Is decision-making easy or hard for you?

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I have a terrible time making decisions about everything. From deciding what to wear, what to eat, what movie to see, what to choose in the supermarket, etc., practically every time I have to decide on something, whether big or small, it's a hair-pulling exercise. :argh:It drives me craaazy! Whenever I actually know what I want from the outset and I go for it without any hesitation, I consider that strength of character. :rolleyes:

Part of the reason I think is because I had helicopter parents who made a lot of decisions for me, even when I became an adult, so I've had very little experience making them on my own until I absolutely had to. But even standing in the supermarket trying to decide which type of Tofurky sandwich slices I want, I have trouble. Argh!

When I was younger I used to have trouble with decisions. Sometimes it meant that I wanted both of the things and other times it meant I wanted neither. Sometimes it was because I was with somebody and I didnt want to speak up for what I wanted so I let them make the decision.

I think that I am a lot better with decisions these days. But it is because I have a better idea of what I want than I used to.

Sometimes I make really rash decisions which later turn out not to have been such a good idea. Other times I like the decision I have made.

I have a terrible time making decisions about everything. From deciding what to wear, what to eat, what movie to see, what to choose in the supermarket, etc., practically every time I have to decide on something, whether big or small, it's a hair-pulling exercise. :argh:It drives me craaazy! Whenever I actually know what I want from the outset and I go for it without any hesitation, I consider that strength of character. :rolleyes:

Part of the reason I think is because I had helicopter parents who made a lot of decisions for me, even when I became an adult, so I've had very little experience making them on my own until I absolutely had to. But even standing in the supermarket trying to decide which type of Tofurky sandwich slices I want, I have trouble. Argh!

What? What kind of decisions? Advice (preferably solicited) is fine with adult kids, but actually making decisions I don't know. Now by "adult" I mean independent, not just 18.

As far as me having trouble making decisions, never a problem.

Reactions: thefadedone
Not anymore. I do what I want when I want to.

I used to have a lot of trouble, but then I realized I'd wasted years not making the choices I wanted and therefore I was actually making the decision I didn't want by default. Never again.

I find it easy to make decisions, and equally I find it easy to change my mind if I feel that's right. I think I have a lot of confidence in myself and my choices.

I find it really hard to be told what to do though. I'm fine at taking advice, but being told what to do just rubs me up the wrong way, it makes me see red!

I have trouble making some decisions. Quite a few times I've thought of calling a friend or coming on here when I can't decide between two choices for dinner and saying, "what do you guys think, pasta or stir fry". :p

Reactions: kazyeeqen
I'm notorious for being indecisive. I can never make up my mind and make quick and easy decisions. I spend a ridiculous amount of time deciding what to wear on a daily basis. Even on days where I'm only lounging around in my pjs. I can never decide what I want or where to go, etc.

My mother is the same way. Together we are a nightmare. Neither one of us can make up our minds. For example: yesterday we met up for lunch and spent a good 30 mins trying to make up our minds on where to go. After a lot of "I don't care. Where do you want to go?" exchanges, we ended up just sitting eating take out and eating in the care because we ran out of time.:rolleyes:

Family members always get annoyed and frustrated with us. I don't blame them one bit. It annoys and frustrates me that I'm like this. I worry too much about the "What ifs" and obsess over the pros and cons of each decision. It's time consuming and tiring. I exhaust myself.:p

Reactions: kazyeeqen
I'm notorious for being indecisive. I can never make up my mind and make quick and easy decisions. I spend a ridiculous amount of time deciding what to wear on a daily basis. Even on days where I'm only lounging around in my pjs. I can never decide what I want or where to go, etc.

My mother is the same way. Together we are a nightmare. Neither one of us can make up our minds. For example: yesterday we met up for lunch and spent a good 30 mins trying to make up our minds on where to go. After a lot of "I don't care. Where do you want to go?" exchanges, we ended up just sitting eating take out and eating in the care because we ran out of time.:rolleyes:

Family members always get annoyed and frustrated with us. I don't blame them one bit. It annoys and frustrates me that I'm like this. I worry too much about the "What ifs" and obsess over the pros and cons of each decision. It's time consuming and tiring. I exhaust myself.:p

Yes, this exactly for me, too.

