Is a male nurse worth more than a female one?

That leaves a $5,148 salary gap that effectively discriminates against women, who make up the vast majority of the nursing workforce, according to a study published Tuesday in the Journal of the American Medical Assn.

Is a male nurse worth $5,148 more than a female nurse? - LA Times

The pay gap between women and men is alive and well in the U.S.
We female nurses were and are glad when men began taking up nursing as a career because our salaries went up. I can't access your link on my phone now, but am interested in it. One thing I have noticed is that more of the male RNs tend to go toward the higher paying nursing jobs like trauma, ER, helicopter transport, anesthetist, etc.

We female nurses were and are glad when men began taking up nursing as a career because our salaries went up. I can't access your link on my phone now, but am interested in it. One thing I have noticed is that more of the male RNs tend to go toward the higher paying nursing jobs like trauma, ER, helicopter transport, anesthetist, etc.

The $5,148 figure is adjusted for specialization, experience, etc. It turns out that in certain specialized areas (such as anesthetists, for example), the wage gap is considerably greater than it is generally.

ETA: The wage gap also appears to have held pretty constant during the last quarter of a century.

Wage gaps are everywhere, it is quite sad.
My dad became a nurse in like '56. He had a specialty in surgery. I just asked my mom about that because I didn't remember. He was assistant chief nurse at a VA hospital for 13 years.

Reactions: ledboots
Wage gaps are everywhere, it is quite sad.
My dad became a nurse in like '56. He had a specialty in surgery. I just asked my mom about that because I didn't remember. He was assistant chief nurse at a VA hospital for 13 years.

From the article:
"Overall, women in America now make 78.8% as much as men, according to data released last week by the U.S. Census Bureau.

That makes nurses look good by comparison. For every dollar earned by a male registered nurse in 2013, a female RN earned 91.1 cents, the 2013 census report says."

The author is affiliated with the neoconservative American Enterprise Institute. Out of curiosity, I wiki-ed their board and high ranking members. I see one female name at a cursory glance. Lol. Possibly two, as "Tully" could be either. Wonder how many are white and rich.
--------'
American Enterprise Institute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Officers and trustees

AEI's officers are Arthur C. Brooks, president; David Gerson, executive vice president; Jason Bertsch, senior vice president for development; and Danielle Pletka, senior vice president for foreign and defense policy studies.[22]

Its board is chaired by Tully Friedman. Current notable trustees include Arthur C. Brooks, Gordon Binder, former managing director and CEO of Amgen; former vice president Dick Cheney; Daniel A. D'Aniello, cofounder of The Carlyle Group; John V. Faraci, chairman and CEO of International Paper; Harlan Crow, chairman and CEO of Crow Holdings, the Trammell Crow family's investment company; Christopher Galvin, former CEO and chairman of Motorola; Raymond Gilmartin, retired chairman and CEO of Merck & Co.; Harvey Golub, retired chairman and CEO of the American Express Company; Bruce Kovner, chairman of Caxton Alternative Associates (and a former chairman of AEI); and Edward B. Rust Jr., chairman and CEO of State Farm (and also a former AEI chairman).[22]

AEI has a Council of Academic Advisers, chaired by George L. Priest, which includes Eliot A. Cohen, Martin Feldstein, R. Glenn Hubbard, Sam Peltzman, John L. Palmer, Jeremy A. Rabkin, and Richard J. Zeckhauser.[22]"."

Reactions: ledboots
I wrote a paper on the wage gap in college, and even deniers will admit to one if pressed.

Numbers can be manipulated to tell the story you want to tell. Without understanding specifically how incomes were adjusted for age, work experience, etc, you have to take it on faith that reasonable methods were used.

For example, when I audit staffing models, one of the factors I use in determining if a manager has too many people is the attrition rate. The higher the attrition, the more staff that's needed to cover scheduling gaps. Do I use the average attrition rate for the past quarter, the past year a 12 month rolling average? Do I use the national average for the industry, the company or just that department.

The answer is I use whatever rate gets me the lowest staffing number. It's not called creative accounting for nothing...

Also, couldn't your assertion that people interested in closing the wage gap must be manipulating the numbers be applied to the gap deniers, as well?

Who is more likely to manipulate numbers in their favor, those interested in justice and equality, or those interested in maintaining the status quo?

Is the Journal of the American Medical Association a liberal rag that is interested in pushing a feminist agenda?

I somehow doubt it.

Women clearly lose as far as wages go, but which sex has died in war far more frequently than the other? In most ways women have had a harder life, but it can go the other way once in a while.

Also, a woman does make more money than a man, on average, but only if the woman is white and the man is not.

Last edited: