Impossible Burger tested on rats

How stupid and useless!
I know Beyond Burger is getting rave reviews (mostly from omnivores!), and is available here. I haven't seen nor heard of Impossible Burgers locally

I guess when you write “stupid and useless “ you mean the testing, not the protests?

I would agree... they decided to make it even more “lifelike” with fake blood they had to add a new ingredient “heme” made from plants which required the animal testing, as opposed to e.g. the “Beyond Burger “ which uses normal ingredients but is possibly not as “real”. So we can assume they made the decision to kill some animals to get a product with superior marketing capabilities, if we are generous, we can say because they want to “save as many animals as possible “, if we are less generous because we think they likely want to earn more money.

(And very likely they also made the decision that their main market is meat eaters and that offending a few vegans was well worth it - again, if we are generous we can assume they were motivated by utilitarianism)

(And very likely they also made the decision that their main market is meat eaters and that offending a few vegans was well worth it - again, if we are generous we can assume they were motivated by utilitarianism)
I'm a little surprised PETA would take issue with this since they're super utilitarian, IIRC. Though I suppose there's a difference between "opposing" and "not backing" a product.

I was looking forward to trying an Impossible Burger until I read this. Sigh. I’m well aware that other things I eat were at some point tested on captive animals. But to choose to do so now, when we know the clear limits of information gained in such practices, and not even legally required.... ugh.

Yes, the 'stupid and useless' was definitely targeted towards the research! :dismay:
Beyond Burger is getting so much love from omnivores! People I talk to don't want a plant based burger to have the look of meat, they just something that tastes really good, satisfying, affordable, and healthier.

and why doesn't it say anything about adding heme iron? or did I miss that? I only got the taste factor

I have zero desire to try the Impossible Burger. I liked the Beyond burger, but that would have to be a rare treat!

Even from a business perspective their decision to test the burger on rats makes no sense at all. Especially for a company that supposedly aims to eliminate the killing of animals. It's more likely that the product will attract vegetarians and meat-eaters who are looking for some meatless alternatives.

A different perspective: The Impossible Burger debate was a test for vegans, and we failed. - The Tree Kisser

Like the author above, I’ve had the Impossible Burger and I think it’s very good. I’m tired of mushy, tasteless bean burgers being the only veg option on many menus and I think this product will appeal to the meat-eating masses unlike anything else out there right now. And, also like the author above, I wonder what the development of “clean” meat will mean for veganism - it’s going to get interesting!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Brandon
A different perspective: The Impossible Burger debate was a test for vegans, and we failed. - The Tree Kisser

Like the author above, I’ve had the Impossible Burger and I think it’s very good. I’m tired of mushy, tasteless bean burgers being the only veg option on many menus and I think this product will appeal to the meat-eating masses unlike anything else out there right now. And, also like the author above, I wonder what the development of “clean” meat will mean for veganism - it’s going to get interesting!!!
The point of that article wasn't that vegans should eat Imposssible Burgers; it was that vegans shouldn't attack each other over minor issues, and the author herself indicates she's not sure what's minor and what's not.

I don't see how Impossible Burger's decision to test on rats who were then killed and dissected is any different from similar animal testing of cosmetics.

While I prefer a product that kills x number of animals upfront over a product that kills an animal every time the product is manufactured, that doesn't mean that I want to (or should feel the need to) "support" either product.

I’m not sure what this “bleeding”quality is. o_O In both local restaurants where I’ve had Impossible Burgers, they have not “bled” - at all. They do have a more interesting texture than a normal restaurant veggie burger - firmer, kind of like the old Boca Burgers, without the dry, chalky mouth feel.

BTW, I find this is also an interesting take (while I, of course, certainly do not agree with their perspective):

The Problem With Veggie Burgers So Real They Bleed - Modern Farmer
I understand that. I think it's going to be really hard for people not motivated by personal ethics to stop eating animals as long as food is compared to meat
For me, even giving up cheese is probably easier if I just avoid it, with things like olives and artichokes filling it's void. I find that when I can't get Daiya on sale, (like for the last 4 months or so!) I start eyeing the dairy. Same with ice cream.
I do know there's a lot of omnis who really like the Beyond Burger, and if it were cheaper may just replace all burgers. But it isn't. Like most vegan faux foods they're either more expensive, or lacking in the qualities meat and dairy eaters want.
Look at the non dairy milk offerings crowding the shelves! SO much evidence dairy is bad, coupled with the even higher prices of so called organic or lactose free dairy--and the very taste and healthy choices readily available. Now that's been a BIG win!

Reactions: Mischief
How stupid and useless!
I know Beyond Burger is getting rave reviews (mostly from omnivores!), and is available here. I haven't seen nor heard of Impossible Burgers locally
I have tried both, most recently the Impossible Burger on a "mystery shop" my friend was doing. She didn't want to order it, but the reimbursement for the meal was a good deal, so she ordered some sort of salad with dead flesh (blech), and I ate the Impossible Burger. I basically got it for free.

I tried it before knowing this about the animal testing. *sigh* I have to say, it was creepily burger-like. Disclaimer: I haven't had a cow burger in decades, but it had the texture and taste of what I remember a pan-fried burger was like. It also didn't "bleed" at all. The Beyond Burger (which I ate at a BurgerFi) also is really good, but the Impossible Burger more closely resembles a cow burger, IMHO. The animal testing is indeed really disappointing, though. I suspect this product is aimed more at "health" types who want to cut down on eating dead flesh who might not have a problem with animal testing. In the end, it could lead to less flesh being consumed overall, but I'm not sure I can stomach it now knowing that an ingredient was tested on animals. :( It's such a tricky landscape trying to cut into the mega-industrial dead flesh market and I guess there just aren't enough vegans yet for mass-market appeal, and thus, lots of money to be made.

Reactions: Brian W and shyvas