Introduction post?

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
  2. Other
Greetings good vegan people. Im Björn from Iceland and I have recently started my vegan journey after a while of thought. My first step towards a more self sustainable life is stopping to eat mammals from the meat industry, cows, horses, lambs, pigs etc. Goal for this year is to go full pescatarian before 2019. My reasons are first and foremost enviromentalistic but morality and animal wellfare also play an important role. I used to be quite a narrow minded conservative who looked at vegans as weak people but after doing research and getting to know vegan people I have entierly changed my mind to the better. I still as today eat chicken, dairy products, eggs, fish and omnivores with a plentyfull stock I hunt myself in nature. I was wondering what kind of classification I should give myself as for now. I have my profile set to newby-vegan but Im not sure thats appropriate. Any suggestions?

Hi Bjorn :)
interesting (but complicated) diet/philosophy/lifestyle.
for me, there are 2 main issues with non-vegan diet - the killing involved & the mass-production of meat etc.
I have no respect for regular meat-eaters because they totally ignore the suffering of animals before they're killed & not willing to kill animals themselves either. However someone like yourself deserves much credit.
I have no suggestions whatsoever as to how to describe your philosophy, though!

Do you speak English in Iceland then?

Hello Bjorn! Sorry, my computer can't type your name correctly!

I don't think you owe anyone an explanation/ label; you can tell people that you're changing your diet in a way that supports a sustainable world...or something like that, I'm also a brand-new vegan! Congrats on your decision and good luck!

Suggestions? Yeah, speed up your timeline!

Obviously it's personal, and it's better to go slow and make it a lasting change than to try to do it all at once and then give up. But going vegan isn't extremely difficult, and you might find your dietary changes gaining momentum...go with it. If you feel ready to go full pescatarian, or vegetarian, or vegan, just go for it even if you've scheduled another month of animal products.

While I was transitioning and wasn't comfortable labeling myself vegan I'd just say "I'm not eating meat or dairy right now" or "I'm trying a plant based diet".

Reactions: Emma JC
"I'm n
Suggestions? Yeah, speed up your timeline!

Obviously it's personal, and it's better to go slow and make it a lasting change than to try to do it all at once and then give up. But going vegan isn't extremely difficult, and you might find your dietary changes gaining momentum...go with it. If you feel ready to go full pescatarian, or vegetarian, or vegan, just go for it even if you've scheduled another month of animal products.

While I was transitioning and wasn't comfortable labeling myself vegan I'd just say "I'm not eating meat or dairy right now" or "I'm trying a plant based diet".

that's a good way of putting it. i may well start using it.