News Indiana couple have opened their own rodent sanctuary

Good for them.

Here's my latest rescue. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should let him go because it's cold out. I don't know if he was born in my basement or if he just came in to get out of the cold. He's so cute, though. I want to keep him but I don't know if he's a field/house mouse or a deer mouse. I'm finding pictures of both and some look almost identical. I'm still scared of the hantavirus.

I've already researched it from the last mouse issue that we had and I know it's really bad. Like no cure bad. :cry:

Would he be able to survive outside, whatever type of mouse he is? And yeah- it can be hard to tell the different species of mouse apart because they do look alike.

If you don't want to keep him and would rather not wait for spring, is there a spot you could keep his cage where he could gradually get used to cold weather so you could release him outside sooner than spring? Second thought: that's probably a bad idea, in the sense that he would need time to find a new home, and it's kind of cold to be looking for a new hideaway.