

Here's a fact-filled book from the WAPF: "Nourishing Fats: Why We Need Animal Fats for Health and Happiness": https://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Fats-Animal-Health-Happiness/dp/1455592552 .

Last edited:
I don't know, but I don't think that it's bad.
Soy has calcium and protein in it, both which are important.
I eat about 2 dl of TVP every day.

I don't know, but I don't think that it's bad.
Soy has calcium and protein in it, both which are important.
I eat about 2 dl of TVP every day.

2 deciliters of tvp a day? Soy may not be unhealthy, but defatted and protein-isolated soy in that kind of quantity might be. Don't get me wrong, I like my tvp, but even that will give me the 5#!75 if I eat more than a serving a day...

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
2 deciliters of tvp a day? Soy may not be unhealthy, but defatted and protein-isolated soy in that kind of quantity might be. Don't get me wrong, I like my tvp, but even that will give me the 5#!75 if I eat more than a serving a day...
Isn't 2 deciliters just under a cup, 8 oz? A lot depends if dry or rehydrated!

I don't use TVP much as it a by product of soy oil and uses hexane to be produced.

Now soy curls are whole soy beans and one of my favorite foods!

Isn't 2 deciliters just under a cup, 8 oz? A lot depends if dry or rehydrated!

I don't use TVP much as it a by product of soy oil and uses hexane to be produced.

Now soy curls are whole soy beans and one of my favorite foods!
A cup either way is a lot of tvp! 1/4 cup dry or half cup wet will put me on the toilet... Butlers are amazing, once the covid pandemic has run its course, I will order more of their curls.

Oh? So you think I'm eating a lot of it?
1 cup is about 2.36 dl.
I have understood that one serving of TVP is 70 g, which is about two dl?
But I eat only one dl as a serving. So one at lunch and one at dinner. I eat a lot of macaroni and spaghetti, so when I make three days worth of spaghetti sauce, I put 3 dl of TVP in it.
I don't know if that's super unhealthy...
I eat it because it's cheap and easy to prepare, has a lot of calcium and protein.

But don't get me wrong, I'm happy to know if I'm eating something unhealthy.
I'm just suprised.

How much is one serving then? I'm confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
I consume quite a bit of soy and so far so good. I’m 68 and pretty healthy. My doctor did suggest I cut back and not eat tofu every day. I didn’t really listen although I haven’t had any for a few weeks but only because I can’t get any. The stores are out. I’m kind of annoyed there are that many people who eat tofu, now, lol.

Oops!
I just checked, and I have checked this before, but I just made things too complicated for myself back then and calculated wrong.
So... One serving of TVP is 0,59 dl.
That has about 30 g of protein and maybe 123 mg of calcium.

I'm sorry, I was wrong all the time.
And all this time I have eaten way too much.... I must be active since I'm not overweight....

Oops!
I just checked, and I have checked this before, but I just made things too complicated for myself back then and calculated wrong.
So... One serving of TVP is 0,59 dl.
That has about 30 g of protein and maybe 123 mg of calcium.

I'm sorry, I was wrong all the time.
And all this time I have eaten way too much.... I must be active since I'm not overweight....

Ah, now you see why I was all like "that much would give me the 5#!75" ;). I don't know exactly where on the health spectrum tvp is, but too much protein is not healthy. Just in tvp you were getting close to 100g of it! Guess you now have a very clear answer for any carnist asking you "where do you get your protein?" lol.
Anyways, tvp isn't a whole food and it's rather processed, so I do try to keep that one low, as you just saw it doesn't take much of it to give you a load of protein and calcium. Are Butlers soy curls available in your area? (mail order?)

Ah, now you see why I was all like "that much would give me the 5#!75" ;). I don't know exactly where on the health spectrum tvp is, but too much protein is not healthy. Just in tvp you were getting close to 100g of it! Guess you now have a very clear answer for any carnist asking you "where do you get your protein?" lol.
Anyways, tvp isn't a whole food and it's rather processed, so I do try to keep that one low, as you just saw it doesn't take much of it to give you a load of protein and calcium. Are Butlers soy curls available in your area? (mail order?)

I haven't eaten like this for long tho...
It just have been during the corona outbreak. I have a lot of TVP in my cabinets, and I don't want to go to the store. So I have eaten more unhealthily than usually.
But yeah, this is bad. Thank you so much for informing me.
Wow.. Thankfully I know better now.

I think I have seen something like Butlers soy curls, but I have no idea how to prepare those, so I haven't bought yet.

I haven't eaten like this for long tho...
It just have been during the corona outbreak. I have a lot of TVP in my cabinets, and I don't want to go to the store. So I have eaten more unhealthily than usually.
But yeah, this is bad. Thank you so much for informing me.
Wow.. Thankfully I know better now.

I think I have seen something like Butlers soy curls, but I have no idea how to prepare those, so I haven't bought yet.
I got a 12 lb box in Dec and so glad I did!
I don't do recipes for them anymore, I rehydrate with warm water, rinse, then squeeze the water out using a sieve and either use a dry rub or marinade and treat like you would cooked chicken. Or...I add to the Instant Pot with veggies and whatever I want to make a sauce with and cover with water and set for 4 minutes.
The best thing ever is this recipe for jerky, which I made a tray of tonight. Both me and my son are trying hard to save some for tomorrow--
I do add a Tbls blackstrap molasses--
I wonder if you could do this with TVP?

I only tried tvp once when I first went vegan in 2005. I hated it. I’m thinking I should try it again...

I got a 12 lb box in Dec and so glad I did!
I don't do recipes for them anymore, I rehydrate with warm water, rinse, then squeeze the water out using a sieve and either use a dry rub or marinade and treat like you would cooked chicken. Or...I add to the Instant Pot with veggies and whatever I want to make a sauce with and cover with water and set for 4 minutes.
The best thing ever is this recipe for jerky, which I made a tray of tonight. Both me and my son are trying hard to save some for tomorrow--
I do add a Tbls blackstrap molasses--
I wonder if you could do this with TVP?
The recipe seems delicious. Maybe I should try that one out. Thank you. :)

I only tried tvp once when I first went vegan in 2005. I hated it. I’m thinking I should try it again...
I hated it too when I first tried it. But I didin't understand how to use spices, so of course it was hideous! I almost threw up and cried eating it.

I like mine with onion powder and ketchup.
And with spicy noodles I use a little bit of cinnamon, chili and ginger. And then I add a lot of onion powder and some kecthup + peanut butter.

Reactions: KLS52