Dovahkitty99

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello Everyone!
so I've been vegetarian for over a year and vegan for 3 months. I am taking a gap year to go travelling and my grandfather (aged 90) wants to pass on his LEATHER suitcase that he has had his whole life, it's been taken all around the world and is very attractive/vintage. Is it wrong (as a vegan) to accept it, use it or even keep it as a sentiment?
please help!! thank you!

I think that it is not wrong. I think it's fine to accept it.

Your only problem is that if you use it while travelling it will look strange you telling people you are vegan while holding a leather suitcase, and if you just leave it in the house he might be offended you didn't think it was worth taking. If you accept it, you could say that you are going backpacking for so long, with your bag being thrown on the top of buses and so on, that it would surely be damaged, and you couldn't bear that, but you could still accept it and leave it at home.

I think that it is not wrong. I think it's fine to accept it.

Your only problem is that if you use it while travelling it will look strange you telling people you are vegan while holding a leather suitcase, and if you just leave it in the house he might be offended you didn't think it was worth taking. If you accept it, you could say that you are going backpacking for so long, with your bag being thrown on the top of buses and so on, that it would surely be damaged, and you couldn't bear that, but you could still accept it and leave it at home.
thank you this really helped !!!! I diddnt want to feel bad about taking it because I know how much history it has!!! I think that in taking it I am in a way honoring it as it won't end up on a skip somewhere. thank you!

Of course you must accept the suitcase. It also comes from a time when animals didn't suffer in the same way they do now. It is the impact of technology upon the domestic animals that causes them so much agony. That, and the increased population that is demanding so much of them, is creating the appalling treatment and dangers of consuming them. Grandad's suitcase will come from a different era. We can't change the past, just make sure we change the future.:)