Interesting Electric mobility concept: Gogoro scooter

Andy_T

Little green mod
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi,

just saw a very interesting article on the Verge about Taiwan's new upcoming electric mobility concept, the Gogoro scooter:

I never wanted a scooter until I met the Gogoro | The Verge

Main features of the concept (apart from, like every scooter manufacturer before, claiming that the scooter itself is faster and handles better than any other scooter before) is that they are offering a battery recharge and swap network. That just might redefine personal mobility.

From the article:

The first time I, and most of the rest of the world, heard about Gogoro was at CES this January. It was a triumphant debut for a company formed by a splinter group of former HTC designers and engineers that had been operating in stealth mode for four years. The Gogoro Smartscooter earned The Verge’s Best in Show award and was universally hailed for its ambitious, potentially revolutionary vision for fast battery swaps and independence from the dreaded long recharge times. As exciting as it was to read about those things, though, it wasn’t until I saw the Gogoro in person that I properly understood its appeal.

vs06-04_0354cxs.0.png

Everything about this scooter has been thought out. Every design decision feels right. The roundedness of the Gogoro gives it a friendly appearance, but it also helps it accommodate a full-size helmet alongside the two batteries in the storage compartment under its seat. A Bluetooth dongle acts as the key to unlocking the scooter and there is, of course, a big "GO" button in the middle to get you up and running. All the little design touches, like the small winglets that pop out on the sides for a passenger to step on to, just add charm and humanity to the Gogoro.

Best regards,
Andy

You're going to be using up a lot more electricity if you make a big switch to all of the new electric items that are coming out. I understand the appeal, but it has its flaws.

RF, true, but comparing the efficiency of an electric motor (75% to 95%, depending on type) to that of a gasoline engine (around 30 %) means that electricity is a preferable means to power vehicles, even considering losses in transmission and storage.

Ah, I would love to go to Paris or Berlin (hmm, maybe I can go to one of these places soon) to try out those scooters that are now available for rent!

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/05/1...ing-service-start-paris-600-gogoro-escooters/

Bosch subsidiary "coup" offers 1000 scooters in Berlin and 600 in Paris, that can be found and hired via an app on your smartphone. Available to everybody over 21 years old with a valid driving license.

However, due to road legality / insurance reasons, all these scooters are limited to a top speed of 45 kph, so they can be classified as scooters and do not require a motorcycle license...

Reactions: Blues