Handhelds iPhone

Spang

Foot Fetisher
Reaction score
Should I get an iPhone 4 for free, an iPhone 4s for $99.99, an iPhone 5 for $199.99, or wait for the 5s/6 to be released?

I currently have a BlackBerry that I've had for 6 years.

If you wait for the 5s to be released, the price of the 5 (and 4s) will drop. I believe current estimates put that around September-ish. I would suggest waiting until then (if your current phone will last), then going to iPhone 5, which should then drop to the $99 price slot.

I currently have the 4s, and it's a great phone. I am planning to upgrade to 5s when it comes out. I think iOS 7 will have some features not supported by the 4s. (Maybe. I could be wrong about that, idk now.)

I would not take the 4 for free...unless finances are really tight. I have the 4s and I can't imagine needing anything else from a phone at this point. It is more than adequate for what I need.

According to the Sprint website, I can keep my plan if I upgrade to a 4s. My current plan is a special plan where I get 500 anytime minutes and unlimited everything else for $40, so I really want to keep the plan.

If you wait for the 5s to be released, the price of the 5 (and 4s) will drop. I believe current estimates put that around September-ish. I would suggest waiting until then (if your current phone will last), then going to iPhone 5, which should then drop to the $99 price slot.

I think I'll do this. If the iPhone 5 isn't compatible with my plan at that time, the 4s should still be compatible and also free.

According to the Sprint website, I can keep my plan if I upgrade to a 4s. My current plan is a special plan where I get 500 anytime minutes and unlimited everything else for $40, so I really want to keep the plan.

I think I'll do this. If the iPhone 5 isn't compatible with my plan at that time, the 4s should still be compatible and also free.
My adult daughter just got the 4s last month from Sprint for $99 on an upgrade, and she's very happy with it. They waived the $35 line fee, and there were no hidden mail in rebates, unlike some of the android models.

According to this CNN article, it is rumored that Apple will discontinue production of older models when the new iPhone is released next month, replacing them with a more affordable version of the iPhone for $99, the 5C.

It'll be interesting to see what an affordable iPhone looks like.

It'll be interesting to see what an affordable iPhone looks like.

Same size as iPhone 5, possibly slightly lower specs, plastic rear shell available in several colors.
Ditching the 4/4s models will make all their phones have the same form factor, which will reduce market fragmentation. Cheaper to produce and easier for app devs.

The new iPhones will be announced on September 10.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/10/apple-to-unveil-next-generation-iphone-on-september-10/

I think I'd rather have an iPhone 5 before they sell out, than an iPhone designed specifically to be more affordable.

The takeaway I've gotten from following the rumors is that the iPhone 5 will stay in the lineup; the 4/4s will be the ones to go. (Normally, the 4 would drop out, 4s and 5 would both move down a price slot. They could change it this time, I guess.)

Anyway it should be announced on Sept 10 and if the iPhone 5 is being cut, you'll probably have a week to still get one.

Reactions: Spang
My 4s has become terribly sluggish and sometimes unresponsive, over the past two weeks. Super annoying.
I could probably fix it with a factory reset, then load everything back on in a clean install, but I don't know if that's worth my time so close to launch of the new model. Idk, might try it this weekend.

My husband is taking the 20th off work (for reasons completely unrelated to iPhone), so I will be staying up on the 13th to preorder. Husband will be home to accept delivery and I'll have it when I get home.
Assuming the release schedule follows past trends, of course.

According to an article I read at work, Apple will take all the old iPhones off the shelves when they release the 5s and 5c in September.

Possibly. If they do that, it will be a new strategy, but they might do it. Is that supposed to apply to only the Apple store (which I could totally see them doing), or also all carriers? There will still be ten days between the announcement and the release of the new models, for anyone who would want to get the 5.

So far, it's not certain if the 5c is for the domestic market or just for Asia.

Is that supposed to apply to only the Apple store (which I could totally see them doing), or also all carriers?
I reread the article (another CNN joint, because Internet access at work is very limited - it's CNN or Fox News), and it could just be a rumor, but it didn't mention specifics.

The iPhone has never been a particularly cheap device to manufacture, but last year's iPhone 5 was the most expensive, resource-intensive device to produce yet. That's why it makes sense for Apple to take the iPhone 5 completely off store shelves when it unveils the new flagship iPhone 5S (or whatever it will be called). The iPhone 5C can slip in as the No. 2 phone in Apple's product hierarchy.

Last edited:
I reread the article (another CNN joint, because Internet access at work is very limited - it's CNN or Fox News), and it could just be a rumor, but it didn't mention specifics.

Tbh, until the announcement is made, everything is rumor and speculation.

I personally think the 4s will get the axe, but they'll keep the 5. There are currently three models available, with one as a "free" option. To keep a "free" option, which pulls people in, they'll have to keep offering three models. Getting rid of the 4s will mean all models have the same form factor, which reduces segmentation in manufacturing and the app environment.

This is assuming 5c is offered here. iPhone still has a strong market share here, but they're losing in Asia because of the lack of lower-priced models.

There have been photos leaked showing two additional colors for the 5s line (graphite and champagne). Again, champagne, which is gold-ish, would be an excellent addition in Asia where gold is a lucky color. They may well offer all colors in the US, which would be a lot of stock for stores to carry, assuming all colors were offered in all storage sizes and carriers.

But they haven't even officially announced the announcement yet.

(What's known is that Apple will be holding some as-yet-unspecified event on Sept 10, and Apple employees have vacation blackouts from Sept 15-28.)

You should probably get a Droid. It won't be outdated in 6 months.

After four years of iPhone, I'm too heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem to want to leave. Plus, my phone contract only offers full upgrade every two years. Doesn't matter what phone I get, or if its obsolete in six months or nine months, I'll be keeping it the full two years.

Reactions: KLS52
According to this CNN article, it is rumored that Apple will discontinue production of older models when the new iPhone is released next month, replacing them with a more affordable version of the iPhone for $99, the 5C.

Leaks from Vodafone (in Germany) and Telus (in Canada) both seem to indicate that the 4s and higher end (32/64gm) 5 models will be discontinued, but the 16gb 5 will still be available. So the lineup will be 5s, 5c, 16gb 5.

I read a cnn article (can't quote it for some phone reason) that Apple is investigating the idea of offering the option of larger screens for its phones.

I like the big screen on my samsung, having old eyes and all. :)