Indoor Cats And Fleas/Worms

KLS52

Love Is A Verb
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
[emoji45] So, unbeknownst to me, until now, your indoor cat can actually contract fleas and, hence, tapeworms. Pretty sure this is the case with one of my kitties. I think it's Joon. Waiting for her to pass a sample so I can have it confirmed.

I noticed worms in one of the litter box "deposits" when I was cleaning it out over the weekend. I was leaving for my daughter's so I called the emergency veterinarian first and was assured it could wait until today.

Based on the vets description it most likely is a tapeworm. This is preferable to roundworms because just the affected cat needs to be treated as opposed to all four if it was roundworm.

Tapeworm is transmitted through fleas. Roundworm can be transmitted through mice. I did just do a flea treatment on all four because I found a flea on one of them. I was surprised, thinking indoor cats could not get fleas but apparently fleas can hitch a ride on us and we can bring them into the house.

Oh happy day. But I'm glad it is a fairly simple treatment process and not something more serious. I will definitely be more vigilant with flea treatment from now on, especially during the warmer months.

So just something for you cat owners to be aware of in case you weren't already.

[emoji76]

Yes, two of my cats have a flea allergy so I still put treatment on all of them every month even though they stay in now.

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52
When my cats were indoor/outdoor years ago they ended up with tapeworms. I only noticed one of them having the worms, but treated all of them to be safe. Once you see the little worm segment wiggling out of their butt and landing on your bed, you don't take any chances. :p

OMG...I'm kind of freaking out now!
Ben just pooped and it's definitely him. I think at least one more has it, too. Of course, he waited till the vet was closed so I have to wait till morning now.

Poor kitties :(

I knew indoor cats can still get them - it's easy enough to bring fleas into the home on clothing etc. My two haven't had fleas since living with me, but Pixel has had worms, so I do a spot-on treatment and a worming tablet a couple of times a year to be safe.

Well, we just confirmed Stella, now too. [emoji45] The vet made it sound like it wouldn't spread from one to the other but that's apparently not true. I did take some photos and a video, lol, in case the samples don't survive overnight. I want to make sure I get them diagnosed properly and in treatment right away!

You can get the medication over the counter. I bought it on the internet where it was half the price.

Thanks for the tip but I think I am too nervous to not go through my vet. I think they need a prescription for the meds.

"Praziquantel is the active ingredient in deworming medications for tapeworms. The function of praziquantel is to act on the system of the tapeworm so that it will dislocate from the wall of the intestines and is then passed into the feces. You may or my not see dead tapeworms in your cats stool. Praziquantel is available in a combination with other drugs for the treatment of a wide range of internal parasites. These deworming medications are prescription only and are available at your veterinarians office.
Droncit - Droncit is available in a tablet form and as an injection. The active ingredient is praziquantel and is used for the removal of tapeworms.
Drontal - Drontal is available only as a tablet form. The active ingredients are pyrantel pamaote and praziquantel. This medication is used for the removal of heartworms, roundworms and certain tapeworms.
Drontal Plus - Drontal Plus is available in a tablet form. The active ingredients are pyrantel pamaote, febantel and praziquantel and is used for the removal of heartworms, roundworms, whipworms and certain tapeworms.
Profender - Profender is a topical deworming medication that is applied between your cats shoulder blades. The active ingredients are emodepside and praziquantel. This is used for the removal of heartworms, roundworms, whipworms and certain tapeworms.
Milbemax - Milbemax is available in a tablet form. The active ingredient is milbemycin and praziquantel. This drug is used in the removal of heartworm, roundworm, whipworm and certain tapeworms."

I don't blame you, I'm nervous giving them meds too, even things prescribed by the vet.

Here you can get them over the counter at pet stores like Petco or Petsmart, but it's cheaper through the online pet supply companies.

I feel a little guilty...I locked them out of the bedroom last night. I'm starting to feel a little squeamish about the "wiggling out of their butt and landing on your bed" scenario, lol. I even changed all the bed linens. Gah! I hate this even though I know it's not a big deal. It's just that they are so much "in your face" kind of kitties which I normally love about them.

I feel a little guilty...I locked them out of the bedroom last night. I'm starting to feel a little squeamish about the "wiggling out of their butt and landing on your bed" scenario, lol. I even changed all the bed linens. Gah! I hate this even though I know it's not a big deal. It's just that they are so much "in your face" kind of kitties which I normally love about them.

My fur baby wouldn't sleep in another room and would scratch the door all night long. However, I know what you
mean about the squiggly things…. I don't like the thought neither.

I totally freaked out when I saw it. They had been sleeping in bed with me and all I could think about was that I had probably laid on those worms. :yuck:

Not to totally freak anyone out, but are they the same kind of tapeworms that people can get?...
Don't worry, I'm already freaked out. I think so. But it supposedly doesn't affect them the way it affects humans as far as weight loss goes. You can be sure I will be very vigilant in keeping an eye on myself and family. We are fairly clean people, lol, but at the same time, my cats are all over me all the time. And yes, I kiss them...not on the mouth but I'm not sure that matters. [emoji45] They have had their medication and I'm going to hope for the best, at this point, but will not be taking anything for granted.

Reactions: ledboots
I can't get the meds into Ben. :( I may actually have to call the vet and bring him in to have them do it. He's such a fussy eater to begin with. He loves treats, and I was able to get 1/4 of the pill in him, but then he wised up to it and refused the rest. Tuna didn't work, either. I may try to get son to hold him and try to just "pill" him but it's going to be torture...for me, more so than him, lol.

Do you have any Daiya? I can sometimes melt the cheddar shreds and hide the pill in a small ball of it and get my cats to take it that way if it's small enough.

Do you have any Daiya? I can sometimes melt the cheddar shreds and hide the pill in a small ball of it and get my cats to take it that way if it's small enough.
I do...I can certainly try but I'm not very hopeful. If it was any of the cats other than Ben I'd stand a chance. I'm going to give it a go when I get home. Thanks!

Well, we just confirmed Stella, now too. [emoji45] The vet made it sound like it wouldn't spread from one to the other but that's apparently not true. I did take some photos and a video, lol, in case the samples don't survive overnight. I want to make sure I get them diagnosed properly and in treatment right away!

Tapeworms can pass from dog to dog but then dogs are gross and I won't go into the explanation of how it passes. Not sure if your cats could pass it by using the same litterbox and then ingesting eggs when they lick their feet? Rx wormer from the vet will kill them whether it's tapeworms or roundworms though. The stuff from the vet is usually stronger. Sometimes with OTC wormer it takes more treatments.

We are all good here...worms were gone within 24 hours of taking medication. Yay!

I think we have another gross problem with Stella, though, so I'm taking her in at 11 this morning.

I've heard some dogs have issues with their anal glands and need to have them expressed. Apparently, cats can, also, only it's not as common. I think Stella is the exception to the rule. Lucky me! At least, I hope that's all it is.[\spoiler]