Is eating a lot of soy products ok?

zki

Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
I have soy milk w/coffee daily.
I have soy milk 3x / wk. with oats - fruits - nuts or seeds.
I have TVP 2x / wk.(textured vegetable protein - don't know why it has the word vegetable in its description when its basically hulled soy.)
I have Tempeh 2x / wk. I would have no problem adjusting any of those by adding more legumes - The products I mentioned are all fast & easy though...
Thanks in advance for helpful comments.

Lou

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I have soy milk w/coffee daily.
I have soy milk 3x / wk. with oats - fruits - nuts or seeds.
I have TVP 2x / wk.(textured vegetable protein - don't know why it has the word vegetable in its description when its basically hulled soy.)
I have Tempeh 2x / wk. I would have no problem adjusting any of those by adding more legumes - The products I mentioned are all fast & easy though...
Thanks in advance for helpful comments.
Sounds ok to me. There is a lot of misconceptions about soy. Most of them are advanced by the dairy industry. According to Dr. Gregar you should keep your soy intake below 3 - 5 servings a day

SapphireLightning

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
TSP or "textured soy protein " is still under copyright of the company that invented it in the 1960s, hence the TVP you see a lot on packaging. I had wondered for years until I found that nugget out.

David3

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Oh wow, I didn't realize it came down to the studies from one bad-acting source like that! o_O Yuck.
I used to see them - the Weston A. Price Foundation (WAPF) - at environmental events. Their message had a lot of surface appeal: "Nourishing Traditions", "traditional foods", "ancestral peoples". They also promote organic and "biodynamic" farming. I'm guessing that's how they've attracted so many people.

They also promote a lot of high-animal-fat foods - lard, bone broth, raw milk, butter from pasture-raised animals. All that fatty food probably attracted people, as well.

Here's a fact-filled book from the WAPF: "Nourishing Fats: Why We Need Animal Fats for Health and Happiness": https://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Fats-Animal-Health-Happiness/dp/1455592552 .

Last edited:

StrangeOtter

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I don't know, but I don't think that it's bad.
Soy has calcium and protein in it, both which are important.
I eat about 2 dl of TVP every day.

SapphireLightning

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I don't know, but I don't think that it's bad.
Soy has calcium and protein in it, both which are important.
I eat about 2 dl of TVP every day.
2 deciliters of tvp a day? Soy may not be unhealthy, but defatted and protein-isolated soy in that kind of quantity might be. Don't get me wrong, I like my tvp, but even that will give me the 5#!75 if I eat more than a serving a day...

• 👍
Reactions: StrangeOtter

silva

Master
Supporter
Reaction score
2 deciliters of tvp a day? Soy may not be unhealthy, but defatted and protein-isolated soy in that kind of quantity might be. Don't get me wrong, I like my tvp, but even that will give me the 5#!75 if I eat more than a serving a day...
Isn't 2 deciliters just under a cup, 8 oz? A lot depends if dry or rehydrated!

I don't use TVP much as it a by product of soy oil and uses hexane to be produced.

Now soy curls are whole soy beans and one of my favorite foods!

SapphireLightning

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Isn't 2 deciliters just under a cup, 8 oz? A lot depends if dry or rehydrated!

I don't use TVP much as it a by product of soy oil and uses hexane to be produced.

Now soy curls are whole soy beans and one of my favorite foods!
A cup either way is a lot of tvp! 1/4 cup dry or half cup wet will put me on the toilet... Butlers are amazing, once the covid pandemic has run its course, I will order more of their curls.

StrangeOtter

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Oh? So you think I'm eating a lot of it?
1 cup is about 2.36 dl.
I have understood that one serving of TVP is 70 g, which is about two dl?
But I eat only one dl as a serving. So one at lunch and one at dinner. I eat a lot of macaroni and spaghetti, so when I make three days worth of spaghetti sauce, I put 3 dl of TVP in it.
I don't know if that's super unhealthy...
I eat it because it's cheap and easy to prepare, has a lot of calcium and protein.

But don't get me wrong, I'm happy to know if I'm eating something unhealthy.
I'm just suprised.

How much is one serving then? I'm confused.

Last edited:

KLS52

Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Other
I consume quite a bit of soy and so far so good. I’m 68 and pretty healthy. My doctor did suggest I cut back and not eat tofu every day. I didn’t really listen although I haven’t had any for a few weeks but only because I can’t get any. The stores are out. I’m kind of annoyed there are that many people who eat tofu, now, lol.

• 👍

StrangeOtter

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Oops!
I just checked, and I have checked this before, but I just made things too complicated for myself back then and calculated wrong.
So... One serving of TVP is 0,59 dl.
That has about 30 g of protein and maybe 123 mg of calcium.

I'm sorry, I was wrong all the time.
And all this time I have eaten way too much.... I must be active since I'm not overweight....

SapphireLightning

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Oops!
I just checked, and I have checked this before, but I just made things too complicated for myself back then and calculated wrong.
So... One serving of TVP is 0,59 dl.
That has about 30 g of protein and maybe 123 mg of calcium.

I'm sorry, I was wrong all the time.
And all this time I have eaten way too much.... I must be active since I'm not overweight....
Ah, now you see why I was all like "that much would give me the 5#!75" ;). I don't know exactly where on the health spectrum tvp is, but too much protein is not healthy. Just in tvp you were getting close to 100g of it! Guess you now have a very clear answer for any carnist asking you "where do you get your protein?" lol.
Anyways, tvp isn't a whole food and it's rather processed, so I do try to keep that one low, as you just saw it doesn't take much of it to give you a load of protein and calcium. Are Butlers soy curls available in your area? (mail order?)

StrangeOtter

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Ah, now you see why I was all like "that much would give me the 5#!75" ;). I don't know exactly where on the health spectrum tvp is, but too much protein is not healthy. Just in tvp you were getting close to 100g of it! Guess you now have a very clear answer for any carnist asking you "where do you get your protein?" lol.
Anyways, tvp isn't a whole food and it's rather processed, so I do try to keep that one low, as you just saw it doesn't take much of it to give you a load of protein and calcium. Are Butlers soy curls available in your area? (mail order?)
I haven't eaten like this for long tho...
It just have been during the corona outbreak. I have a lot of TVP in my cabinets, and I don't want to go to the store. So I have eaten more unhealthily than usually.
But yeah, this is bad. Thank you so much for informing me.
Wow.. Thankfully I know better now.

I think I have seen something like Butlers soy curls, but I have no idea how to prepare those, so I haven't bought yet.

silva

Master
Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't eaten like this for long tho...
It just have been during the corona outbreak. I have a lot of TVP in my cabinets, and I don't want to go to the store. So I have eaten more unhealthily than usually.
But yeah, this is bad. Thank you so much for informing me.
Wow.. Thankfully I know better now.

I think I have seen something like Butlers soy curls, but I have no idea how to prepare those, so I haven't bought yet.
I got a 12 lb box in Dec and so glad I did!
I don't do recipes for them anymore, I rehydrate with warm water, rinse, then squeeze the water out using a sieve and either use a dry rub or marinade and treat like you would cooked chicken. Or...I add to the Instant Pot with veggies and whatever I want to make a sauce with and cover with water and set for 4 minutes.
The best thing ever is this recipe for jerky, which I made a tray of tonight. Both me and my son are trying hard to save some for tomorrow--
I do add a Tbls blackstrap molasses--
I wonder if you could do this with TVP?

• 👍

KLS52

Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Other
I only tried tvp once when I first went vegan in 2005. I hated it. I’m thinking I should try it again...

