News Is Being Vegan Stylish or Stigmatizing?

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I actually haven't finished reading this yet but I thought maybe some of you might like to read and/or comment on it.

If nothing else it is just another example of the press talking about veganism
Which I think is a good thing.

Reactions: Emma JC
Thanks, Lou.
I guess one comment I have is that I tire of nonveg*ns assuming that people go vegan, plant-based or what have you for mainly health reasons. I don't eat a lot of fast food because it's not vegan, not necessarily because it's unhealthy (though that is a reason, too, even though I get a craving for fast-food fries every now and again). I guess the for-the-animals vegans (like me!) need to speak up more about their reasons to help dispel that assumption. :-D

I do agree that the media's talking about veganism is a good thing.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
It really doesn't say anything! But I do agree I love seeing plant based/veganism being publicized.
What does bother me is the mixing of the two. Many many people have chosen plant based for their own health, maybe alluding to the environment, who completely and loudly will protest those who advocate for animals, and have no trouble using products that involve animal testing, leather, or animal products in general. They often insist on calling themselves 'vegan', just not the 'crazy' kind. ( as in vegans)

Reactions: PTree15 and Sax
however they get there is fine with me...

Emma JC
I'm fine with people just being reductionists--it's this trend of plant based for health that is so dismissive and contemptious of vegans they'd rather side with organic meat and dairy than accept any kind of processed vegan foods. I was on a facebook plant based forum and if anyone posted something about Beyond meat or anything similar it got tons of trash talk and hate towards those vegans who only care about animals and eat crap

however they get there is fine with me...

Emma JC

I agree. Many people cannot/will not even see the arguments (ie: reasons) for ditching extra-dietary animal products until they drop the dietary ones. I don't want to appear to putting words into your post, but I've never heard of a person who is staunchly against something like leather for moral reasons but has no problems eating ham.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
I'm fine with people just being reductionists--it's this trend of plant based for health that is so dismissive and contemptious of vegans they'd rather side with organic meat and dairy than accept any kind of processed vegan foods. I was on a facebook plant based forum and if anyone posted something about Beyond meat or anything similar it got tons of trash talk and hate towards those vegans who only care about animals and eat crap

There is at least one person on this forum (note I am not referring to you) who's hatred of the lack of distinction is so great, and their need to define themselves out of it equally as great, that they have gone so far as to predict with glee the point where a person will go back to eating animal products. In other words, they'd rather one more person fail in abstaining just so they can justify their hatred of the lack of distinction. The irony and true lack of compassion is mind blowing, imho.

There is at least one person on this forum (note I am not referring to you) who's hatred of the lack of distinction is so great, and their need to define themselves out of it equally as great, that they have gone so far as to predict with glee the point where a person will go back to eating animal products. In other words, they'd rather one more person fail in abstaining just so they can justify their hatred of the lack of distinction. The irony and true lack of compassion is mind blowing, imho.
I've known people who have started on strict wfpb diets for their own health, one was a coworker with severe heart disease and type 2 diabetes. He followed Dr Esselstyns diet to the letter and had transformed his health within a year. He started with the attitude that animals were our natural food, and had no problems using animals, it even correlated with his Christian beliefs. As he became aware of how much better off he was in every way without animal products he realized that meat really is murder. He became vegan as his eyes were opened.
I was just so shocked that so many that were promoting plant based diets would have such animosity towards those who refused animal products out of ethics. I hope it's more a facebook thing!
I have read amazon cook book reviews by people so angry that a vegan cookbook would use things like oil sugar or anything processed

Reactions: Nekodaiden
Anecdotally, being vegetarian or vegan is becoming hip in the upper echelons of society.

Majority of rich(er) peoples charity dinners now offer a vegan option. At a Bird of Prey Society dinner, a guy sitting next to me said "I support wild predators, but I am not one myself". Over the last 4-5 years, multiple high-end Vegan restaurants (dinner for two $200-$300) have opened in the NYC and London. Having eaten at a few of those places, I have to say it's worth the money.

Then, across both finance and tech, nobody is surprised anymore when I mention my food preferences. It's was very different a few years ago and was a veritable disaster when I just started working in finance. I have the most hilarious stories about being a vegetarian on Wall Street.

Finally and most interestingly, there is a sudden deluge of vegetarians and vegans coming out of the closet. One very senior banker whom I've known for years recently confessed that he's been vegetarian since he was a teenager. Only now he felt comfortable telling his colleagues and clients. In fact, another person I know, admitted to being gay decades before he explained to his coworkers that he's vegan.

I've known people who have started on strict wfpb diets for their own health, one was a coworker with severe heart disease and type 2 diabetes. He followed Dr Esselstyns diet to the letter and had transformed his health within a year. He started with the attitude that animals were our natural food, and had no problems using animals, it even correlated with his Christian beliefs. As he became aware of how much better off he was in every way without animal products he realized that meat really is murder. He became vegan as his eyes were opened.
I was just so shocked that so many that were promoting plant based diets would have such animosity towards those who refused animal products out of ethics. I hope it's more a facebook thing!
I have read amazon cook book reviews by people so angry that a vegan cookbook would use things like oil sugar or anything processed

You have obviously had a bad experience or two and I would ask you to consider not lumping all WFPBers into the same category. I would not be here if it weren't for them and I have found all of the ones I have exposure to are kind and considerate and caring people. They care about their health (and the health of others), they care about the animals and about the planet.

No matter what way you cut it, processed foods, oils and added salts and sugars are not good for ideal health and I tend to turn away from recipes that I see/read that use oil as a base. Dr Barnard's latest book addresses some of these issues in a very clear and understandable way.

As you showed in your own example, a person who comes to this for their health is then more open to understanding the plight of the animals and the planet so as I said however they get there is fine with me and I would suggest that you avoid toxic environments that upset you so much. I don't Facebook so I don't see that kind of nastiness. This is my only social media hangout and it is a loving and supportive place.

Emma JC

• Agree
Reactions: Sax