In search of knowledge. possible convert to your ways.

Have you ever heard of lactose intolerance causing dental problems/dry mouth?

• Yes (please provide more info)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

drgonzo08

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Hey,

For the longest time, up until maybe a month ago, I would have said that someone that refuses to drink milk in most cases is probably following some fad. How can that many people be lactose intolerant etc? I might have said that if you can't tolerate milk, you might as well give up on life. In other words, I was a harsh skeptic.

For years I've been plagued by an extremely dry mouth at night (on and off, not all the time). So dry that it would wake me up every 10 to 15 minutes for water. This has resulted in major erosion of my teeth. I've been to dentists and doctors, and they've always suggested the cause must be related to simple dehydration, caffeine consumption, past or present use of antidepressant medication etc. In other words, they never looked at my issue seriously or even contemplated the possibility my dry mouth might be related to diet.
I'm 32.. my teeth are now in fairly bad shape and I have moderate osteoarthritis. How can this be? I've always consumed plenty of milk, which is meant to be good for teeth and bones, etc. I don't drink, don't smoke and have always looked after my health. If you were to compare my diet and lifestyle with that of the average person, you'd call me a health freak (although your perception of what constitutes good health is probably different from mine considering this post).

Turns out milk was causing the extreme dry mouth. It took me a long time to figure it out because... well there's NOTHING on the internet that would suggest milk is a cause of such and the doctors etc certainly haven't helped. It's not that I consider the internet to be the epitome of wisdom, but in this day and age I find that health professionals are lacking in knowledge/concern over many issues.. so one is forced to search for their own answers. So, I come here for answers. For those that perhaps have been aware of how bad milk is for much longer than I, where's the research? Are there bigger forums that you all might know about where I could find answers? Have you ever heard of someone experiencing dry mouth as a result of lactose? I always thought that lactose intolerance meant an upset stomach.

It took me 32 years to realise I had an intolerance to milk. What damage has all that milk caused I wonder? How much worse off would I be if it took me another 10-20 years to find out? I'm a reasonably clued on person... how many more people simply have no idea and are experiencing other symptoms and health consequences as a result of milk? I hate to think? I now consider the issue of milk to be similar to say, the mainstream view that saturated fat is bad for you.

Thanks for any information you may be able to provide!

Tom

Hi Tom. The trouble with food today is that you don't know what chemicals are going into it. Years ago milk was probably fine, I grew up on it. But now I think allergies are caused by the treatment our food is getting to make it keep longer, produce greater amounts, etc. The appalling treatment of the meat and dairy producing animals is heartbreaking and as people are becoming more and more aware of this, it's hard to have sympathy for those who continue to eat them.

https://www.whitelies.org.uk/

Turn away from all animal products and then see how you are. :)

Well done for doing your own research and getting a solution. Doctors can only reccomend solutions that work 80% of the time, medicine and related factors are complex, they can't get it right every time.

Milk from cows is meant for cows not humans so in way it makes sense that some humans can't digest it. Milk is not needed for health but make sure you get some vegan sources of calcium like almonds.

I never heard about dry mouth in relation to milk, but it can cause indigestion and some other issues.

Also, it is surprising how cruel the dairy industry is. Cows that are milked are often kept in very small spaces and forced to get constantly pregnant and separated from their young and then killed when they become less efficient at producing milk. It's a pretty sad life and another reason to give up milk.