Is boredom the source of all bad things?

Blobbenstein

Reaction score
So God is bored....he creates a few angels to talk to and keep him company. They all sit around chatting, and running out of things to discuss...some angels mess around, this somehow leads to trouble, and some angels get all the blame for all the evil things that are possible(the knowledge of evil). Some are cast out of paradise....along comes various universes and realities, in which life arises, faulty realities with earthquakes, bad comedians etc......the cast out angels mess around with their the lifeforms head, and corrupt them.........etc etc etc....blah blah blah..

A bunch of evil, and all started because of boredom.

If intelligent beings have no problems to solve, I think it just lead to problems, which can then be used to take up time solving.

I think boredom is greatly underestimated as a force for bad...maybe...

anyway I was talking about the origin of bad/evil....

Can you even exercise empathy if someone else isn't in some way suffering?

If at some point, there were no problems anywhere, then would anyone express empathy, or sympathy etc.?

Your thesis is based on the assumption that there's a creator/god.

It's an assumption I don't share.

I don't really understand boredom. The only times I have ever experienced something approaching it is when I've been in a situation where I have to pay enough attention to what's being said to remember what is being said, but the topic doesn't interest me. If I don't have to remember what's being said, even if I am in a situation where I have to be physically present, I can let my mind wander. And in situations where I'm left entirely to my own devices, there is always lots that I want to do/think about.

I think poverty is the source for much of the bad in the world. People aren't slinging dope and robbing liquor stores because they're bored, but because there aren't many opportunities in low-income neighborhoods. As another example, poachers don't exist because they are bored, but because these African countries have been exploited for its valuable natural resources.

well huge industries exist to keep people from feeling bored, like the movie industry, the music industry...books etc...food....holidays abroad.
If boredom wasn't a problem, people could just sit on their sofas and stare out of the window, and it would sure put less of a strain on the environment.

A lot of the industrialised world is overweight......boredom leads to diabetes.

Last edited:
I don't think that people were more bored before the advent of the movie, TV, music and book industries; quite possibly the contrary. If anything, the ready accessibility of those forms of entertainment has decreased many people's ability to keep themselves from being bored, because they expect their "entertainment" to be spoon fed to them.

I also don't agree with your theory that boredom leads to diabetes.

Rapists, gang rapists, serial killers... I don't believe crimes like that are to do with boredom, or poverty for that matter.

We have a saying in Norwegian: "lediggang er roten til alt ondt" which is similar to the English "idle hands are the devil's workshop", but without any religious references. Personally, I think it's more about certain types of frustration, which can more easily find an outlet when you're bored. For some people that can be rather anti-social activities. But also boredom combined with unhappiness with one's personal circumstances can be a bad mix.

"idle hands are the devil's workshop"

if there was a garden of Eden then I think there would have been much idleness.

If there were only angels, like the angel of light, then what was there to do?

do you not think that some people overeat due to boredom? I know I do. If I have something to do I can go without eating for hours.

I don't think it's that simple. Yes, quite a few of us overeat from emotional reasons, but IMO, those emotional reasons are more complex than boredom. If simple boredom is causing someone to overeat, why not instead clean out a closet, take a walk, read a book, teach oneself a new skill using the internet, or do any one of the hundreds of things one can do spontaneously, all of which are more diverting than the repetitive action of picking up food, putting it into one's mouth, chewing and swallowing?

I think where "boredom" comes into it is that it's certainly easier to not focus on one's compulsion to eat, or depression, anxiety, grief, addiction, or whatever other emotions/thoughts/personal demons one wants to avoid if one is busy doing something that occupies one's mind.

"idle hands are the devil's workshop"

if there was a garden of Eden then I think there would have been much idleness.

If there were only angels, like the angel of light, then what was there to do?

There are so many constructive things to do that using boredom as an excuse for being destructive is just a huge cop out.

Why would angels be any more prone to idleness than demons? Why would the Garden of Eden or heaven be more a place of idleness and boredom than hell is?

Well some of the angels became demons....that is what they are supposed to have started as, I thought.

I'm just saying that if there are no problems, then what is there to really do? If God can just give you anything, what is there to make, for example?

and one is dealing with eternity....eternity of learning to knit, or learn some other skill...?

and one is dealing with eternity....eternity of learning to knit, or learn some other skill...?

There are many, many skills to learn, enough to fill many lifetimes.

If we're speaking of eternity, then we're also speaking of endless universe(s). How could anyone ever run out of things to see, explore, learn?