Historically I have not been good at deciding things.....it's like if I have to decide between two things, so I opt for one thing, and when I do that the other option suddenly looks like the better one, so I um, and er, and then decide on the other option, and then suddenly the previous option looks like the better one......back, and forth, until I mentally flip a coin.:rolleyes:

Not really, anymore. I used to hate to eat at Subway because of all the choices. I thought it was ideal to have just a couple of choices, like three. It's easy to pick one of three things, you just pick it and it's done! But now I can handle more decisions. I'm more of a 'pick something and stick with it' kind of person than one who agonizes over their decisions. I may choose wrong, but **** got done. :yes:

My husband makes most things as difficult as possible lol. I will make a decision then he won't listen and decision ends up void or he keeps offering options and asking after decision, so I sometimes change my decision... then says I change my mind too much. :brood:

As a rule I am very go with the flow and easy to please.

What? What kind of decisions? Advice (preferably solicited) is fine with adult kids, but actually making decisions I don't know. Now by "adult" I mean independent, not just 18.

Well, one big example was back in 1990, when I was already 31 years old, when my parents and I went looking for a condo for me to live in. They were helping me out with the down payment, so I really depended on them. Also, I had ZERO experience with that kind of thing while they had lots of experience, albeit with houses rather than condos. So when we looked at one particular condo in a certain type of building, one of the things that appealed to them was that, compared to others we'd looked at, it was CHEAP. I had reservations about the condo, but they insisted it was perfect for me. I was clueless, so I let them make that decision for me.

I'm still living in the condo, but I've grown to hate it. There are so many things about the condo and the building it's in that I don't like and I wish I had had the backbone to tell my parents that I needed to keep looking, but I didn't. So I let them make the decision to buy the condo. :confused:

My husband makes most things as difficult as possible lol. I will make a decision then he won't listen and decision ends up void or he keeps offering options and asking after decision, so I sometimes change my decision... then says I change my mind too much. :brood:

As a rule I am very go with the flow and easy to please.

Husbands do that, lol.

Well, one big example was back in 1990, when I was already 31 years old, when my parents and I went looking for a condo for me to live in. They were helping me out with the down payment, so I really depended on them. Also, I had ZERO experience with that kind of thing while they had lots of experience, albeit with houses rather than condos. So when we looked at one particular condo in a certain type of building, one of the things that appealed to them was that, compared to others we'd looked at, it was CHEAP. I had reservations about the condo, but they insisted it was perfect for me. I was clueless, so I let them make that decision for me.

I'm still living in the condo, but I've grown to hate it. There are so many things about the condo and the building it's in that I don't like and I wish I had had the backbone to tell my parents that I needed to keep looking, but I didn't. So I let them make the decision to buy the condo. :confused:

Ahh, you let them make the decision. Out of curiosity why are you still living in a condo you hate 23 years later? If it's money then maybe cheap was the right compromise after all? I bought my first house in 1990 too and it was a cheap , 900 sq ft house for $47,000 (all I could afford), needed a lot of work as it had been a rental for a number of years.

I dither about certain issues but then I'm able to make snap decisions for other matters. I have been talking about moving house almost ever since I moved here ten years ago but I am worried about there being another big house price increase or credit crunch so I just look at photos of houses online and don't know which path to take.:rolleyes:

Not really, anymore. I used to hate to eat at Subway because of all the choices. I thought it was ideal to have just a couple of choices, like three. It's easy to pick one of three things, you just pick it and it's done! But now I can handle more decisions. I'm more of a 'pick something and stick with it' kind of person than one who agonizes over their decisions. I may choose wrong, but **** got done. :yes:

Subway is the easiest for me. Veggie delight , no cheese, ALL veggies. While I adore vegan and super veg friendly restaurants, I can never decide what to order when I have more than one choice. I want to try it all! Plus getting an unappetizing disappointing meal is the worst.

Subway is the easiest for me. Veggie delight , no cheese, ALL veggies. While I adore vegan and super veg friendly restaurants, I can never decide what to order when I have more than one choice. I want to try it all! Plus getting an unappetizing disappointing meal is the worst.

Yeah this was before I went vegan. So I certainly helped myself make some choices there! It's the multiple choices that are hard for me too. :yes: