Impossible Foods Misleads Consumers

That’s just awful. The integrity of this company is now called into question, and they could lose their prestige and standing in the vegan community, not to mention the loss of potentially thousands of customers.

What the actual F**K?

To summarize the article, at “Natural Products Expo West”, the company had a cook prepare “vegan meatballs” that contained, however, dairy cheese (which they only admitted afterwards).

Why would an ostensibly vegan company even think of doing such a thing?

Burger King’s Whopper Is Going 100% Meatless With Impossible Burger Patties

Knowing now what we do about the company that makes the Impossible Burger, this presents a dilemma for veg*ans. Should Burger King’s new addition to their menu be supported even though they’ve chosen the Impossible Burger for their meatless Whopper, or should it be avoided to send a message to the Impossible Burger’s maker that they can’t be supported because of their questionable ethics?

It seems that some of these companies are targeting omnis motivated by health or the environment rather than vegans who prioritize animal cruelty as a motivation. The fact that any of this stuff is vegan is a bonus, IMHO. I still don't know whether there are enough vegans to make a difference with a boycott, but I know I will be avoiding it.

Reactions: Amy SF
Yes, it's still good that omnis can choose it, even with it's history. From news reports and a few people I know, the Beyond Burger is a real hit!
I look at it like Trader Joes, they offer soy creamer with their coffee samples, have lots of vegan items, but they first and foremost cater to a general omni shopper and screw over vegans every turn with random out of place beetles, honey, beeswax....Like you start feeling like you've made it, then realize it's just pretend :im:

The "vegan meatballs" headline is misleading, probably deliberately by the look of it. The company never said that these were vegan meatballs as far as I can see and I don't agree that this is implied by the fact that they have stated that they make plant based meat. As far as I know, the company has never declared itself 100% vegan in every product?

So one person verbally made a mistake about whether one product contains cheese. It's not like they put it in writing as an official policy, and then broke that, which would be a different thing altogether. Mistakes can get made in a verbal conversation.

This company will replace meat burgers, help end factory farming, and reduce animal suffering and deaths thousands of times more than most vegans ever will.

Probably 5-10% of their customers are vegan, but 90-95% are not. They are going to be primarily interested in keeping 90-95% of their customers happy than 5-10%.

Should Burger King’s new addition to their menu be supported even though they’ve chosen the Impossible Burger for their meatless Whopper, or should it be avoided to send a message to the Impossible Burger’s maker that they can’t be supported because of their questionable ethics?

I guess we should support it by telling carnists to eat it :)

Probably 5-10% of their customers are vegan, but 90-95% are not. They are going to be primarily interested in keeping 90-95% of their customers happy than 5-10%.

Indeed. Their communications show they aim mainly at meat eaters.

Fine with me, I love the Beyond Burger....

I have, however, a question regarding this "Impossible Whopper".

The review video where a journalist bought Whoppers without patties and then visited Impossible Foods in Silicon Valley to have them add their patty, also showcased the broiler conveyor belt that Burger King is using to charbroil their patties.

It seems that preparing a patty on this conveyor belt would lead to a lot of the juices and fat from the patty dripping down on the conveyor that seems rather difficult to clean. (I guess they are cleaned daily to ensure faultless operation)

patty.jpg

So ... will Burger King then use separate conveyor lines for their vegan patties to avoid cross-contamination, or will both dead animal patties and impossible patties be prepared on the same line?

In the latter case, I guess I will abstain from trying them out (feelings for Impossible Food nonwithstanding)

Reactions: PTree15 and Amy SF
I seen the video that the guy was lied too and I believe the impossible burger people were acting snooty about it like they were covering up something when asked if they were fully vegan .