• 👍

StrangeOtter

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I got a 12 lb box in Dec and so glad I did!
I don't do recipes for them anymore, I rehydrate with warm water, rinse, then squeeze the water out using a sieve and either use a dry rub or marinade and treat like you would cooked chicken. Or...I add to the Instant Pot with veggies and whatever I want to make a sauce with and cover with water and set for 4 minutes.
The best thing ever is this recipe for jerky, which I made a tray of tonight. Both me and my son are trying hard to save some for tomorrow--
I do add a Tbls blackstrap molasses--
I wonder if you could do this with TVP?
The recipe seems delicious. Maybe I should try that one out. Thank you. :)

StrangeOtter

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I only tried tvp once when I first went vegan in 2005. I hated it. I’m thinking I should try it again...
I hated it too when I first tried it. But I didin't understand how to use spices, so of course it was hideous! I almost threw up and cried eating it.

I like mine with onion powder and ketchup.
And with spicy noodles I use a little bit of cinnamon, chili and ginger. And then I add a lot of onion powder and some kecthup + peanut butter.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mork Good & bad news! China will be eating less cat & dog meat General 2
KristopherCussans What is the best argument for meat-eating? Philosophy 3
J Keep feeling starving about one hour after eating. Health & Body 10
A Vegan for 4 years and now I'm eating meat/dairy regularly. Transitioning 12
Lou What Happens To Your Body When You Stop Eating Meat Health & Body 0
W Why I think eating meat can be moral General 24
Lou Eating some meat is better for the environment than going vegetarian, new study finds Environment 5
S Elavated chol, trig after eating nutritarian Health & Body 5
TofuRobot Don't shame people for eating meat... General 14
Lou Science Friday - Eating Smarter in a Warming World General 1
Hog Do most vegans stop eating animals to end cruelty? General 8
A How to quit eating junk food-Feeling Sick Support 6
Limuray My eating choices are like a toxic relationship Health & Body 7
Emma JC another article recommending plant based eating General 0
C Wife began eating meat Relationships 15
Lou I just watched the documentary eating animals Lounge 8
Kate Eating living things Philosophy 25
R Eating in venice Holidays & Travel 1
blixa Help! feeling fatigued and weak while eating a healthy vegan diet. Health & Body 17
Lou The benefits of eating fake meat go beyond sustainability General 0
Jaydoesitgood Eating out habit Food & Drink 7
Forest Nymph There are people eating flesh and drinking blood now General 17
shyvas Excuses & Answers - For Not Eating Vegan General 8
S Should vegans consider eating insects? General 7
J Plant eating with terrible teeth Transitioning 2
beforewisdom Mike Anderson's "Eating" and more now free on Youtube General Discussion 1
Jinendra Singh Is eating meat bad for your soul? Philosophy 10
Steadylee68 Selective eating / weight loss advice Food & Drink 4
Hedgewitch Do we ingest negative energy by eating meat? Philosophy 7
Nekodaiden Have you ever tried eating something...unconventional, even for a vegan? Food & Drink 10
J Eating is an amoral thing General Discussion 8
Soffiare Veganism and eating disorders Transitioning 7
Jomama12341 Clean eating and weight loss question Support 6
H Health vs. "normal" eating Food & Drink 7
V Periods, eating disorders and veganism Health & Body 2
B Veganism with a history of eating disorders? Transitioning 5
P Carbs! ok does anyone else find eating vegan involves way too many carbs? General 1
orlaellen Eating and drinking on the go Transitioning 6
A Eating out manchester Lounge 3
Punkmorg Eating out in sheffield Lounge 5
D Veganism & restrictive eating disorders Health & Body 5
L Is this a balanced vegan diet or am i eating too much? Food & Drink 6
B Survey Healthy eating Marketplace 0
FreakyFreekeh The flesh eating 'weird vegan'... General 4
M 20lbs down while eating a TON: How I kept the weight off for 2years with NO DIETING whatsoever! Support 0
Trende Media Vegan Eating in Paris Marketplace 0
G Am I eating well? Transitioning 5
J Been eating Rice & Veggies for a week straight! Food & Drink 2
robert99 'Clean Eating' Health & Body 4
G Eating Vegan Fictionally? Lounge 8