India: Crowd violently attacks PETA volunteer for asking them to go ‘Vegan’ this Eid

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Bhopal: The call given by People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) to Muslims to observe a vegetarian Eid this year has failed to find favour with the community. Instead, it met with violent protests by Islamic groups today.

Benazir Suraiya, a volunteer of PETA, had appealed to the Muslims to ‘go vegetarian’ on Eid. She had placed her request at one of Asia’s largest mosques – Taj – ul – Masjid.

Benazir adorned a green hijab to promote vegetarianism and walked towards the Mosque with other PETA volunteers. They all held banners that read “Make Eid Happy for All Try Vegan”.
More:
Crowd violently attacks PETA volunteer for asking them to go ‘Vegan’ this Eid (India TV, 22. Sep 2014)

I have sympathy for Muslims because of the violence they've suffered over the years, but they do protest far too often. It's usually over minor issues and this instance is no different.

PETA was inappropriate, so they met with equal inappropriateness.
There is a time and a place, and when you get those RIGHT, you do not meet with hostility.
I think there is a need to reach all communities/cultures/countries....but NOT through religion.

Reactions: Blobbenstein
PETA was inappropriate, so they met with equal inappropriateness.
There is a time and a place, and when you get those RIGHT, you do not meet with hostility.
I think there is a need to reach all communities/cultures/countries....but NOT through religion.
I suppose Eid is the feast at the end of a month of fasting (Ramadan), so maybe some of these Muslims would have been looking forward to their favourite meal (presumably something involving a dead animal) for a whole month. Ravenous with hunger, they were confronted with this young woman and her group with placards, trying to guilt people into eating lettuce leaves instead of a meal of substance ... I can see how that could turn ugly with some people!

I think religion can play a role, but it shouldn't be the only way.

Welcome to the board!

Reactions: Stained