Iron deficiency

hermy

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello

I have a 14 year-old teenager. I have shared custody so she spends one week with her dad and one week with me. I don’t ask her to eat vegan but in the evening I make a vegan meal and sometimes she eats eggs and diary with it. At school she eats meat and also at her dad’s. We discovered today that she has an iron deficiency (which in common at her age) and the doctor is blaming me because I’m vegan. Now my daughter is also angry at me. I love my child more than anything and I feel so guilty. I can’t stop crying. Has anybody ever experienced something similar? Thanks

Millions of Americans are iron deficient. Most of them aren't vegan. What does your doctor say to his non-vegan anemic patients? Eat MORE meat?

You and your vegan dinners are not to blame.

I was borderline anemic for years BEFORE I was vegan. I used to give blood regularly and they test it for iron and I was always borderline.

A lot of multis contain iron. You can buy a 3 month supply of vitamins for under $10. ( i like DEVA)

Good plant sources of iron include lentils, chickpeas, beans, tofu, cashew nuts, chia seeds, ground linseed, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, kale, dried apricots and figs, raisins, quinoa and fortified breakfast cereal.​

There are lots of factors that affect the amount of iron your body can absorb from your diet. The most important factor is your body’s need for iron: more is absorbed when your body is short of iron, and less is absorbed when your stores are full. Tea, coffee and some substances in plant foods may make it difficult for your body to absorb iron. On the other hand, vitamin C increases iron absorption. Good sources of vitamin C include pepper, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, kiwifruit, oranges, strawberries, pineapple, grapefruit and orange juice.​

If she likes dried apricots buy them and keep them on the kitchen counter. and pack some for her in her lunches.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and 1956
Hello

I have a 14 year-old teenager. I have shared custody so she spends one week with her dad and one week with me. I don’t ask her to eat vegan but in the evening I make a vegan meal and sometimes she eats eggs and diary with it. At school she eats meat and also at her dad’s. We discovered today that she has an iron deficiency (which in common at her age) and the doctor is blaming me because I’m vegan. Now my daughter is also angry at me. I love my child more than anything and I feel so guilty. I can’t stop crying. Has anybody ever experienced something similar? Thanks

welcome to the forum and so sorry for your situation

25% of the population is iron deficient and 25% of the world is not vegan so the two are not necessarily related

one of the causes of iron deficiency is a heavier blood flow during menstruation - have you had that discussion with her and her doctor? supplementing is not unusual and taking Vitamin C to help absorption of is also recommended

btw the doctor sounds like a jerk! and an uninformed one at that

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Agree
Reactions: 1956 and Lou
25% of the population is iron deficient and 25% of the world is not vegan so the two are not necessarily related
Here in America, it's only 10 or 15%. but your point is still valid.

The other thing is that Anemia is not entirely diet-related. Some people just don't absorb iron as well as others. (i think I was one of those). also, some foods inhibit the absorption of iron. Most notable calcium and coffee.

So if you take an iron-containing multi, take it with OJ and not with milk or coffee.

Too much iron can be toxic. so if you do choose a supplement you need to be careful. Fortunately, the body can excrete iron. If your stools turn black and hard you are ingesting too much iron.

Hello

The American Academy of Pediatrics has stated that properly-planned vegetarian/vegan diets are a healthy option for children: Plant-Based Diets: Are They Good for Kids?

Nutritional deficiencies, like iron anemia, can be corrected by making small dietary adjustments, and/or by including supplements. Your pediatrician can refer you to a Registered Dietitian who can provide straightforward guidance.

Luckily iron is very, very easy to supplement. And as someone else mentioned, better absorbed with vitamin C.
Also when my sis had anemia as a toddler my mom was advised to limit or eliminate cow's milk for her. I was curious when I found that out, so I googled and found this

which in part supports that advice.

"In infants, the introduction of cow's milk in the first year of life is the greatest dietary risk factor for the development of iron deficiency and iron deficiency anemia.1820 Cow's milk is low in iron, and its iron is poorly absorbed.21 In addition, it decreases the absorption of iron from other dietary sources.21 Therefore, the strict avoidance of cow's milk in the first 12 months of life is essential in preventing iron deficiency anemia."

Last edited:
Reactions: David3 and Emma JC
The American Academy of Pediatrics makes this positive statement regarding veg diets:

"A plant-based diet that includes eggs and dairy ensures your child will have the necessary nutrients for healthy growth. An egg- and dairy-free vegan diet can also be healthy and complete, if sources of B12, calcium, zinc, vitamin D and iron are maximized."

Link: Plant-Based Diets: Are They Good for Kids?