Is a Healthy Diet Also Better For The Planet? Most Of The Time, Yes

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Nice little article from NPR.
I think it might be worth pointing out the although Sugar Sweetened Beverages (SSBs) aren't the bad for the environment they aren't that good for us. Hence the most of the time answer.

The article was based on a report. I didn't read it but i found a nice image.

F3.large.jpg

And here is the report if you want to take a look.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 10.55.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 10.55.08 AM.png
    556.2 KB · Views: 0
Yeah eggs are the most sustainable non-vegan food, I've been saying this for years. It's probably also the least cruel when the chickens are pasture raised or backyard instead of factory farmed. I dated a guy for a while who basically had pet chickens whom he fed all kinds of stuff, including putting the shells back after eating the egg. They were not abused in any way. Unfortunately he did eat meat occasionally when he went out, which wasn't often, he ate a lot of plant based staples.

In the United States in some geographic locations dairy is more sustainable than this general graphic shows, hence studies that show lacto-vegetarianism being almost as sustainable as veganism, and in some cases more sustainable.

This graphic shows eggs as being a tiny bit more sustainable than legumes so it probably won't help veganism, it will help vegetarianism though.

Also it's going to continue the "eats chicken and fish because better than red meat for environment" trend. Which is unfortunate.

Reactions: FlandersOD and Lou